corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Fifth Gear tonight - Astra VXR related

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Fifth Gear tonight - Astra VXR related
Ojc

User status: Offline
24th Apr 06 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Read in the paper

"Tiff Needall trys to control a Astra VXR with one hand tied behind his back"

Now FFS what is it with the press trying to knock anything Vauxhall does, ok its got 240bhp going through the front wheels and it torque steers, but so what? If your a decent driver you can control it. You don't see them going on and on about the CTR's lack of LSD and the fact its constantly wheels spinning and the fact it won't go fast up hills.

Jambo

24th Apr 06 at 08:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

torque steer saved my car and probably a few of limbs in the old corsa......
Adam-D

24th Apr 06 at 08:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

honestly ollie, i dont care. ive stopped listening to opinions
im living in a ignorrant world of my own.
and i make opinions for myself on experiences that i have.
Ojc

24th Apr 06 at 08:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam-D
honestly ollie, i dont care. ive stopped listening to opinions
im living in a ignorrant world of my own.
and i make opinions for myself on experiences that i have.

Best way to be.
Ry_B
Banned

24th Apr 06 at 08:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well said Adam.

Each to their own, let them think the VXR is shit if they want, just means that it won't become as popular so won't be owned by chavs
Adam-D

24th Apr 06 at 08:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

drunkenfool

24th Apr 06 at 08:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think i read somewhere that vauxhall were thinking of taking action against top gear cos of the review they did based on a pre production model which had known handling faults (which were then sorted) was slated because of the amount it torque steered. I know it still does it, but the one they had was worse than the production models or something like they, and they concentrated on that as one of its flaws.
JadeM
Premium Member

24th Apr 06 at 09:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh if im paying 18k on a car id want one without any flaw's - theres plenty motors out there for that price range that wont torque steer
vibrio
Banned

24th Apr 06 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and how many owners of VXR astra's will actually take them on the track FS
Jules

24th Apr 06 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Let's face it they just slatye it so they can cream all over the new Focus ST
I still know which one I'd own and it wouldn't be the Ford - The Ford will be bought by every cunt, the VXR looks 10 times better, the VXR is probably more fun to drive rather than the safe and predictable Focus.
Plus it's a badge thing, nobody bought the VX220 over a Lotus Elise despite the VX being the better car.

Vauxhall have a image problem with the media for whatever reason, the educated public can make their own mind up over cars and I'm glad that some of them do as I have seen VX220's and Astra VXR's on the road - but not as many as their deserves to be if shows like 5th gear and Top Gear didn't seem to have this anti-Vauxhall thing going on.
SXi_Tim

24th Apr 06 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A lot will be driven around by middle aged women with kids, the last thing on their mind is torque steer, programmes like 5th gear love to slate vauxhalls for some reason
vibrio
Banned

24th Apr 06 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what they should do is ahve a street layout. traffic lights, round abouts and speed humps to test these hot hatches.
Edd

24th Apr 06 at 09:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

these guys test cars for a living i value their opinions as they know more than your average joe

but they do have to be fair and not swayed by the badge
Ojc

24th Apr 06 at 09:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jules
I still know which one I'd own and it wouldn't be the Ford - The Ford will be bought by every cunt, the VXR looks 10 times better, the VXR is probably more fun to drive rather than the safe and predictable Focus.
Plus it's a badge thing, nobody bought the VX220 over a Lotus Elise despite the VX being the better car.

Vauxhall have a image problem with the media for whatever reason, the educated public can make their own mind up over cars and I'm glad that some of them do as I have seen VX220's and Astra VXR's on the road - but not as many as their deserves to be if shows like 5th gear and Top Gear didn't seem to have this anti-Vauxhall thing going on.

So, where does this anti Vauxhall thing come from then? Because it seriously pisses me off. Unless its got a blue oval badge on the bonnet its immediately crap.
Ojc

24th Apr 06 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Edd

Thats bollocks I'm afraid.
Edd

24th Apr 06 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
quote:
Originally posted by Edd

Thats bollocks I'm afraid.

you have misunderstood me i really should have put SHOULD instead of HAVE TO
mwg

24th Apr 06 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can bet that if Vauxhall had only made the VXR with 200bhp that they would then all be slating it for not having enough power Cant win
Jambo

24th Apr 06 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
quote:
Originally posted by Jules

So, where does this anti Vauxhall thing come from then? Because it seriously pisses me off. Unless its got a blue oval badge on the bonnet its immediately crap.

But in reality, i see far more vectra's, astras and corsas than i do see mondeo's focus's and fiestas.

Theres a reason for that!
Edd

24th Apr 06 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as i've said before if i had the choice between the VXR or the ST i would have neither i would have the MEGANE
Ojc

24th Apr 06 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats not a bad shout Edd, if I was'nt a Vauxhall nut I would have the Megane also, its a close call for me between the Megane and the VXR.

But like Jambo says, you do see more Vauxhalls on the road than Fords.
JadeM
Premium Member

24th Apr 06 at 09:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think the Focus 2.5 ST is a better car - looks better, obviously handles better & is cheaper too. I know you all swear by Vauxhall but would you want these professionals to tell porkies & say it handles amazingly & is the best thing on the road.....when well it isnt!!???

[Edited on 24-04-2006 by JadeM]
Adam_B

24th Apr 06 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

maybe they dont like the astra as much as the focus as its not actully as good. You say its a badge thing and to an extent your probably right, but then thats because vaux arnt exactly renound for there fun sporty cars. Ford have been almost on a par with the french for making fun to drive fwd hot hatches the last 10 years.

p.s i dont care what badge is on the front of a car if its good to drive.
Jambo

24th Apr 06 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i like the ST, i think it looks ace. Has a real presence.

I wouldnt spend that much on one of these cars tho.....
mwg

24th Apr 06 at 09:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH I think the ST looks like a very poor copy of the VXR. Everything seems so similar about it but its the ugly one of the two...

Engine will be good if its a volvo one
JadeM
Premium Member

24th Apr 06 at 09:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matty G
TBH I think the ST looks like a very poor copy of the VXR. Everything seems so similar about it but its the ugly one of the two...

Engine will be good if its a volvo one

It looks nothing like it!!

I dont particularly like the styling of either cars but if I had to choose id have the ST & get the silver trim bits colour coded!! VXR looks like they are trying too hard & a bit max power inspired in my eyes.

Also - Find me a brand new VXR for 14500 - nope didnt think so, Ford wins in my eyes by a country mile!

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Fifth Gear tonight - Astra VXR related 22 database queries in 0.1037951 seconds