corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Anti-rattle brake clips nightmare

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anti-rattle brake clips nightmare
David Hanson

User status: Offline
   19th Mar 06 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Strange thing happened today......

I bought some new front pads for my Corsa, and some new anti-rattle clips.
Jacked it up, took the wheels off etc. Took out the old clips (noting their position) and fitted the new pads and clips.

Then, after putting it all back together and taking it off the stands, I started the engine and tested the brakes..... The pedal went straight to the floor, with little or no resistance?!?!

Took the anti-rattle clips out and the brakes work fine with no excessive brake pedal travel.

I am totally stumped with this one, and I am sure the clips were on correctly, as they only seem to be able to go on one way only.

Help
Rob_Corsa

19th Mar 06 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How many times did you try pressing the brake pedal to the floor as they nearly allways take a few presses to push the brake pistons back out again
David Hanson

19th Mar 06 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

About 20 times, with the engine running, still travelled straight to the floor. It's like the ant-rattle clip is holding the caliper in the fully open position. I can't leave the clips out as it sounds like a train going over points
Rob_Corsa

19th Mar 06 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i cant see a little clip preventing the piston from moving. Best bet would be to jack it up a side at a time with the wheel off and watch the caliper as someone presses the pedal for you.
David Hanson

19th Mar 06 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did that Rob, I got the missus to sit in the car and apply the brakes a few times. The calipers are moving the pads, but when the pedal is released, the calipers release and the outer most pad (the one I can clearly see) is sitting about 5-6mm away from the disc surface.

Also, when I grab the part of the caliper which moves, I can move it sideways, towards the front of the car by 2cm!

Everything thats holds the calipers together is tight and the rubber sleeves on the bolts aren't worn.

I will take a pic tommorow...

[Edited on 19-03-2006 by David Hanson]

New Poll