corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Intermittent Car Problem

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Intermittent Car Problem
net_freak

User status: Offline
15th Jun 06 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Since Christmas time my car has been cutting out randomly, I have been trying to find the problem for the last 5 months. There is no consistency as to when it cuts out, I mean it could be hot, cold, raining or snowing. Also the car has cut out after a 3 hour drive and a 2 minute drive. I have taken me car in a garage for a diagnostic read done but nothing came up, also the ‘problem’ didn’t happen so they could look at it when it cut out. When it cuts out the first light on is the EML one followed by the rest, however when I try to start it again it will happily turn over, from what I’ve checked its not sparking, I held the HT lead from the coil next to the body and it doesn’t spark. If I leave the car from 30minutes to 4 hours it will start again first time, as you can image this is becoming very annoying as its not reliable anymore, id like to fix the car as I don’t want to change my car until my insurance renewal in November.

Ive had different things said off different people, but someone has suggested it may be an electrical problem as it cuts out straight away and doesn’t splutter or anything before it cuts out.

Someone also suggested possibly faulty ECU???

Things I have changed on the car so far are:
New Battery
New Fuel Pump
New Coil
New Ignition Amplifier
New Leads
New Spark Plugs
New Distributor Arm
New Distributor Cap
I’ve Serviced The Car
I’ve Changed Coolant

I will be more than happy to answer any questions on this and also try anything you want me to check.

Car is a 1.2 8V Corsa Merit 5 door, 1994 L reg

Thanks In Advance
Ste

[Edited on 15-06-2006 by net_freak]
flash22

15th Jun 06 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It sound like you have an electrical fault somewhere could just be a loose plug or even a duff sensor whats giving you an intermitant fault

what engine do you have?? (engine code ie. c12nz)

[Edited on 15-06-2006 by flash22]
net_freak

16th Jun 06 at 23:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh its the c12nz engine

do you have anyideas how i can test and possibly get a more acurate idea of which senor etc could be the problem.
Reedy

17th Jun 06 at 07:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

atleast you dont have the problem of your car cutting out when it gets hot, quite annoying when you dont know if its a temp sensor or another sensor that is irritated by the heat.
corsa.v6

17th Jun 06 at 23:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this could be the egr valve
net_freak

18th Jun 06 at 00:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i found this information on anothe topic:

Crank Position Sensor Strategies: If a crank position sensor fails, the engine will die. The engine may, however, still crank but it won’t start. Most problems can be traced to faults in the sensor’s wiring harness. A disruption of the sensor supply voltage (Hall effect types), ground or return circuits can cause a loss of the all-important timing signal.

if this sensor failed would it stop the spark going from coil?

i will check the crank sensor harness 2morro morning
ainsley_brader

18th Jun 06 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when you are trying to rsetart the car after it has falied is the eml present?
net_freak

18th Jun 06 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes all the normal ignition lights are present
net_freak

18th Jun 06 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have just tried the paper clip test to no avail, the light didnt flash when ignition off or on, or the car running. does that mean theres no faults or it didnt work.

however when i had the paper clip in when the ignition was off and i turned the ignition on the light flashed 1, does this mean anything?

New Poll