corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Wireless security (Netgear)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wireless security (Netgear)
Fad

User status: Offline
22nd Aug 06 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Due to my brother moving back home for summer we decided to get a wireless router and due to being on AOL (booooo) we were advised to get a Netgear modem router which we did (DG834Gv3)

Its all been set up using the wizzard and both of us can access the Intenet however the Router had a default pasword which I am unsure how to change and am unsure as to whether the password I entered on set up is functional to prevent other users gaining internet access on me.

It says on the instructions to enter a default adress in the browser to enter the modem router setting which I have done and it doesnt do nothing at all?

Just worried my wireless conection is not secure as neither myself of my brother need to enter any passwords each time we connect wirlessly as my Desktop is now running wireless also.

Prety long essay but just worried about people using my Internet connections etc.

Thanks
Dom

22nd Aug 06 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you will have a password for accessing the page, ie: 192.168.1.1....
to setup security for the wireless connection to stop people using it, you need to enable WEP/WPA and create a 128bit hex key (can usually generate one on the page)

Then this needs to be enabled on each system with a wireless connection.

You could also allow access using mac addresses, also make sure SSID broadcast is switched OFF!

Sam
Premium Member

22nd Aug 06 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://192.168.0.1

Username = admin
Password = password

Click on Set Password on the left under the Maintenance section, the rest is self explanatory.
_Allan_

22nd Aug 06 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Use this to generate a random 504 bit WPA key for maximum security.

http://www.yellowpipe.com/yis/tools/WPA_key/generator.php

Change router/network name if mentioned. Makes it less obvious to guess the router you are using.

Also password as mentioned.

As Dom said switch off SSID broadcast.
Fad

22nd Aug 06 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the help guys but i still cant acess the page comes up with the page cannot be displayed Even with the link sam

Sorry for my stupidness but I am a rank amuteur when it comes to this malarky.

the wep/wpa was mentioned in the set up so i guess that must of been done already? I am not sure how to turn off my SSID?
Sam
Premium Member

22nd Aug 06 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you able to plug in the network cable between the router and one of your PCs and see if you can log in to the router admin that way? ie. not through wireless?
Dom

22nd Aug 06 at 22:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

like same said, connect using ethernet to set the router up and then in your browser use http://192.168.1.1 (netgears router addy), login should be admin and password usually.

otherwise if you still cant access it, get a pin and poke the reset button on the back of the router and start from scratch!

It really is the case of read the manual when setting up routers for the first time

New Poll