corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » yellow gunk!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author yellow gunk!
jay27

User status: Offline
17th Feb 06 at 23:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my cars running a bit crazy latley so i decided to have a tinker,i took off the breather hoses and found that they were both full of a yellowy oily gunk.the breather hose that goes from the rocker cover to the injector cover was 90% blocked but the hose that leads from the rocker cover to the back of the injector(under the water hose) was completely blocked.i gave them both a complete clean out and the car seesm to be running smother and less eractick when idling

what could be the cause? the only thing i can think of is in december i had a crash and the headlight got pushed up into the engine bay and ripped the air box off,coz i had no tools i had to drive back from wales to hampshire 130 miles with no airbox or filter and to make it worse it was weeing down ith rain.could water of got into the engine? i did check one of the breather hose about a months ago and it seemed fine so im pretty sure its only just happend.

what are the affects of blocked breather hoses coz it was idleing a bit irratick the past couple of weeks and the revs were dropping when i was pulling up 2 roundabouts or junctions but since i cleaned them out it semmed to of stopped.

is there anything else i should check for while i got me tool kit out
Cybermonkey

17th Feb 06 at 23:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jay27

i had to drive back from wales to hampshire 130 miles with no airbox or filter and to make it worse it was weeing down ith rain.could water of got into the engine?

OMFG. i am suprised you didnt suck in something and destroy the engine. the breather hoses can get blocked quite easily in a short space of time. rub some vicks on the engine block and supply engine with cleanex for a few weeks, should sort out the problem
MR2Mike

17th Feb 06 at 23:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

great advice
big eck

18th Feb 06 at 01:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

head gasket has gone, oil mixing with water causes the yellow gunk
AK

18th Feb 06 at 02:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

na.... not always on breathers.

The breathers will be full of oil/oil vapour.... if there is any condensation in there, viola, yellow gunk.

Saying that.... they are just breathers.... vent them to atmosphre (filter/catch tank)
AK

18th Feb 06 at 02:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

..... as at the moment oily vapour goes back into the combustion
jay27

18th Feb 06 at 02:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was suprised that it didnt suck somthing up into the engine aswell,the funny thing is that when i fixed the car and put the airbox back on thats when things started downing downhill lol....although i did sound quite meaty and was definatly faster lol.

head gasket was my first thought but i was told that yellow gunk around the oil filler cap is a sure sign of head gasket.

another factor is that i got the car in june 05 when i passed me test and have clocked up 18000 miles in it which was mostley motorway driving,i havnt been on a long run for a couple of months now and been doing alot of round town and nipping to the shops so could that be contributing to the gunk? i was quite supprised when i found it,looked like puss!! lol
jay27

18th Feb 06 at 02:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AK...what do u meen by venting them into atmosphre (filter/catch tank)? ive seen those little breather filters u can get but not sure where to put them,if i put them onto a breather hose wouldnt that leave an opening somwhere?
AK

18th Feb 06 at 02:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

block one breather off (chop pipe and bolt in the end)
Put the other pipe (engine side) to a catch tank. Vent the catch tank with a filter.

OR just vent the pipe without a tank

What engine by the way? any pics? I can prob show you.

Gasket Failure - how does the coolant look? Is the oil clean or gunky at filler cap?

Did you fit a new air filter?

[Edited on 18-02-2006 by AK]
jay27

18th Feb 06 at 02:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats a catch tank?
its only a 1.2 8v and its done 108000k.

the bloke i brought it from was a bit of a bodge cowboy.in the first month of having it i had;
a new petrol tank(sold me the car with a wacking great hole in it)
new front discs and pads
new alternator
new plugs
new ht leads
4 new tyres
new battery...all this from a bloke who advertises in my local paper and is a mechanic lol..anyways....

oil filler cap is fine,havnt checked the dipstick yet but i did that about a week ago ccoz me sump gasket is leaking and have to keep topping up me oil

i can get a pic of the engine if thats any help.the thing is i lost me job a few months ago and cant afford anymore parts for the car,i can just about afford petrol.the coolant is a horrible brown muddy colour but it been like that since i got the car,although i didnt undo the wrong pipe yesterday and managed to drain the water out so i topped it up with antifreeze and water..been meening to flush it out since i got the car

yeah i did fit a new aor filter,i did have an induction kit on it but i took it offf coz it was poo and was using too much petrol
AK

18th Feb 06 at 02:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

brown coolant isnt a good sign.....

Is it using any coolant?
Could you have overfilled it with oil? When the oil is too full it can sometimes be taken up those breathers and into the throttle body..... giving lots of smoke and shite performance.....

this is a pic of a filter and catch tank i fitted to my old std c20xe, same principle

AK

18th Feb 06 at 02:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also see Related Threads at the bottom of these posts..... this one http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=130604 is banging on the same lines as i was

jay27

18th Feb 06 at 02:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aaahhh yes,i did put too much oil in it,i also used the wrong grade 10-40 instead of 15-40.it is in need of an oil change,i think the last oil change was about 15k ago

ur engine is different to mine,this si the same engine i got

too be hinest it been running poo for about 5 months,ive changed every gasket i can think of but still no good.it was drinking fuel really bad and i was only getting about 35 miles per gallon although it been a bit better the past couple of weeks.

ive also got this horrible vibrating comming from steering wheel.when car is idling the stearing wheel vibrates and it loud! but when i push the steering wheel up anout 5mm it stops.any ideas?
jay27

18th Feb 06 at 02:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

jay27

18th Feb 06 at 02:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=254026

the engine is the same as this one...sorry for coppieng the pic who evers it is
AK

18th Feb 06 at 02:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like it needs a service How did you remove the oil when you overfilled it?

Change plugs and oil..... flush coolant.

Engine: I know, but the same principles should apply.

Vibration. could just be a nackered engine mount
AK

18th Feb 06 at 03:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

see the two pipes coming from the top left of the engine. They both go to the throttle body.
jay27

18th Feb 06 at 03:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i didnt remove the oil,i just pured a load in lol,it was high when i checked the dip stick a day later although it wasnt burning oil or smoking

the plugs arnt that old to be honest,about 5-6 months old.

would it be worth changing the sump gasket while i do the oil change as ill be having to drain it anyways.it a bit of a bugger coz dont i have to drop the exhaust to change the gasket..talking of exhausts,i got this bloody spots job(tuneable back box0 whch is tunable,ever since i had it it been driving alot slower and feels like it wants to go faster but i being held back.coz it tunable the actual pipe that the fumes come out of is only about an inch and a half diameter even though the actualy exhaust diameter is 4 inches.theres a bolt that undoes(it a bit coked up and prolly seazed by now) and the muffler comes out.if i took it out would the flow be better as im pretty sure its a bit to restricetd due to 2 adjustable vents that u can open and close according to how u want it to sound.when the vent are closed it really does go a hell of a lot slower.at the moment i got them open but it was defiunatly faster and nippier with the original back box
jay27

18th Feb 06 at 03:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if the throttle body is the big plastic case then the pie with the white writing on and the smaller pipe above the vauxhall griffin sign were the ones that were gunked up..by the way i normaly use castrol high nilage oil but the stuff i used(wring stuff) was tesco own make stuff,£1.50 for a litre lol
AK

18th Feb 06 at 03:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes.... but if oil was sucked into the throttle body.... it would prob cover the plugs

If the oil is out, you may as well change the sump gasket.

It would be silly not to swap the plugs. I used to swap the plugs every 3k miles on my old Punto GT.... It made it run sooo much better.

by the sounds of your exhaust.... bin it
AK

18th Feb 06 at 03:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes..... thats the pipes you were on about..... hence me saying just vent your BREATHER hoses ...... duh

BUT thats not going to do make your car better. By the sounds of it, it just needs a major service
jay27

18th Feb 06 at 03:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cant afford a service mate,i got to get it vic tested soon coz i had a crash in wales and even though all it needed was a new wing and headlight they wanted to write it off and offered me 600 for it but coz i had a 300 excess on my insurance i decided to fix it myself...ened up paying 20 notes for all parts ai needed.churchill recond that it would coz 1200 for the parts plus respray of wing..lol.

do u recoon it worth me taking out the muffler just to see,im pulling my hair out coz i cant afford a new car and to top it off some little twat broke into it and nicked me stereo and parcle shelf with a brand new pair of 6x9s

is there any other checks i can do to see if theres anything else wrong with the thing?
jay27

18th Feb 06 at 03:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i just noticed somthig on the pic of that engine.only 3 of my spark plugs have the silver tube and the last plug on the right doesnt have one.i brought new ht leads but only got 3 of the tubes? should i have 4,if so could this be a problem?
AK

18th Feb 06 at 03:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you cant afford a service

Plugs will only be about £10 in total, oil not much...... a can of carb cleaner will be about £2.... use that to try and clean the intake/de coke etc

You can check lots of things..... but the fact is the engine sounds very neglected.

A freebie - disconnect you battery for a few mins..... this always cures a car for free.... maybe :¬
AK

18th Feb 06 at 03:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jay27
i just noticed somthig on the pic of that engine.only 3 of my spark plugs have the silver tube and the last plug on the right doesnt have one.i brought new ht leads but only got 3 of the tubes? should i have 4,if so could this be a problem?

you do have 4 ht leads to your plugs though, right?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll