corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » xp pro x64

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author xp pro x64
Greg_M

User status: Offline
18th Jan 06 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can this be used on any system?

the only version is the 64bit version i bought for my new system, can this be used on another computer thats not 64bit?
oli_h

18th Jan 06 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no it needs a 64 bit processor
Bart

18th Jan 06 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would keep away from XP 64 bit. Theres very little supported drivers around at the moment.

Vista will be released later this year, and will be the new OS to superseed everything (so they hope). that will support 32bit and 64 bit. and i can image there will be plenty of drivers around.
Greg_M

18th Jan 06 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bugger. oh well only cost £90. im sure i can sell it on too some fool

where is the bestplace to get hold of XP, preferably Pro.

[Edited on 18-01-2006 by Greg_M]
Bart

18th Jan 06 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u2u me ur email addy, i'll email you the torrent.

im currently downloading xp pro at 100kbs
Greg_M

18th Jan 06 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u2u'd
topshot_2k
Banned

19th Jan 06 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

keep it, the 64bit OS its the the way forward, so keep it as more and more support is released/developed for it
PaulW

19th Jan 06 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
i would keep away from XP 64 bit. Theres very little supported drivers around at the moment.

Vista will be released later this year, and will be the new OS to superseed everything (so they hope). that will support 32bit and 64 bit. and i can image there will be plenty of drivers around.

again... vista might just come in 2 flavours again, and not be inter-operable!

i shall be getting vista upon release for free...

and its fully legal copy too
James_DT

19th Jan 06 at 23:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Vista will come in 64 and 32-bit flavours, indeed.
Bart

20th Jan 06 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by PaulW
quote:

again... vista might just come in 2 flavours again, and not be inter-operable!

i shall be getting vista upon release for free...

and its fully legal copy too

Vista will only be x64 and x86.

do you want a copy now?
PaulW

20th Jan 06 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Vista will only be x64 and x86.

fraid not

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/evaluate/hardware/entpguid.mspx#ECAA

note under AMD, that Sempron is listed as supported, and Intel support P4 with HT Tech, there are seperate mentions for 64bit CPU's all over the show, but 32bit support will be available via a seperate 'distro'

BUT

32bit will be phased out, as more hardware vendors jump onboard the 64bit bandwagon with Vista, so the 32bit will be mainly for legacy, and I reckon, eventually only available as Vista Embedded in some time to come...
John

20th Jan 06 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The 32 and 64 bit versions of xp just now are seperate distros though, so just the same.
PaulW

21st Jan 06 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
The 32 and 64 bit versions of xp just now are seperate distros though, so just the same.

exactly! but with vista, i reckon the 32bit one will be phased out, and becore more of a workstation platform (eg nt4 vs w95/w98) but for now both will be launched at the same market then the 64bit editions will flourish

what gets me though, is the rumoured amount of versions for Vista...

quote:
There will be two general categories of Windows Vista editions, which map closely to the two that exist today for XP ("Home," which comprises Starter, Home, and Media Center Editions, Pro, which includes Professional, Professional x64, and Tablet PC Editions). In Windows Vista, the two categories are Home and Business.

In the Home category, Microsoft will create four product editions: Windows Vista Starter Edition, Windows Vista Home Basic Edition, Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, and Windows Vista Ultimate Edition (previously known as "Uber" Edition).

In the Business category, there will are three editions: Windows Vista Small Business Edition, Windows Vista Professional Edition (previously known as Professional Standard Edition), and Windows Vista Enterprise Edition (previously known as Professional Premium Edition).

In all, there are seven product editions planned for Windows Vista (or nine, if you count the N Editions as being different). Note that all of these product names are placeholders for now: They could change before the final product is released. However, this breakdown of editions is current as of this week and is unlikely to change.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_editions.asp

crikey!!

that link also gives info on the 32 & 64bit flavours!

[Edited on 21-01-2006 by PaulW]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » xp pro x64 24 database queries in 0.0111341 seconds