corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » NEWS: Windows Vista + 4GB ram = Nirvana

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author NEWS: Windows Vista + 4GB ram = Nirvana
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

User status: Offline
21st Feb 07 at 07:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ripped from:

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9011523

quote:

Configuring a PC around the minimum hardware requirements of an application or operating system is lot like agreeing to live in a basement apartment. Sure, it will work as a place to live -- if you don't mind damp and dim living conditions.

Such may be the case for Windows Vista's minimum requirement of 512MB of RAM.

Microsoft's on-the-box minimum RAM requirement "really isn't realistic," according to David Short, an IBM consultant who works in its company's Global Services Divison. He says users should consider 4GB of RAM if they really want optimum Vista performance. With 512MB of RAM, Vista will deliver performance that's "sub-XP," he warned.

Interesting point of view from someone whos been on the Vista bangwagon for awhile, but DAMN 4GB of ram? I can see the chip makers rubbing their hands together! Maybe i've been out of the hardware game for too long (only got into it every time I look into upgrading) but 4GB seems fooking loads still, at home I'm still running 2GB which I think is ace.

Opinions? Flames? XBOX360 comments? shoot.
Matt H

21st Feb 07 at 07:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Definately get the 360, you can get points to proove how much time you dedicate to being 1 ov da gayz
willay
Premium Member

21st Feb 07 at 07:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mwah
topshot_2k
Banned

21st Feb 07 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its tripe, we have a copy of Ultimate at work and it runs fine on 1 gig of decent dual channel RAM
Bart

21st Feb 07 at 09:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i agree with the comments from David Short.
I have been using vista business for about a week, and now decided to install utlimate x64 on my main system last night. I did a clean fresh install, and installed dreamscene.
With just the bare minimum running, with only the clock running in the side bar, the cpu usage was fluxuating around 40%, idle! and i have an amd 3500 with 3gb of RAM.
i turned off dreamscene and it didnt make much difference, (which is good, because i liked it).

I found dwm.exe to be the main culprit, and when i looked on the net, i found that its to do with the pretty side of vista (graphical gui), that was sapping up memory usage.
Demo

21st Feb 07 at 09:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matt H
Definately get the 360, you can get points to proove how much time you dedicate to being 1 ov da gayz

mafoo i luv yoo
topshot_2k
Banned

21st Feb 07 at 09:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

should have got OS X and a PS3 TBPH
Corsa Sport Gav

21st Feb 07 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have ultimate running on 2gb and its fine, loads quicker than XP
ed

21st Feb 07 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have 2 gig. Though I want more. But that's for CAD software, not Vista. It runs fine on 2 gig for me. My 300 watt PSU on the other hand didn't last too long. Random blackouts and stuff Just replaced it with a 450 watt now though
topshot_2k
Banned

21st Feb 07 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

min PSU for todays parts should be 550w IMO
kz

21st Feb 07 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive been running vista ultimate for months with 512Mb and its perfect i must have super RAM or something
RKS

22nd Feb 07 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've got vista running on 2gb dual channel... and it runs shite, might look into another 2gb
Jamie Walby

22nd Feb 07 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

--Rikki-- are you --Dave-- brother?
Ian
Site Administrator

22nd Feb 07 at 18:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

4Gb of system RAM.

550w power consumption.

Has the world gone crazy.
Rob_Quads

22nd Feb 07 at 23:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't see the problem with what he is saying.

With 512 it does not run great - well we all knew that would be the case really

1GB it runs fairly well

After that the more memory you throw at it the better it works. If you can give it 4GB it will work very well.

i.e. they have improved thier product such that it takes advantage of systems with more memory better than previous version.

It all written to make it come across that its a bad point when the fact its its acutally a good thing - but then we can'y say Vistas actually good at something because that would be pro MS and thats not allowed.

Dom

22nd Feb 07 at 23:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how can it be a good thing that it gobbles your systems ram? It just makes the upgrading, or your new system, that bit more expensive. Meaning you're having to spend more just to keep your OS happy rather than actually gaining any performance out of the apps that you originally attened it for.
Ian
Site Administrator

23rd Feb 07 at 00:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't see using 4Gb of RAM as progress.
Rob_Quads

23rd Feb 07 at 00:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its not gobbling up system ram for no reason. Its learns the habbits of the users and preloads things into memory so that things load quicker.

Would you rather the memory just sat there unused?

The whole point is you don't HAVE to upgrade. If you have 2GB of ram it will run faster than XP did so if you are upgrading above that you are upgrading to get more out of the machine. If that is the case IMO you can't complain.
willay
Premium Member

23rd Feb 07 at 06:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
4Gb of system RAM.

550w power consumption.

Has the world gone crazy.

for workstations too
Bart

23rd Feb 07 at 08:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
Its not gobbling up system ram for no reason. Its learns the habbits of the users and preloads things into memory so that things load quicker.

well, yes.

If you only have 1gb of ram, and 99% of that is already filled up with your day to day programs, what options do you have if your going to do something out of the blue which consumes alot of memory? reboot every 5 mins?
topshot_2k
Banned

23rd Feb 07 at 08:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but on a like for like PC vista is faster than xp, if you have a low end machine why would you use vista?
Rob_Quads

23rd Feb 07 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bartwell, yes.

If you only have 1gb of ram, and 99% of that is already filled up with your day to day programs, what options do you have if your going to do something out of the blue which consumes alot of memory? reboot every 5 mins?

Er if you have filled up all your ram with applications and you load something extra it will page out to disk just like it does today in virtually all OSs?

As mentioned its preloading applications so its not the actual OS really using the RAM its software applications. If you go to load something and its preloaded something you are not running it gets dumped (which takes a fraction of a second) and then it loads up what you want.

Yup - If you have an older machine you're best sticking to XP but thats how technology works. Bit like saying I want to get HD picture out of my SD TV. No if you want a HD picture you have to upgrade your TV
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Feb 07 at 09:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think the point is that unlike xp, vista will utilise any ram you throw at it.

you could have 10gb of ram and it would still use it
John

23rd Feb 07 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads

well, yes.

You should go and research the memory technology then come back and delete that post tbh.
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Feb 07 at 10:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll