corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Using other people Wireless Connections

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Using other people Wireless Connections
Rob_Corsa

User status: Offline
   27th Dec 06 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive recently setup the Livebox I got from orange and I can see about 5 other wireless routers from my pc.

Is it common for poeple to use other peoples connections rather than their own?
andy1868

27th Dec 06 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its kind of stealing really, most people have protection on ie passwords etc. but you'd be surprised to find that alot of people don't and you can access their connection.
drax

27th Dec 06 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes you can see them its fine, to use them, technically your putting yourself at risk if they know what they are doing and you connect as you are infact conntecting to their network most of the time.

It is abit like stealing as well.

Most of them as posted are secured
Rob_Corsa

27th Dec 06 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah thats what im wondering, I only get a 2 gig allowance and if someone else was using it to I reckon it could be used up within an hour or two if downloading off limewire or the like
andy1868

27th Dec 06 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh as drax said and i forgot to mention, its totally normal to see them come up when you're looking for a connection because for all your computer knows you own the other connections too.

as long as you protect your connection they shouldn't be able to use yours and your allowance is safe

[Edited on 27-12-2006 by andy1868]
ssj_kakarot

27th Dec 06 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im sure i read something along the lines that if a persons wireless network is unsecured in the eyes of the law its not illegal for you to use it.

im sure it was precident from a case i was reading about, although im not 100% sure and it might not have been in this country.

tbh if people dont know how to even add wep encryption to a router its a safe bet they would never click on if your using it, obviously its not ethical to download hundreds of gigs worth of data from some one elses connection.

then again you might not think its ethical to use some ones connection full stop lol.

New Poll