corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » petrol smell

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author petrol smell
Danny W
Organiser: East Midlands
Premium Member

User status: Offline
30th Jun 06 at 21:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have seen a few topics about this recently but not sure about the problem on my car.

i can sometimes smell a strong smell of setrol round the back of the car but not all the time. seems like it happens after driving but again not all the time
im guessing its not a rotten tank or anything as no damp patches nor leaks or drips and petrol gauge seems about right, so im not really sure what it is thats causing this problem anyone help me out?

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
Gregor

30th Jun 06 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could be running rich ?
abdus

30th Jun 06 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have the very same problem as this one:

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=142291

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=288969

been told it's the cat...

[Edited on 30-06-2006 by abdus]
Danny W
Premium Member

1st Jul 06 at 09:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok cheers fellas, its a 1.4i ls on a M plate if thats make any difference lol
really dont know whats causing it tho cheers for links abdus will give the car a check over altho not too sure what to be looking for

[edit]
if running rich im guessing car would be smoking a fair bit? it seems to run fine and cant see any smoke?

no leaks when car has been stood over night (no smell either) but also guessing would only really leak when engine running? as fuel system is pressurised?
that all seems fine also cant see no drips etc.

i do get a tapping noise when running (cold start in morning) think this is tappets but seems like all older engine suffer this? could this be an issue into the petrol smell?

[Edited on 01-07-2006 by Danny W]

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
Danny W
Premium Member

10th Aug 06 at 16:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok update, filled it up day before due to drive down to bournemouth and ended up with petrol all over the road
ended up being a corroded fuel return pipe apparently a common problem as when i rang vaux they were serving 2 people for the same thing

got it sorted in no time

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
abdus

10th Aug 06 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers for the update....
Nick

12th Aug 06 at 09:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i smell petrol in my 1.4 too. and bad fumes. How much was the repair?
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
12th Aug 06 at 12:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nick
How much was the repair?
New tank is about 100, plus a bit of labour as you need to loosen the handbrake cable as well as the straps to remove, in addition to all the pipes.

Pipes I would source from a scrappy if you can get under one, failing that they're between 11 and 24 quid from Vauxhall each and there are a few of them so you need to know which one.

Can also be the filter which is a service item anyway and not particularly expensive, perhaps a fiver or so.
Tappits

13th Aug 06 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

same on my 1.4 as well.
(Doing 230 mile to a tank)
dont think i am spending £100+ on that shit box tho to fix it
Danny W
Premium Member

13th Aug 06 at 11:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nick
i smell petrol in my 1.4 too. and bad fumes. How much was the repair?

for me about a fiver for the pipe and i fitted myself, real dirty job as you get covered in petrol.

or as ian said you can have a hole in the tank (if no drips it is usually on the top) again you probably wont notice any leaks untill you fill it up.
pipes are vauxhall specific and would need to get them from scrappy or vaux dealer (15-20 quid depending on which pipe).

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
AaronHorn

13th Aug 06 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My old Corsa B has a leaky fuel filler breather (you have two pipes running from your tank to your cap, one for fuel the other for air return). Apparently they are reasonably easy to replace but the scrappy I spoke to said you'd be likely to damage one when removing it and typically they ask for money upfront because of this!

Best get a new one, although it'll have to be from vaux. IIRC you replace the whole lot since the pipes are joined.

If you have this problem you'll prolly notice petrol after filling up or some hard driving. Typically it comes back up the breather where it sits and corrodes the pipe.

New Poll