corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » After Constructice Criticism

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author After Constructice Criticism
Bart

User status: Offline
30th Aug 06 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im looking for some constructive criticism for our new website;

http://www.bridgesltd.co.uk

Its not FF friendly im afraid
Cosmo

30th Aug 06 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart

nuf said, as are a lot of FF users these days.
James

30th Aug 06 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:

nuf said, as are a lot of FF users these days.

Agreed
RyanSxi

30th Aug 06 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

had a quick browse, looking really professional
AndyKent

30th Aug 06 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

company logo is a little too high IMO. Perhaps not to deep so it doesn't cover so much of the page at the top - width is fine.

oh, and must be FF compatible - loose users otherwise if they can't even see the site.
James

30th Aug 06 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll have a look at it on FF when im home tonight, I already gave you my general opinions on it by u2u though. Looking very good. My new website will be live this weekend
Bart

30th Aug 06 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont know enough to make it ff compatible.

tbh though, ff only makes up a small percentage of users, and typically these are younger people, not the sort of people viewing this website.

IE is usually implimented accross the board with most companies (not all).
Dom

30th Aug 06 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

use frames or tables and it will work it 90% of browsers - its the DIVs that will cause you problems as IE/FF having different views on them

Personally i would split it into frames, one for the logo, menu, main body and a footer frame - as the only bit that seems to change is the body information
James

30th Aug 06 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
use frames or tables and it will work it 90% of browsers - its the DIVs that will cause you problems as IE/FF having different views on them

Personally i would split it into frames, one for the logo, menu, main body and a footer frame - as the only bit that seems to change is the body information

Frames are gay and tables are going to be phased out, if you want a fully XHTML/DDA compliant site you can't use either
Dom

30th Aug 06 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:
Originally posted by Dom

Frames are gay and tables are going to be phased out, if you want a fully XHTML/DDA compliant site you can't use either

thats a load of bollocks and hype, frames and tables will ALWAYS work as it's the basis of html - if it works, leave it thats what i say, plus it works on ALL browsers something which divs don't...like shown on barts site
James

30th Aug 06 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes but divs will work on all browsers

one day
James

30th Aug 06 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And out of frames and tables i'd pick tables
Bart

30th Aug 06 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmm.. decisions decisions.

Ive used tables/frames like 5/6 years ago when i first started getting to know websites. and Several ppl slated it because i was using them.

Its a mixed feeling i think
James

30th Aug 06 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I do web development for a living so I have to make sure all sites are compliant to all standards etc and these days divs are the only way to get that.

I'd much rather use tables though.

I've just finished redesigning my own website and I've come across a very fucking annoying height related bug in firefox that I can't fix
Dom

30th Aug 06 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

james - divs isn't a standard though, ie and firefox both have there own views on what a specific div tag does, hence why barts website doesn't display correctly. And until theres a standard, then i dont see why tables/frames should be forgotten, especially as majority of browsers will display them the same!

Still don't understand why people slate tables or frames/iframes, visually they'll do the same as using divs on a layout. Like they say, there are many ways to skin a cat!

As for choosing tables or frames - frames are useful if parts of the layout doesn't change, like on Barts website the logo, menu, footer etc Tables would mean sending reocurring data to the client, which in turns wastes bandwidth (the last thing you want to do!) and updating means hunting the sections down in every page!
Or use a combindation of the two, which is what i would do thinking about it rather than straight frames. And use an iframe (floating frame) on the mainbody section - would work in all browsers and a bandwidth saver at the same time!

Obviously you could use php with includes to do something similar.....
James_DT

30th Aug 06 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Safari shows the header image over the main text and navbar so you can't see or select the top 4 or 5 choices.
Steve
Premium Member

30th Aug 06 at 17:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i personally think firefox is gay, designers should stop designing there websites to be FF compatible, FF should start designing there browser to be compatible

had headaches galore making some features FF compatible on vagweb, and some still dont work, although its mainly down to javascript problems
John

30th Aug 06 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It doesn't work properly in IE7 or opera and though I haven't tried it myself or firefox.
You must have used stuff that wasn't even nearly a standard?
Steve
Premium Member

30th Aug 06 at 17:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its all div tags, no frames thats why
John

30th Aug 06 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So it doesn't work in anything accept probably IE6?
Steve
Premium Member

30th Aug 06 at 17:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

doesnt appear too
Marc

30th Aug 06 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I've viewed it using Firefox and all seemed ok.
Dan B

30th Aug 06 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1) I'm guessing that says "Welcome to Bridges Electrical Engineers Ltd" in the logo at the top, but since it's blue-on-blue, it's very hard to tell...

2) The "Mechanical, Electrical Instrumentation Control & Automation" bit is half in the top-image and half on the white background.

3) Similarly to (2), the top-option in the menu on the left is halfway into the top-image.

4) In fact, the image at the top cuts into all of the pages, leaving text/images/whatever partway into that image.

Browser: Opera 9.00

{edit - having now checked it in IE, it looks like Opera isn't seperating the top-image and the rest of the page underneath, it's just slapping the image right on top}

[Edited on 30-08-2006 by Dan B]
Dom

30th Aug 06 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
i personally think firefox is gay, designers should stop designing there websites to be FF compatible, FF should start designing there browser to be compatible

had headaches galore making some features FF compatible on vagweb, and some still dont work, although its mainly down to javascript problems

thing is steve, IE is far from the HTML standards and Microsoft started to implement features such as DHTML and routines which no other browser could render.
Mozilla/Mosaic engine (firefox/opera/netscape/mosaic) follow the standards a lot closer, but obviously all browsers have there own functions and ways to render the same information!
Steve
Premium Member

30th Aug 06 at 17:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as most people use IE i personally think FF should make there browser compatible with sites that are designed around IE.

i didnt have any problems with html on my site, or dhtml, it was the javascript, which has nothing to do with IE. FF loads the page first then the javascript which is what was causing the errors

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll