corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Johns sensible debate on PS3 architecture

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Johns sensible debate on PS3 architecture
topshot_2k
Banned

User status: Offline
21st Mar 07 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can someone exlain why sonys issues with its memroy/mem bus etc are not a major facotr in its future performance.

and also why the 'hard to program' issue is not really a problem.

[Edited on 21-03-2007 by topshot_2k]
Marc

21st Mar 07 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

John

21st Mar 07 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I was into it years ago when it was being argued about you just had to be more efficient with your coding to get round the memory architecture.

There was plenty of bandwidth on the bus it used though if you program it properly.

I'm well out of touch now though.

You need to code differently and spend more time working out how to do things on the ps3.

Time and cost are related so I imagine developers are looking at it from that perspective, in which case yes I can agree the 360 will be better to develop for.

I will research the latest on this tomorrow if I happen to get a chance in work.
topshot_2k
Banned

21st Mar 07 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so it could either mean more expensive games or not as good quality?
John

21st Mar 07 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes.

If they have to develop in the same timescale at same costs as the 360 they wouldn't be using the full resources of the ps3.

As I said though this is from literally years ago, i'm well out of date so things could have changed.
Rob_Quads

21st Mar 07 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It COULD mean that but it could also mean that give it a year or so then we could start to see some stunning games.

Think how long it took for them to get the hang of the PS2 - years!!.
John

21st Mar 07 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes games for both systems will definitely improve with age.
Steve
Premium Member

21st Mar 07 at 19:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also interesting to note all new ps3 games for the time being will be 360 ports
topshot_2k
Banned

21st Mar 07 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes i pointed this out before steve, it fell on deaf ears though
Tim
Site Administrator

21st Mar 07 at 19:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The one thing that is worth mentioning is that people keep comparing the main system bus speed of the PS3, against the eDRAM bus speed (effectively a framebuffer?) on the Xbox.

At least compare like for like -- not that you really can when the architectures are so different.

I'm no fan boy, but unless you have actually programmed for the device and profiled it you can't really speculate on where the bottlenecks exist.

I'm not saying one is better than the other -- give it 12 months and it'll be a different conversation I'm sure...
Steve
Premium Member

21st Mar 07 at 19:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tim
The one thing that is worth mentioning is that people keep comparing the main system bus speed of the PS3, against the eDRAM bus speed (effectively a framebuffer?) on the Xbox.

At least compare like for like -- not that you really can when the architectures are so different.

I'm no fan boy, but unless you have actually programmed for the device and profiled it you can't really speculate on where the bottlenecks exist.

I'm not saying one is better than the other -- give it 12 months and it'll be a different conversation I'm sure...

did you read what that games developer said? straight from the horses mouth
topshot_2k
Banned

21st Mar 07 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this isnt a comparison thread, fact is there has been potential/real issues with the PS3's design, i cant find anything that states what solutin is in the pipeline etc
Tim
Site Administrator

21st Mar 07 at 19:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's one opinion -- I know Cell developers and I know standard sparc/x86 developers, who would have no clue what the other were talking about.

It's one opinion on the internet, which we all know is full of BS. At the end of the days it plays game, at slightly varying FPS, and with comparable features (i.e. high definition movie playback) they don't cost all that much different. Can't we just all agree to disagree?
Tiesto

21st Mar 07 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

Motorstorm, F1?
topshot_2k
Banned

21st Mar 07 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what about the fact the PS3 has vastly under powered GPU compared to its rival?
topshot_2k
Banned

21st Mar 07 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiesto
quote:

Motorstorm, F1?

Call of duty, Fight night, Football games etc etc
Steve
Premium Member

21st Mar 07 at 20:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiesto
quote:

Motorstorm, F1?

they release titles?

i mean games that are already out that are sposed to be for both consoles
Steve
Premium Member

21st Mar 07 at 20:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tim
That's one opinion

maybe so, but out of everyone here i would have said he was the most qualified to form that opinion
Dom

21st Mar 07 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tim
That's one opinion

maybe so, but out of everyone here i would have said he was the most qualified to form that opinion

google for another 30mins and you will see a cell developer saying the complete opposite
like tim said, time for everyone to agree to disagree
Tim
Site Administrator

21st Mar 07 at 20:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's what I'm trying to say. We do a lot of work on Cell/Power/Sparc T1 processors and yes, if you run the same shader engine on all three then one will come out on top. It's the program design not the potential of the hardware.

That developer you cite Steve did also point this out -- the PS3 (if programmed for directly, rather than porting), has the potential to do things the Xbox never could.
Steve
Premium Member

21st Mar 07 at 20:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tim
That's one opinion

google for another 30mins and you will see a cell developer saying the complete opposite
like tim said, time for everyone to agree to disagree

in case you didnt read, he develops for both the ps3 and the 360 so he is a cell developer
Steve
Premium Member

21st Mar 07 at 20:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im happy about agreeing to disagree

i just think there is more evidence out there to support our argument at the moment that is all
Tim
Site Administrator

21st Mar 07 at 20:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I could throw around stats that are much higher on the PS3, but I think both sides of this argument will never concede...
John

21st Mar 07 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That is my point as well Tim, for every article they manage to google I could google another one saying the complete opposite.

When you don't quite know what your talking about though and you have to for some reason try and justify your purchase every minute of every day, they for some reason don't get this.
Steve
Premium Member

21st Mar 07 at 20:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

show me articles that show the gpu on the ps3 is better?

show me articles that show the memory bus is faster, in fact show me any article that shows the ps3 is faster apart from its cell processor as we already know that is faster but hampered

[Edited on 21-03-2007 by Steve]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll