corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Ed's Corsa B - Updated 05-06-2010 - P49

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Ed's Corsa B - Updated 05-06-2010 - P49
MKC

User status: Offline
10th Jan 06 at 07:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

top job mate
JKGSI

10th Jan 06 at 08:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you haven't already started then I would avoid welding up the roof rails. This area seems to crack the most when welded/filled so you're just asking for trouble. Looks good though mate, keep up the good work and keep takin pics.
Corsa E-Tec

10th Jan 06 at 08:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some serious work there
ed

10th Jan 06 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JKGSI
If you haven't already started then I would avoid welding up the roof rails. This area seems to crack the most when welded/filled so you're just asking for trouble. Looks good though mate, keep up the good work and keep takin pics.
Seen plenty of cars with it done and none of them have had cracks. The only reason I could see it all cracking is if it was filled in with filler or if the car was crashed....
Jambo

10th Jan 06 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ed top job my man

Going to your house is like modded car heave, so much space, and now a garage

Your my hero Ed
Fad

10th Jan 06 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:
Seen plenty of cars with it done and none of them have had cracks. The only reason I could see it all cracking is if it was filled in with filler or if the car was crashed....

I'd also be very very wary as the roof near the rails is wafer thin and distorts very easily when welded. Mate of mine from school distoted a roof on a corsa at work wasnt too good

Also when you weld up the roof rails/ lead line etc you have to be carefull when jacking up the car as I rember once seeing Claire Richardson jacking her car up with two jack...one either side so the roof didnt flex too much.....Ed seriously if you have a blow out (and lets face it when Steve is around its likely to happen ) are you really going to carry two jacks with you
Fad

10th Jan 06 at 10:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and top banana love the work your doing looks to a really good standard
SteveW

10th Jan 06 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fantastic Edward.. very nice indeed.

your turning into the right little mod monkey
Fad

10th Jan 06 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They gave you access back
ed

10th Jan 06 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fad
quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:

I'd also be very very wary as the roof near the rails is wafer thin and distorts very easily when welded. Mate of mine from school distoted a roof on a corsa at work wasnt too good

Also when you weld up the roof rails/ lead line etc you have to be carefull when jacking up the car as I rember once seeing Claire Richardson jacking her car up with two jack...one either side so the roof didnt flex too much.....Ed seriously if you have a blow out (and lets face it when Steve is around its likely to happen ) are you really going to carry two jacks with you
Hmmm... I really want a smoothed off roof I was going to weld onto the radius'd edges of the roof and the top of the pillar which will reduce warping as the metal is thicker there... I am still to have a good look though as the plastic covers are still fitted to the car.
chumbly_warner
Premium Member

10th Jan 06 at 12:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have mine welded and its been done since May and i drive the car everyday and its still fine, just sand the welds down nice and then a tiny tiny bit of filler 2 smooth.

Cars looking good btw
ed

10th Jan 06 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was your car that made me want to smooth mmine, it's such a good look I think....
a_j_mair

10th Jan 06 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have mine done, first bodyshop just pumped it full of filler and it cracked almost straight away was shoddy.

had it welded now no cracks and i drive it every day along bumpy roads, also jack it up with one jack etc no problems
chumbly_warner
Premium Member

10th Jan 06 at 14:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know i mentioned people saying u couldnt jack the car up with only 1 jack to my bodyshop. They said it was utter rubbish, if its done properly u will be fine.
ed

10th Jan 06 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I better do it properly Some precise measuring to get the plating to fit properly so I can weld it up nice and strong then...

Does anyone know how to get the roof rails off? Do I need to remove the tailgate?
chumbly_warner
Premium Member

10th Jan 06 at 14:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine was done with the boot off.
I havent got a clue how to get them off though, lol.

Here is pic of how they did mine, have loads more if u want

a_j_mair

10th Jan 06 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think i got a couple pics in my garage aswell
ed

10th Jan 06 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been even more busy today, got loads done

Gave the arch a skim after giving the resin and fibreglass a sand down:

Bit of sanding to get stuff smothed off, then some high build primer, there are a few air holes that need sorting, but I'll do that after I have given the car it's first coat of primer as there will be loads of them everywhere I guess:

Next up was the scuttle pannel.

I gave the foam a good trim down:

Then sanded it all so it was level:

Then gave it a coat of Fibrefill:

I had time to finish it today, but I have ran out of materials... Need to go shopping some time this week..

Uh, oh... Things are getting serious

The beginnings of the paint removal:

My new door Handle :

Fitted:

Ground the welds down:

Then time to smooth it all off:

A few random shots My workshop is getting messy now.. Need to get the car out so I can tidy up properly.

Now why doesn't this supprise me?

I am considering not doing the roof at the moment, bodywork welding is totally different to the engineering stuff I have done before. The metal warps so quickly, need to bet so carefull! I might just get some new roof rails and leave them black. Whats peoples opinoins on this? I think I'm having satin black wheels and MHW rear lights...
c20let

10th Jan 06 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

roof rails just pull off
AdamF
Premium Member

10th Jan 06 at 21:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you take care and leave the roof to go cold after each weld youll be ok but like you say its very easy to warp
ed

10th Jan 06 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea, mine were stuck on with silicone
c20let

10th Jan 06 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh
ed

10th Jan 06 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't worry, it's just another thing to add to the list of Midas Styling bodges...
AdamF
Premium Member

10th Jan 06 at 21:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mirrors sprayed with the glass intact then
ed

10th Jan 06 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AdamF
if you take care and leave the roof to go cold after each weld youll be ok but like you say its very easy to warp
The door warped quite a bit... It left me with quite a bit of work to do. I'm a little scared of shrinking the roof.

<<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Ed's Corsa B - Updated 05-06-2010 - P49 23 database queries in 0.0120540 seconds