corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Wireless Networking

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wireless Networking
Jackooo

User status: Offline
3rd Nov 05 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi.... im new to wireless networking and i want to shar my aol broadband connection with a laptop via a wireless network what equipment will i need to do so and what will be compatible with aol??

Thanks
Kyle T
Premium Member

3rd Nov 05 at 22:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure about AOL compatibility etc, but you'll need a wireless router which will connect to your modem, a wireless PCMIA card for your laptop, and Wirless PCI cards for your PC(s).

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

3rd Nov 05 at 22:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh yeah, its also recommended you get the same brand stuff.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Jackooo

4th Nov 05 at 08:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anyone else???
Pop

5th Nov 05 at 01:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have an aol wirless network at my house using a computer and my laptop

we used a router and wirless card from a company called netgear ... was a real ballache to set up

[Edited on 05-11-2005 by Pop]
Dan B

5th Nov 05 at 02:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got my Netgear wireless router to speak to a Dell Centrino laptop running Linux (specifically, debian sarge)......if that can be done, getting it to speak to a laptop with a Netgear wireless card and Windows would be lots easier!

Same-brand stuff is recommended, but not absolutely necessary......also, unless the machine you're connecting the router to needs to be on the other side of the house, or needs to be moved around a lot, consider wired before you consider wireless. I'd only use wireless as a last resort, since cables are going to be a lot more reliable. My laptop moves around the house a lot, wireless is a lot less hassle for me...

New Poll