corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » lowering 60mm, *update* NOW DONE and rubbing on 14" wheels?! too low @ front?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author lowering 60mm, *update* NOW DONE and rubbing on 14" wheels?! too low @ front?
Stokie Dave

User status: Offline
29th Jan 07 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi guys, I picked up a 60mm full kit for my Corsa B Sport yesterday so will get it fitted soon... is there anything special I need to know? I wont get any problems with fouling pipes or anything by dropping 60mm?

Also I know it puts the camber out a bit... should I worry too much or is it really worth getting adjustable top mounts and fancy stuff (I dont really understand it ) or just deal with the fact it'll eat tyres a bit quicker? I dont really go gunning around corners full ball, this is more for looks and just get rid of the stupid amounts of bodyroll the standard suspension has

cheers!

[Edited on 04-02-2007 by Stokie Dave]
Joe

29th Jan 07 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope will be fine on all accounts. What wheels do you have?
Stokie Dave

29th Jan 07 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

at the moment ive got the standard 14" 3 spokes... lol will look low!

in long run will be upgrading to 15" vauxhall wheels, so et49 all being well unless they're astra gls wheels like i had before which i think are et46 but 5.5" wide and i'd have 195/45's on them.
Alex16v

29th Jan 07 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My wheels were 195/40/16 ET 42 lowered 40mm and i had to get whiteline camber bolts. I killed two toyo proxes before i noticed though lol.
Stokie Dave

31st Jan 07 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol i do expect to kill front tyres a bit quicker but if people think it's a bit OTT getting camber bolts if I wont really notice the benefits I wont bother for now.

Cheers all
Stokie Dave

3rd Feb 07 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tis done now, the front looks a lil lower than the back but that seems common on most 60mm kits...

only problems so far are:

exhaust is banging on back axle
steering wheel off centre so will go get it tracked and sorted

thats it lol... will everything else be ok then, no pipes or anything be affected? im dead paranoid lol
Vaux Lad

3rd Feb 07 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmm, it shouldn't have changed the steering wheel at all... as you dont touch the track rod ends etc to fit the kit.

The back will probably lower more once the springs settle in after a few miles.
csweatherston

3rd Feb 07 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

indeed.......i was just about to write that

standard shocks may give up on you tho...
broster
Premium Member

3rd Feb 07 at 16:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Vaux Lad
Hmm, it shouldn't have changed the steering wheel at all... as you dont touch the track rod ends etc to fit the kit.

hes fitted new dampers and springs, that sit lower. itll totally change the geometry of the front so yes it will need tracking up, id look at elongation the top holes on the damper aswell so you can play with the camber.
Stokie Dave

3rd Feb 07 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah tis a full kit peeps so everythings different and cut down bumpstops @ the front too (maybe thats why the front looks lower? lol)

i am just hoping when i get it tracked the steering wheel wont have to be taken off haha.. it drives straight, steering wheel just turned a bit rather than level.

handles mint (well compared to standard crap lol) but exhaust will do my nut in so will sort that soon... i had some mechanic dude saying its off centre cuz of the camber and he would have sorted it for me if i'd have paid him 80+ vat to do the whole job but i tried explaining u need to do as u said mark and get camber bolts etc.. too skint for now lol

[Edited on 03-02-2007 by Stokie Dave]
Skylined

3rd Feb 07 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how u gonna sort the exhaust? Mine bangs aswel
Stokie Dave

3rd Feb 07 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i want a custom system putting on before long but im told a bit of adjustment will sort it? pain in the ass it sounds horible lol... its fine till u got stuff in the boot/people in the back though
Poot

3rd Feb 07 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fitted my spax 60mm shocks and jamex springs--

-tracking was miles out, mental amount of toe out
-camber looks a bit crazy, i personally think this contributes a lot to tramlining
-exhaust is sat on back axle
Burnt out 2 new toyo proxes in less than a month before getting eibach camber adjustable bolts
-not to mention a rough ride

and.....

now one of the adjustable bolts has now broken
seriously condisering flogging the whole lot and getting a 40mm kit, the problems lowering this much bring are doing my head in
Stokie Dave

4th Feb 07 at 02:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did a trial tonight 4 people in the car inc me...

exhaust was prob actually resting on axle

my front inner plastic arches have been mashed to bits as the front is seriously low, it looks a lot lower than the back (well a bit).

I brought the kit 2nd hand, I think its not a 1.6 specific kit, more so one to fit any model... so am wondering if I may be better off with the 40mm GSi springs on the front? uprated for extra weight?

anyone else had problems with their inner arches gettin mashed up on the very outer front edge when going down 60mm? thats on 14" sport wheels with 185/60 tyres! lol!

excuse the pic i've only just come in:

[Edited on 04-02-2007 by Stokie Dave]
Toby
Premium Member

4th Feb 07 at 10:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mines that low, worn away a bit of the arch inners on the fron and doesnt rub on standard sport alloys! but thats with a x14xe so with a bit of extra wieght i would consider different springfs
Stokie Dave

4th Feb 07 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah this is an x16xe... some better pics, what do u think guys? springs too soft for it to sit that low? or bumpstops cut down too much? i used the ones which came with the shocks, they looked about half the size of the standard GM ones we took off.

Vaux Lad

4th Feb 07 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fooook me.
The front looks mega slammed for 60mm.

Sure they aint 60mm nova springs? lol

[Edited on 04-02-2007 by Vaux Lad]
Stokie Dave

4th Feb 07 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'll go see if i can see the part number on the spring in a bit to check

i've just been trawling the forums and i'm wondering if it's because i have bumpstops on which were chopped in half??
Vaux Lad

4th Feb 07 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont think it will be the bump stops, the springs set the heigh of the car if i remember rightly.
mattk

4th Feb 07 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats why im only going - 35 mm
abdus

4th Feb 07 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you just need to get lower profile tyres...
Stokie Dave

4th Feb 07 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they're the standard size tyres, wanna put 15" vauxhall wheels on with 195/45's in long run though..
Jake

4th Feb 07 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

front end of my car looked that low when i fitted 60mm apex kit without bumpstops. Put the bumpstops back in and raised the car up abit. As long as the shocks arent bottoming out you should be ok.
Stokie Dave

4th Feb 07 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'd not run it without bumpstops lol... but im wondering if the shortened ones are my problem.. they dont bottom out though, been for a drive today and the arch linings have kinda moulded into shape where the wheels caught them so thats almost sorted lol, im sure the back is settling a little bit too but just worried the front is too low? dont want it popping cv joints and stuff and putting too much pressure on driveshafts if i wanna put me toe down
JayT

4th Feb 07 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

god that does look low at the front lol, back looks like it needs to settle a bit more which im sure it will! what kit is it mate? i wanna go 60mm on my next corsa, you had any problems with the speed bumps!

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll