corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » courtenay cams & ported head

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author courtenay cams & ported head
j7 gkk

User status: Offline
24th Jan 06 at 23:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right im think wen/if i rebuild my engine i need a set of cams but ive been lookin on courtenay site and they can reprofile my cams just wondering if anyone has used these and if there any good, opinions on them and i only want fast road cams so would i need to uprate anything what gains if any will i c?

i red a post not so long ago on here that some one had there head ported by a member from mig web, dont suppose any one has a contact for him and also is having the head done worht it?

cheers

Ant

24th Jan 06 at 23:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have courtney cams in min yet to use it properly though so not sure how good they are real need some verniers to though
bubble

24th Jan 06 at 23:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not sure about re-profiled cams not expierienced them, but ported and polished heads are remarkable.worth every penny
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

24th Jan 06 at 23:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Speak to Gary on migweb. hes the guy that you want to do your head. exellent prices as well. cant reccomend him enough
Dave A

24th Jan 06 at 23:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and the cams arn't fantastic tbh. a lot better things you could spend your money on than re-profiled cams.

whats the spec so far? why do you 'need' cams?
Ant

24th Jan 06 at 23:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

re profiled cams will prob shortern the life of the lifters mine are re profiled but the lifters were new and i dont plan on this engine doing more than 20k before it comes apart again.

My Cams are the 20xe 'high torque' cams but I dont know there exact specs, dont think they are all that wild what spec cams you running bubblevaux have you got them set up with verniers?
Tiger_kpt

25th Jan 06 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just bought and fitted a Stage 3 valved, ported, gas flowed and polished head and it's made a world of difference performance-wise. I'm also running a set of Piper fast-road reprofiled camshafts and these are top also. So on that note i'd recommend both really.

And I don't see the need or the point in using a set of Vernier Pulleys on a set of fast road reprofiled cams at all. Just a waste of money if you ask me. Quite happy and just as well using the standard pulleys mate.

[Edited on 25-01-2006 by Tiger_kpt]
Tiger_kpt

25th Jan 06 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

See this thread for a bit more info on performance heads mate -

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=258804

Hope that helps.
Cybermonkey

25th Jan 06 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tiger, what about the issues with timing and the pulleys though??
Tiger_kpt

25th Jan 06 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What issue mate? I just used Piper reprofiled Fast Road cams and standard pulleys. Think that all reprofiled cams are designed to be used with standard pulleys. Think using Verniers are a waste of time and hard earned cash on them.
Ant

25th Jan 06 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I see your point but I have heard you can find aa little more power with verniers, worth noting you cant use verniers on the x14xe / x16xe without changing the managment as there is a cam sensor on one of the std puleys used by the OEM managment
broster
Premium Member

25th Jan 06 at 19:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger_kpt
What issue mate? I just used Piper reprofiled Fast Road cams and standard pulleys. Think that all reprofiled cams are designed to be used with standard pulleys. Think using Verniers are a waste of time and hard earned cash on them.

lol ok then! so the ability to move the power up and down the rev range to suit the car is a waste then? no didnt think so!

Dave A

25th Jan 06 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger_kpt

And I don't see the need or the point in using a set of Vernier Pulleys on a set of fast road reprofiled cams at all. Just a waste of money if you ask me. Quite happy and just as well using the standard pulleys mate.

[Edited on 25-01-2006 by Tiger_kpt]

cams are pointless without vernier pulleys in my opinion. cams are not a simple 'bolt on' mod. cams need to be dialled in as broster said to adjust the point that the engine comes onto cam and will push the power up or down the rev-range. also, fuelling must be altered by way of a re-map. without this, the engine still thinks its on standard cams and the fuelling will be all over the place, whats the point in having the valve oen further and for a longer period if the ecu is still keeping the duration of the injector pulse the same?
Cybermonkey

25th Jan 06 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im confused
Dave A

26th Jan 06 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

about what monkey?
Tiger_kpt

26th Jan 06 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK. See your point I guess. But how do you go about fitting Verniers to an X16XE for instance if the cam sensor relies upon the "induction effect" shaped inlet pulley? Have to do away with that sensor?
broster
Premium Member

26th Jan 06 at 17:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cant do away with it, need to get dibilas pullies, or get new management
Tiger_kpt

26th Jan 06 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah only way I could think of was new management. Pricey. Don't think there's that much to be gained from using Verniers on fast road cams or reprofiled mild cams when teamed up with a remap. Can see why you'd use them, but a pricey tweek really.

[Edited on 26-01-2006 by Tiger_kpt]
broster
Premium Member

26th Jan 06 at 17:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

of dibilas pullies... they are good for standard management
j7 gkk

26th Jan 06 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i havent really got a spec engine at the minute, i thought that while i have the engine out i might aswel change them, and while the head was off for the cams i might aswel get it ported, ive also been looking at piper fast road cam kits with lifters, but im thinkin about not even bothering now, or just the cams them selves, but i dont think the lifters wil cope for long, i am really tinking about getting head ported tho and ive ordered a 4branch manifold, ive got full stainless and im thinking about getting decat

CORSA808 what is garys username on migweb? how much does he roughly charge?

thanx for all replies
myke

26th Jan 06 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

'Gary'
he's a top bloke.
price would depend on how you give it to him and how you want it back (ie. stripped down or fully built), plus what extras you might want like a skim, ultrasonically cleaned lifters, bronze guides etc.

i paid £240 last time.
j7 gkk

26th Jan 06 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont suppose you have a contact number for him, what are ultrasonically cleaned lifters? and bronze valve guides? cheers

New Poll