corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 1.5TD tuning

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1.5TD tuning
punkymt1

User status: Offline
1st Apr 06 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Currently I've got a 1.5TD on my corsa. Replacing it with a 1.7TD and putting the 1.5 on another corsa 1.2 8v that I have.

Next mod I'd do is an exhaust (full system) and an intercooler .. then continue to up the boost. I'd probably change to a bigger turbo but don't know about this because I don't want a lot of lag.

[Edited on 01-04-2006 by punkymt1]
Michael B

1st Apr 06 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by duck
Michael B - you need to get a boost gauge and bleed valve to get the most out of these mods, at the minute you will be getting more fuel but the turbo boost will still be the standard amount, once you have the boost up to 14psi (nearly twice more than std) you will notice another improvement in performance.

Sorry, but Im not really big on these things, where can I get a boost gauge and blead valve from? You couldnt explain where these get attached exactly and what they do?

Thanks
duck

1st Apr 06 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here's a bleed valve for a reasonable price:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Under-Bonnet-Bleed-Valve-Lockable_W0QQitemZ8048886827QQcategoryZ72205QQcmdZViewItem

The actuator on the turbo stop the boost building up above 7-9psi, the bleed valve releases a small amount of the pressure going to the actuator and so the actuator stays closed for longer and so you get more boost, the bleed valve is adjustable so this is why you need a boost gauge so that you can adjust it until you get the desired boost pressure.

I connected the boost gauge to the pipe that you disconnected on the cover were the white ring lives, the bleed valve location can be seen in the pictures but basically the pipe to the turbo actuator is cut and the bleed valve connected there.
punkymt1

2nd Apr 06 at 07:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

duck .. so 14psi does not create problems to the engine without the front mount intercooler. Does yours have a full exhaust? I am looking forward to do one but I don't want a tractor sound .. preferably a nice growl. Do you recommend one?
duck

2nd Apr 06 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

punkymt1 - I have the standard exhaust just with the cat removed, my corsa is an every day car and so I did not want loads of extra noise.

I have been running 1bar (14psi) for years and all is ok, I'm sure it probably puts more strain on the turbo but that is the price for more performance. On the whole I think the isuzu engine is pretty tough and can take these mods ok.
Michael B

2nd Apr 06 at 23:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I might be putting it back to the orig cond, its more fun yes, but im at uni for the next 3 years and wontbe getting a new car till i start a job propper..
punkymt1

3rd Apr 06 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Isuzu engines in malta are pretty cheap and surely won't be a problem getting another one. But they are strong and would withstand that boost. Lower the boost if you are afraid of blowing up the engine.
corsastev

3rd Apr 06 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

does anyone know if the inlet manifold is in 2 sections and would it be ok to take it apart to carry out this mod? its jus that mine seems to have sealer inbetween the 2 sections
Michael B

3rd Apr 06 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont know if its wise to start into that, i managed to do it without taking it off, if you persevere at it you can do it!
corsastev

4th Apr 06 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok done this mod today but im only getting 10 and a half psi of boost and thats with the bleed valve screwed right in can anyone sugest anything?? the car feels a lot better already its alot more responsive
duck

4th Apr 06 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like you need to increase the fuel, try adjusting the max fuel screw until you get black smoke out of the exhaust when accelerating on full throttle, then turn the max fuel screw back until the smoke stops but you have good power.

Also make sure the airfilter is not old/blocked as any restriction on the inlet side will limit the boost.
corsastev

4th Apr 06 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have increased the fuel a lil too much if anything i get quite a lot of smoke when acceleration hard
corsastev

4th Apr 06 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also the air filter aint that old so it should not be causing to much of a prob but im gonna fit an induction kit tomorro to see if it helps. is their anything else you could suggest ? thanks for yr help so far by the way
corsastev

5th Apr 06 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right just to let people know i done this mod today and all i can say is i wish i had done it ages ago it is so much better now its unbelieveble the only prob i had was i dont think the bleed valve i have is the right one or its not workin right as i could not get the boost to increase above 11psi so i,ve took the bleed valve off for now and just blocked the pipe up till i get another next week. like i said that was the only prob i had anmd as soon as i blocked the whole its bosting to 20 psi now maybe more i dont know but my boost gauge only goes up to 20. having said that im not too happy running 20psi through it so im just gonna take it easy till i get the bleed valve sorted. thanks for any all the help everyone has given me on this topic its a fantastic mod
Michael B

5th Apr 06 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it very harmfull to run the turbo like that? I might try it just for a quick run tomorrow to see what it potentially could be like, though wouldnt keep it like that
duck

7th Apr 06 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Michael B - I've done nearly 50,000 miles with these mods so it cannot be to bad, if you worry about things like that then it is probably best if you do not do them.

corsastev - hurry up and get the new bleed valve as 20 psi sounds crazy

Glad to hear you like the mod, have fun driving your new car
corsastev

10th Apr 06 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks duck it is good and like you say it is crazy the only thing i was dissapointed with is that i thought it might make the top end alil better but it still struggles over 100mph {on private land of course} but up to that speed it massively improved also i went to oxford this weekend and it didint use anymore fuel at all than it normally would of
ranny

10th Apr 06 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so max speed is not improved??
corsastev

10th Apr 06 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would not say so really no i think it must be the gearbox thats holding the car back as it now gets to 100mph quite quickly but wont go past 110 not that i drive that fast very often i,d use too much cookin oil
punkymt1

11th Apr 06 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsastev
i would not say so really no i think it must be the gearbox thats holding the car back as it now gets to 100mph quite quickly but wont go past 110 not that i drive that fast very often i,d use too much cookin oil

Yeah ppl say that .. they run out of gears. But anyways .. who drives @ 110 all the time? Consider that this is a cheap mod and still having almost the same mpg.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll