corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Piston ring question's....Compression test result bottom of page 1

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Piston ring question's....Compression test result bottom of page 1
Rob B

User status: Offline
24th Jul 06 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

RIght to clear everything up, my car has been smoking for about the last 6 month's never got worse always stayed the same pretty much, it seem's to of happened ever since i overfilled the oil, stupid thing to do i know but im facing the consequence's.

I change the oil every 4k the oil is nice and thin not lumpy when i drain it out.

The car doesnt smoke at all at idle.

The car blow's out a puff of smoke on down changes now and again but not all the time.

It seems if the car is left undriven for 2 - 3 days then drove it smokes alot for the first 5 mins then its more or less consistant and only smokes slightly on down change's.

The car also smokes when accelerating, not to badly when cool, but when the car is hot and the whether is hot it seem's to get worse.

Smoke is a kind of light grey/blue colour.

I'm going to see when i can get a compression test done on the engine as i know that is the first step to take but, was wandering from previous people's experience what they think it might be.

Also the rough cost's of replaceing the rings and replacing the seal's.

Would the engine lose power if the rings were gone? as the power has stayed consistantly good since the engine was put in.

The engine runs mint no tap's or knock's so im deffinetly not getting a new lump.

Thanks for the help in advance Rob

[Edited on 24-07-2006 by Rob B]

[Edited on 26-07-2006 by Rob B]
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

24th Jul 06 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my guess is stem seals from your description. If I were you I would do as planned with a proper 'leakdown compression test' to be sure.

as for stem seals its a cheapish job, same as a head gasket. or buy my gas flowed head i have here for sale, and fit that.
jazzer2k3

24th Jul 06 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ye id agree with Dave on this, on my previous engine swap the oil seals went on that, and from wot u describe mine was the exact same. I was gunna get round to it, but then some1 wrote my car off :'( So never got around to it, i don't think it's a dear job either
Rob B

24th Jul 06 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, well im going to go down a garage and try and get one done and if not book it in to be done.

Got my mate to drive my car tonight, and all my mate's to watch and they said it was know where near as bad this evening as it was when it was boiling in the day, dont know if that has anything to do with it ?

Dave, how much for the head?

And also, if it were ring's would it affect performance ? Because the car still feel's as rapid and torquey as ever

[Edited on 24-07-2006 by Rob B]
mitch2

25th Jul 06 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if the rings had gone there would be a loss in pressure and therefore performance. If the performance has suffered alot. The pressure in the sump could push the dipstick up.
Rileysport

25th Jul 06 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do a leakdown compression test, that'll confirm if the rings are fekkered
Rob B

25th Jul 06 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok well performance is fine, went to a garage this morning and he told me to do an engine flush and come back as he thinks an oil seal below the piston ring maybe fcuked or blocked or something
Rob_Lee
Banned

25th Jul 06 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Valve stem seals arre common on these engines matey.

rob
Dave A

25th Jul 06 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob B
Ok well performance is fine, went to a garage this morning and he told me to do an engine flush and come back as he thinks an oil seal below the piston ring maybe fcuked or blocked or something

how did he come to that conclusion? sounds like an excuse to get rid of you to

DONT USE OIL FLUSH! get a compression test, a leakdown compression test.
Rob_Lee
Banned

25th Jul 06 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oil flush is wank... plain and simple!
Rob B

25th Jul 06 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he made me hold it at 3k rpm, for about 30 seconds and a bit of smoke started to come out, so he think's it might just need a clean to get rid of gunk and shit, tbh i think its aload of bull too but it needed the oil changeing anyway so now thats done ill try it if it still does it then ill go back i had two garages try and tell me i dont need a compression test, no helpful people in the world these days
Jake

25th Jul 06 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try abit of carb cleaner in the intake, see what happens.
Ben ev

25th Jul 06 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wud say stem seals 90% but whens the last time it had a head gasket? could be leaking oil across to a cylinder
Rob B

25th Jul 06 at 23:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right the oil change and engine flush seem to of helped alot :O had a few race's tonight performance feels as good as ever and only a little sign of smoke but no where near as bad, mate's doing me a compression test tomorrow so fingers cross the results will come back good and its just stem seal's
Rob_Lee
Banned

26th Jul 06 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jake
Try abit of carb cleaner in the intake, see what happens.

I wouldnt do that if you have a C16xe as it destroys the AFM!
Rob B

26th Jul 06 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its an x16xe but i dont see what spraying carb cleaner will achieve ?
Dave A

26th Jul 06 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theres no way an oil change can affect the way an engine burns oil.

theres 3 ways that an engine will burn oil:

1. head gasket failed between oilway and cylinder (unlikely)
2. oil getting past stem seals
3. oil getting past the compression piston rings or worn oil control ring.

another possibility is a blocked crank case breather. checked that yet? its easy, just remove the crank case breather hose from the cam cover and blow down it hard with the dipstick removed. see if the air comes back up the dipstick tube. if not then it could be blocked. this will cause exess crankcase pressure which could cause oil mist to be pushed past the piston rings.

Rob B

26th Jul 06 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OOo ill try that, going to get a compression test in about an hour so if that comes back with good compression that rules out number 3, and if headgasket was gone im pretty sure it would affect performance wouldnt it ?
Scotty C

26th Jul 06 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mates headgasket went, didnt effect performance. Just drank water. But on the other hand, my headgasket went and it doesnt even run
Dave A

26th Jul 06 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get a leakdown test. a normal compression test may not show the problem.

a normal test only measures the amount of compression a cylinder gives, then by comparing the results of all 4 cylinders you can find which one is at fault.

a leakdown test is done by putting an airline into each cylinder with a set psi (say 150 psi) and measures how much is actually 'leaked' out. and will show where its leaking from.
Rob B

26th Jul 06 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's had a new head sometime along the line about 30k ago i thing so very much doubt its the headgasket

Its my mate doing it so ill ask him if he can do a leakdown one.
mitch2

26th Jul 06 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

doing an oil change does affect the amount of visible oil smoke being produced. When you have done an oil change, the oil is clean and therefore buns clearer. If you use fully synthetic you can hardly tell that smoke is coming out of the exhaust. However, as soon as the oil becomes old it will start kicking out blue smoke.
RobHayes

26th Jul 06 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mitch2
doing an oil change does affect the amount of visible oil smoke being produced. When you have done an oil change, the oil is clean and therefore buns clearer. If you use fully synthetic you can hardly tell that smoke is coming out of the exhaust. However, as soon as the oil becomes old it will start kicking out blue smoke.

ed

26th Jul 06 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It does sound like your valve stem seals though Rob...
Rob B

26th Jul 06 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

went and had a compression done.

Did the compressions test first all showing 12 but cylinder 2 showing 7.

We then did a leakdown test on each cylinder and the guy said that its got a sticky valve, or the valve could be cracked or bent and its staying open....TBH i cant remember what he said exactly but he said the rings etc are fine and its something to do with a valve in cylinder 2.

So its head off

new valve or reseated if its ok.
new headgasket kit
new cambelt kit

And all should be good so glad its not ring's.

going to also replace the valve stem seal's while the head's off.

It also explains why the car is still running aswell as always and not miss firing etc.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll