corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » need a faster wireless router + adapter

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author need a faster wireless router + adapter
Bart

User status: Offline
   23rd Mar 06 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

any recomendations? i dont want a 54mbps as im going to be passing files from pc to pc. so ideally it would need to be 100+.
i would need it to have the best spread connectivity too as its a 3 floor house.

I know ian has recomended lynksys before, and i now know cisco own them, so they cant be half bad.

Anyone have any recomendations for a fast router/modem/gateway (in 1) and suitable adapter?
Tim
Site Administrator

23rd Mar 06 at 12:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Linksys aren't bad. You want their SRX (MIMO) equipment if you need that kind of bandwidth.

Although I'm still not a fan of home wireless stuff -- it's still too flaky.

You looked at HomePlug? That's 85Mbps over powerlines
Bart

23rd Mar 06 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tim
Linksys aren't bad. You want their SRX (MIMO) equipment if you need that kind of bandwidth.

Although I'm still not a fan of home wireless stuff -- it's still too flaky.

You looked at HomePlug? That's 85Mbps over powerlines

that doesnt sound too bad. what im inteding is building a home media pc. i have the kit but no case yet. I also have the netgear sc101 network storage device (2x250gb, will be 500gb in total).
I have tried playing videos on my misses laptop with the files stored on my PC (both devices are wireless) and it hasnt been too bad. odd stutter here and there, but it buffered it quite well. i think it is only 54mbps too.

Any links for the plug hardware?
Tim
Site Administrator

23rd Mar 06 at 13:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/default_ShopGroup.asp?ShopGroupID=61

Although wireless may be 54mbps you never actually achieve that rate. It also suffers from crap latency. DVD video is only 10mbit so you really shouldn't be having too many issues. At least with a wired solution you're more likely to achieve the specified rates (I assume the current dropouts are where the wireless drops under 10mbit, or loses connection briefly).

[Edited on 23-03-2006 by Tim]
Bart

23rd Mar 06 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tim, is the Linksys WRT54GX Wireless-G Broadband Router with SRX
found on this page likely to be 108mpbs then?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Wireless_Routers.html
Tim
Site Administrator

23rd Mar 06 at 14:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, SRX/MIMO is the new 240Mbps wireless standard everyone is bringing out.

108Mbps is just an extension of Wireless-G that Netgear do. Same as Belkin do a 125Mbps version of it, etc.

But don't take those speeds as gospel. You can't even achieve 100mbps sustained on a wired connection -- it's just the algorithm works.

I don't have any experience of MIMO. I have just got rid of my Netgear DG834GT in favour of a Billion 7402VGP as I found wireless so flaky on the Netgear. Have to say it's worth paying for a more 'office-based' router
Tim
Site Administrator

23rd Mar 06 at 14:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and check out www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk. Cheaper than overclockers and they give awesome service
Bart

23rd Mar 06 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

240mpbs.. i like the sound of that.

thanks for the help.
Bart

23rd Mar 06 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OOOOH, thoughts and opinions on this?

its 108mpbs too

http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=370&#DGL-4300
Tim
Site Administrator

23rd Mar 06 at 16:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not MIMO though, but not bad. Range won't be particularly great (MIMO is better speed AND coverage).

Just so you're aware for any of these >54Mbps technologies you'll need the matching manufacturer card in the client...
Bart

23rd Mar 06 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tim
Just so you're aware for any of these >54Mbps technologies you'll need the matching manufacturer card in the client...

hows that? 54mpbs is low anyhow?

in the house i live in, there is a horrid westell router, im unsure what spec it is.
I have had a dlink pci adapter before, and im currently using a netgear 108mpbs.

Ive just looked further into that router, and it is just a router.. would require a cable/DSL modem for the conenction... so not really what iwas looking for
Corsa Sport Gav

23rd Mar 06 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/DG834GT.php

ive got this, easy to setup and dus the job, also get better download speeds compared to my old one
PhilC

23rd Mar 06 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree with Ian... stick with Linksys. Absolutely superb kit and customer support incase u bugger it all
Bart

23rd Mar 06 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that linksys one i mentioned above isnt a modem built in :-s

New Poll