corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Vista - Windows

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Vista - Windows
dave17

User status: Offline
1st Feb 07 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like XP for pissing around on the pc doing random stuff, but if im working (graphic designer) it would have to be a mac. PCs are stable enough, and some of the shortcuts in Photoshop/Quark are a JOKE.
John

1st Feb 07 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've never had to do any all day graphic design work or anything, or even had much experience with macs, but a properly built pc is perfectly stable.

A mac is just a pc afterall.
andy1868

1st Feb 07 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as Samls said, at the end of the day it comes down to preference, i don't like using a mac for anything because i'm so used to windows, and i can pretty much guarantee there'll be people that are the opposite etc
topshot_2k
Banned

1st Feb 07 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

build quality is shite aswell, we have 150ibooks and have had about 50% taken out of use to reapir CD drives/broken keyboards/touchpads and batteries
James_DT

2nd Feb 07 at 01:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by liamC
Fantastic GUI. Pisses on windows 10 times over. Windows new features are simply a rip off of MacOSX's Dashboard and Spotlight, these being the 'new' Windows sidebar and Search function.

Imitation is the best form of flattery. If it's a good idea, there's no reason it shouldn't be used by other manufacturers.
quote:

MacOSX is 10 times faster than Windows

No.
quote:
and all the shite that gets clogged up in the system over time takes its toll on Windows [...] NOTHING like that on Mac OSX.

OSX slows down over time just as versions of Windows and Linux do.

quote:

MacOSX; 114,000 less viruses than Windows to worry about. THIS IS FACT: http://www.apple.com/getamac/viruses.html ) - Therefore one less application to have to buy/download, one less application to have to keep pissing about updating, and one less application to eat up system resources.

No-one writes viruses for Macs because they have a significantly smaller market share. It's not that OSX is better, just that there's not really as much point.

quote:

I do not have to mess about installing and scanning for adaware and spyware every 5 minutes, nor do I have to defrag EVER. Again, 1/2 more applications I don't have to piss about installing, updating and scanning my machine.

I have no such protection on either of my Windows computers or Macs. It's about the user being clever enough to not install shit. Again, Spyware isn't really made for Macs because of it's market share.
quote:

As I say, a few of the honest genuine reasons why I moved across to MacOSX.

I don't think I'll ever move to OSX completely. There's a few things I use the computer for that, for what I need, Windows is better. Move to Mac hardware yes, move from Windows completely no.

Oh, and before I get accused of being biased towards Windows or whatever.... I'm writing this on my Macbook Pro, in OSX.
ed

2nd Feb 07 at 01:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by topshot_2k
build quality is shite aswell, we have 150ibooks and have had about 50% taken out of use to reapir CD drives/broken keyboards/touchpads and batteries
To be fair, a lot of non-Apple laptops fail. For example the Sony Vaio is a really pretty piece of kit, but the build quality is shite for something you would use every day. IBM Thinkpads on the other hand look crap, but are really well built pieces of kit that are designed for thier purpose - to be use all day every day.
ed

2nd Feb 07 at 01:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by liamC
quote:
Originally posted by ed
Don't like the Mac GUI. Don't like the Mac mouse and don't like the Mac keyboard. Hate the whole interface. It doesn't seem inintuative. I also use Macs on a regular basis so it's not because I am 'just used to Windows'.

Faster? Never noticed a difference. My current PC is shit hot and pisses all over the Macs I use - but then my PC is much better specced than them. It's like racing a 1.2 agains a 2.0.

Viruses. Never had one. Don't have any issues with my Virus scanner as it has been designed to use a little system resources. I use software which regurly uses over 2gig of RAM. I have 3gig installed and I don't get the associated problems you speak of.

Never had to defrag my disk on my last 2 PC's. Don't seem to have that problem.

Fair points, and as they say, opinions are like arseholes. I don't think you can beat the GUI of a mac personally...and the mac mouse is easily changeable, as is the keyboard.

Nice to see justified reasons to backup a statement unlike cybernumpty at the top of this page, which incidentally reminds me that I'm still waiting for him to prove that my fact was wrong.
Then I would have to carry around my own two button mouse and swap at every computer I use THe thing that annoys me about he keyboard is you have to use that funny button instead of CTRL. It's in the wrong place and doesn't feel comfortable to press. Apples and oranges though really.
topshot_2k
Banned

2nd Feb 07 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is the difference in the retail box compared to OEM as there is a £130 price difference?
John

2nd Feb 07 at 09:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OEM shoould only be sold with systems, although thats normally not the case.

OEM can also only be actuivated on one computer afaik.

Too many changes and you should be locked out.
topshot_2k
Banned

2nd Feb 07 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh, because i had OEM version of XP and i used that on about 6 different machines.

TBH its cheaper to just buy a new OEM version if it 'locks' me out rather than buy the retail one
Samls

2nd Feb 07 at 09:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
quote:
Originally posted by Samls
On top of that i Generally didnt like the new graphic interface, I felt they were trying to copy mac. ~ bill gates admitted recently he wanted to be as graphically sound as apple!

php & mysql werent executing queries properly ~ as per all windows OS's but it was perticularly bad in vista!
There were a lot of functions that were good in vista, like the volume controling as per application and the better networking interface and backend.

At the end of the day its down to the users preference.

Id advise you to download an illegal copy and dual boot for a few weeks, if you like it buy it, if you don't throw the partition away

i suggest you brush on your code then php and sql works just fine with vista

lol not gunna even comment!
topshot_2k
Banned

2nd Feb 07 at 09:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why if vista doesnt support it properly please post it here ?
topshot_2k
Banned

2nd Feb 07 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just found out that the copy is tied to the Motherboard, meaning you have to phone MS support and ask for a reactivation key if you upgrade the mainboard
John

2nd Feb 07 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by topshot_2k
oh, because i had OEM version of XP and i used that on about 6 different machines.

TBH its cheaper to just buy a new OEM version if it 'locks' me out rather than buy the retail one

I said should.

I know fine well there are always ways around it.

You seem to be a bit of a clown though
topshot_2k
Banned

2nd Feb 07 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why am i a clown?
John

2nd Feb 07 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry topshot, i've quoted the wrong thing, nothing wrong with what you were sayin.

Was supposed to be the other guy.
topshot_2k
Banned

2nd Feb 07 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steve
Premium Member

2nd Feb 07 at 11:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
On top of that i Generally didnt like the new graphic interface, I felt they were trying to copy mac. ~ bill gates admitted recently he wanted to be as graphically sound as apple!

php & mysql werent executing queries properly ~ as per all windows OS's but it was perticularly bad in vista!
There were a lot of functions that were good in vista, like the volume controling as per application and the better networking interface and backend.

Id advise you to download an illegal copy and dual boot for a few weeks, if you like it buy it, if you don't throw the partition away

no, i wouldnt, youve already made a big enough tit of yourself

[Edited on 02-02-2007 by Steve]
topshot_2k
Banned

2nd Feb 07 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Samls

2nd Feb 07 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

no, i wouldnt, youve already made a big enough tit of yourself

[Edited on 02-02-2007 by Steve]

are u the dvver of vagweb?
Steve
Premium Member

2nd Feb 07 at 21:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes why, what of it?
James

2nd Feb 07 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PMSL, this guy is of CHUMP.

Makes comments about stuff without backing them up.

And he's only 17

[Edited on 02-02-2007 by James]
Doug

2nd Feb 07 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I install vista business will I have to re-install office? or will it keep it? been sooo long since I have done a new install of a OS on a current PC. Just wondering if any programs etc stay there or if I will have to acquire them again
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Feb 07 at 00:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you do an upgrade they will remain
Cybermonkey

3rd Feb 07 at 00:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LMFAO at this thread now. php and mysql not working with Vista what a crock of shit. i have been running WAMP5 utilising apache and mysql for the last 3 months on a Vista RC2 build. It has been running non-stop for 3 MONTHS and has not let me down yet.

LiamC, James_DT seems to have got most of the points across, i do not see the need for you to start insulting me. You have not actually provided proof yourself in your existing argument, you just rattled that shit off hoping no one would question your 'superior' intellect. Mac's suck. They offer NO speed advantage over normal PC's running XP/Vista, yes, they do not have the same problems when it comes to adware/viruses, but i have never ever had any problem with any of these things EVER. The only people that do, are too fucking stupid and click on emails like FREEHOTSEX or PENIS_STIMULATION_THROUGH_THE_NOSE

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll