corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 1.5TD tuning

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1.5TD tuning
twb1975

User status: Offline
11th Dec 05 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi has anyone done the 1.5td tuning?????
And did it work???
and could you put it back if you did not want it,because it say that you have to cut the white ring.
thanks
tony
RedTop

11th Dec 05 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont Bother
twb1975

11th Dec 05 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RedTop
Dont Bother

Why??? please tell
davcohen

12th Dec 05 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well worth it, especially in a light weight nova

http://corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=35931
Marshall

13th Dec 05 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds too dodgy, dont no if i shud do it or not. I know quite a lot a about engines and have full access to a workshop, but dont wanna do it unless i actually understand what it is i am changing. Any advice/expertise apreciated. Im sure it will be worth any gain since it is free, kinda, as long as it dont fook my engine.
duck

26th Mar 06 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did the diesel tuning mod years ago (that is my write up in the tutorial section that I gave to KrisTD), it must be 5 years that my corsa has been running with it done and it is fine, if you are carefull taking the white ring off it can be put back in if necessary.
Michael B

26th Mar 06 at 23:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any chance you could put the pics back up please?

Thanks
duck

27th Mar 06 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll take some more and try to get the mods to edit the original post in the tutorial section.
Michael B

27th Mar 06 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

please, would really appreciate that, I nearly sure what im doing, just want photos to make sure im doing it right!

Its a bitch to get at the fuel pump below the inlet manifold isnt it? What did you do to get by this? Just work round it?
corsastev

27th Mar 06 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im also lookin at doing this mod so the pics and any info on this subject would be really good
corsastev

29th Mar 06 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just fitted a boost gauge on my 1.5td today its makin 9psi standard gonna do the boost mod but not yet as i cant affort the extra fuel atm as im doing alot o miles every week
Cybermonkey

29th Mar 06 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RedTop
i shouldnt Bother posting

yes
Michael B

29th Mar 06 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsastev
just fitted a boost gauge on my 1.5td today its makin 9psi standard gonna do the boost mod but not yet as i cant affort the extra fuel atm as im doing alot o miles every week

how did you do that? Cost much?
corsastev

29th Mar 06 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no didnt cost much jus the price of a boost gauge really then just plubed it in to the rubber pipe on the turbo the one to the acutator only took about a half hour to fit it
corsastev

30th Mar 06 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

jus been lookin at my engine and i,ve jus noticed it dont have a pressure reliese valve on the inlet manifold lol so now my car wont let the boost off at 1 bar bonus whoop whoop
duck

30th Mar 06 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have taken some more pictures and sent them to the mods asking if they can replace the missing ones.

corsastev - If you do the mod and drive the same way you will get the same MPG but I tend to drive it harder as it perform's better.

Michael B - It is possible to do the mods by working around the inlet manifold, you may get a couple of scraped knuckles but it's worth it.

I have recently also changed the intake to a cone filter and this makes a further improvement to the performance and economy:

Without the mods = 52mpg
With the mods = 48mpg
With mods and cone filter = 50mpg

I'm sad and record the MPG for every tank full so I have a good idea the differences after each mod.

Another thing I found to make an improvement is re-shimming the valve clearances, when I checked mine they were way to tight and adjusting them made the mid range pulling much better.

Standard the 1.5TD boosts about 7-9 psi, the difference after the mod is not just the fact you boost higher, the boost pressure increases quicker at lower revs so you get much better pulling power at lower revs, the extra maximum boost helps to stop the power trailing off at higher revs.

Anyway here's some pics that may help you guys out:

http://www.duck.eclipse.co.uk/corsa/maxFuel1.jpg

http://www.duck.eclipse.co.uk/corsa/maxFuel2.jpg

http://www.duck.eclipse.co.uk/corsa/cover1.jpg

http://www.duck.eclipse.co.uk/corsa/cover2.jpg

http://www.duck.eclipse.co.uk/corsa/bleedvalve.jpg

http://www.duck.eclipse.co.uk/corsa/airfilter1.jpg

http://www.duck.eclipse.co.uk/corsa/airfilter2.jpg
corsastev

30th Mar 06 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol thanks very very much for the pics and the info its so hard to find out how to mod this engine i only use my td as a daily driver but its still nice to be able to make progress when i need to. thanks so much for the pics i would never have thought about movin the intake pipe round like that its helped me a great deal. just one question though on yr bleed valve is it not connected to the acutator at all now? the pic obscures my view of the pipe im not sure weather you have a t piece in their to vent to the atmospher and connect to the acutator or jus vent so could you jus confirm this for me please. and thanks again for the info im gonna do the boost mod next week some time
Michael B

31st Mar 06 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks printing these off and will try this mod over the weekend, will post back how i got on!
punkymt1

31st Mar 06 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That is impressive I did nothing to my 1.5td because I though I'd ruin the mpg but it seems that you lose only 2 miles. I'm going to get a 1.7td though and then tune that one Thanks duck for the pics!

Some Questions: You are running the cone filter directly off the turbo .. is it better? What bhp r u getting? Have you got a pic of the whole engine?

Thanks
Michael B

31st Mar 06 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does it affect the emmissions at mot?
duck

31st Mar 06 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

corsastev - the pipe to the actuator is cut and the bleed valve connected between the two parts of the pipe, the middle pipe off the bleed valve is were the excess pressure is bleed off, I stuck a piece of pipe on it and routed it away from the road to stop crap getting sprayed into the valve and blocking it up.

The actuator works as usual but by bleeding off some of the pressure the boost is allowed to increase above the standard amount, bit difficult to explain but for example if the actuator would normal operate at 9psi (maximum std boost) by bleeding off 5psi worth of pressure the actuator would not operate until 14psi pressure.

My corsa is also my daily hack and these mods will make it much more fun to drive, being able to keep up with regular traffic without any problems is nice.

punkymt1 - Connecting the air filter directly to the turbo has made a good increase in the performance, I had to adjust the max fuel screw when I did this mod as due to the extra cooler air getting in I could increase the fuel and so the power, by connecting the air filter this way the air bypasses the hot inlet manifold on the way to the turbo. I've never had the car on a rolling road but KrisTD managed 99bhp with these mods, I'm not sure I have that much but one thing I can say is it is a huge improvement over the std 1.5TD.

I'll try to get a pic of the whole engine over the weekend.

Michael B - By carefull adjustment of the max fuel screw you can make the emissions as good or bad as you want, the more black smoke the more power you will have, it takes a few attempts to get it perfect but when accelerating in 2nd or 3rd gear if you don't see any black smoke in the mirror then your good to go, I've yet to fail an MOT on emissions.

Just remembered something else I have done to the old corsa that also helps sort out the smoke when accelerating - I have cut open the catalyser and removed the contents, the cat was half blocked with black crap and I think this is were the soot builds up when driving slowly and this is why you tend to get a black clound of smoke when booting it after normal driving.

Hope that helps

*EDIT*
One thing with the airfilter mod is you get a bit of induction noise in the car, you can also hear the turbo whistling (spinning up)

[Edited on 31-03-2006 by duck]
Michael B

31st Mar 06 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Da had to put one of his lorries through the MOT start of the week there, the man told him its creating a lot of problems for people who have been remapped or engine screwed.. any way might try it after, or before.. haha..

Is there any chance I could do it without the boost meter, couldnt be bothered buying anything other than the tools that are out in the garage already..
punkymt1

31st Mar 06 at 23:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks duck for the info .. that really sorted out my problems I'll try to do this mod in the near future but first need to buy a boost gauge. Mmm imagine with the 1.7td all this starting @ 82bhp.
Michael B

1st Apr 06 at 02:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Okay..

So I did it =)

Have to say the results are amazing. I screwed the diesel pump just over a 1/4 and its running sweet, no somke really, but lots of poke!

But what a bitch it was to do, my hands are all cut now lol.

A wee tip, in the diesel pump when you are removing the restrictor, dont cut it, just screw the top off the rubber thing and lift it out, will save you loads of time!

I havnt dont nething with the turbo (yet), is it worth doing? What gains will i notice?

Thanks again for the pics, they helped a lot!
duck

1st Apr 06 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Michael B - you need to get a boost gauge and bleed valve to get the most out of these mods, at the minute you will be getting more fuel but the turbo boost will still be the standard amount, once you have the boost up to 14psi (nearly twice more than std) you will notice another improvement in performance.

punkymt1 - do you have a corse with the 1.7TD fitted or an astra ?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll