corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Corsa C SRi vs 106 GTi/Saxo VTS

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa C SRi vs 106 GTi/Saxo VTS
Reedy

User status: Offline
16th Nov 06 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave A
quote:
Originally posted by johnhara1
106gti hands down IMO

a 106gti will keep up with an XE corsa until around 70mph before it gets left.

there lighter and have about the same bhp as the 1.8 SRi iirc they have gr8 little revvy engines.

not really. I have a 1.8 sri (well it belongs to the missus) I have also owned a 2 litre corsa and lots of other hothatches over the years.

the 106 gti doesnt keep up with a 2 litre corsa until 80mph at all. the corsa leaves it rather easily infact

up to 80 mph the corsa 1.8 sri is almost identical to a Vts or 106Gti. although the weight advantage that the saxo/106 has through the corners is a big advantage and on twisty roads the corsa would lose out.

but give me a 1.8 sri anyday over a tinny french box. for the fun factor the corsa puts a smile on my face, handles well from standard, EASILY outbrakes a 106/saxo and has a much more solid feel to it. I would rather have the knowledge that if I crashed I am likely to survive rather than be 0.7 seconds faster through a corner than the next car.....

the breaks are fine on the 106 gti, they stop me fine everyday.

Dave i would like to prove your theory wrong I believe 106 gti is alot better than the corsa c 1.8
Cybermonkey

16th Nov 06 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a lot better how
Cupra Steve
Banned

16th Nov 06 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'd prefer the 106 tbh, i drove my mates 1.4 sri and it didn't feel nice to drive??? Steering felt tooo light!!!!! Had no feel of it at all.
johnhara1

16th Nov 06 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i drove a 1.2 sxi and i agree the steering felt v light. I prefer non power steering to be honest espec on a fast car.
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

16th Nov 06 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well maybe its because im more confident underbraking than most people but I find that the corsa 1.8 sri brakes are probably some of the best brakes I have ever used on a standard hatchback. infact form 60mph theres not much in it to my 4pots.
Reedy

16th Nov 06 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey
a lot better how

erm:

Performance
Handling

The main features of a good car
Dave A

16th Nov 06 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and anyway, these threads are pointless, I dont know why I bother posting in them. its 90% the ability of the driver anyway.
Reedy

16th Nov 06 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
well maybe its because im more confident underbraking than most people but I find that the corsa 1.8 sri brakes are probably some of the best brakes I have ever used on a standard hatchback. infact form 60mph theres not much in it to my 4pots.

I cant comment on the 1.8 sri but i have driven a 1.4 sri and going off that i can only judge my opinion.
Dave A

16th Nov 06 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well unless people have driven both cars for a paticular length of time they cant comment on which is better to drive.

all I can say is that the corsa:

is a lot more solid
safer
brakes better
just as quick in a straight line
more refined
more comfortable
looks 100 x less chavvy/boy racer image
isnt as fast through bends
not anywhere near as tunable for sensible money
is cheaper to run and insure
is more reliable
deano87

16th Nov 06 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
not really. I have a 1.8 sri (well it belongs to the missus) I have also owned a 2 litre corsa and lots of other hothatches over the years.

the 106 gti doesnt keep up with a 2 litre corsa until 80mph at all. the corsa leaves it rather easily infact

up to 80 mph the corsa 1.8 sri is almost identical to a Vts or 106Gti. although the weight advantage that the saxo/106 has through the corners is a big advantage and on twisty roads the corsa would lose out.

but give me a 1.8 sri anyday over a tinny french box. for the fun factor the corsa puts a smile on my face, handles well from standard, EASILY outbrakes a 106/saxo and has a much more solid feel to it. I would rather have the knowledge that if I crashed I am likely to survive rather than be 0.7 seconds faster through a corner than the next car.....

[Edited on 16-11-2006 by deano87]
Steve
Premium Member

16th Nov 06 at 10:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i agree about everything in that list dave, the brakes on the 106 std are quite shocking, although i dont agree with the straight line speed, 0-100 on the corsa is 29 seconds!! 21 for the VTS
johnhara1

16th Nov 06 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
and anyway, these threads are pointless, I dont know why I bother posting in them. its 90% the ability of the driver anyway.

it would have been better if the thread started had been more clear what he wanted to know ie. what better in a str8 line, handling, comfort or the likes.

agreed it is the ability or confidence of the driver when its through the twisties but on a str8 road its not, any idiot can shift gear and put there foot down.
Paul_J

16th Nov 06 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what a silly post.

106 gti is 120 bhp (though most made closer to 130 standard) and weighs just about 900 kg...

Corsa C 1.8 Sri must be over a tonne at least.

End of.

and that's standard, chuck a £135 exhaust and £40 filter on the 106 gti and as said it'll be near 140 bhp (probably due to the fact they're closer to 130 bhp from standard anyway).

and then 1.8 Sri wont' even be close.
Cupra Steve
Banned

16th Nov 06 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
i agree about everything in that list dave, the brakes on the 106 std are quite shocking, although i dont agree with the straight line speed, 0-100 on the corsa is 29 seconds!! 21 for the VTS

They must both be tosh, if a 106 gti does a 1/4 mile in high 15's std at 95mph does it take another 6 secs to 100mph???
Steve
Premium Member

16th Nov 06 at 10:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my 106 did 15.4 standard 1/4 mile, my mates vts also ran a 15.0 1/4 totally standard

richys standard 106gti also ran a 15.3 at york

[Edited on 16-11-2006 by Steve]
Paul_J

16th Nov 06 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh I know one which did a 15.0 standard 1/4 mile.

Corsa 1.8 would be lucky to do a 16.5
Dave A

16th Nov 06 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

steve, you and I seem to agree on a lot of things. but the 0-100 figures quoted there are from a website that I have seen many times and most of the figures on it are not true. 8 seconds difference to 100 is nowhere near the real figure. infact the torque that the corsa c has at motorway speeds easily matches the extra weight it carries.
Cybermonkey

16th Nov 06 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
yeh I know one which did a 15.0 standard 1/4 mile.

Corsa 1.8 would be lucky to do a 16.5

mine did a 15.2...
Steve
Premium Member

16th Nov 06 at 10:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

didnt you say you made that up
Cybermonkey

16th Nov 06 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, but it felt pretty real when i was laying in bed.
cunningham

16th Nov 06 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

john you must have a shit valver if a standard vts or 106gti keeps up with you till aboot 60mph as soon as i stop spinning and get it in second am past and pulling hard

imo and i havent drove the 1.8sri c but the mrs has a 1.4sri i think the french tin can might just have it but it would be close still i would rather have a car that looks decent as standard and doesnt rip clutches engines and gearboxes apart
Marc

16th Nov 06 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey
yeah, but it felt pretty real when i was laying in bed.

jr

16th Nov 06 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

These threads are pointless, as bar a few people, evreyone stands up for what the drive, and it allways turns into a argument, as knowone can agree with each other
topshot_2k
Banned

16th Nov 06 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i drive none of them but have driven/been in all of them. i'd have the 106gti out of the lot.
Cybermonkey

16th Nov 06 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

jr, would you agree that the Corsa SRi is as fast as an RS Cosworth 3000 up to 23mph ?

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Corsa C SRi vs 106 GTi/Saxo VTS 22 database queries in 0.1926150 seconds