corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » ahh....broadband!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author ahh....broadband!
Cosmo

User status: Offline
26th Oct 05 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks like ukonline upgraded my broadband from 2mb to 8mb. but i cant get online anymore!

im using a bt voyager 105 adsl modem, and get the power and dsl lights on, but not the data light. it seems to be connected (as the status says the speeds its runnin at) so not sure whats up. its not a firewall problem though!

anyone got an idea? im on my fone posting this!!
Paul

26th Oct 05 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it is giving you speed settings and not an IP address then its an issue with the L3 connectivity of the router if its not giving you a speed setting then its layer two either way reboot the router if that doesn't work phone them and give them some shit.

Also try this. launch a dos window, and type "tracert 212.58.224.124"

If this suceeds then its a DNS issue which also lies with your ISP.

[Edited on 26-10-2005 by Paul]
Cosmo

26th Oct 05 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i did the trace thingy and that worked fine. so does that mean its a problem mmy end or the isp?
Cosmo

26th Oct 05 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i did the trace thingy and that worked fine. so does that mean its a problem mmy end or the isp?
Cosmo

26th Oct 05 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cosmo

26th Oct 05 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

_Allan_

26th Oct 05 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Echo!
Dan B

26th Oct 05 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Echo!
Dan B

26th Oct 05 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If a traceroute to an IP (numeric) address worked, but you can't browse anywhere, etc, then I'd say it's likely to be a DNS issue.

If so, this could EITHER be a problem with your ISP, or with your own machine.

Firstly, check that you actually have DNS servers specified on your machine......to do this (assuming you're using Windows XP/2000), click Start -> Run then type in cmd, and press return. You should see a MS-DOS window. At the prompt (which will say something like C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator), type in the following and press return:

ipconfig /all

You should then see quite a bit of info, and amongst that info will be two (or more) lines marked DNS Servers

If there are more IP addresses shown next to that (and they don't begin with 192.168 or 10.0), then it's likely to be an issue with your ISP (ie. give them a ring).

If there's nothing next to DNS Servers, then it's a problem with your machine's configuration. Check with your ISP for their DNS servers and, at the same time, they should be able to talk you through getting them added to your config, and things should then work fine.

Either way, you're going to end up phoning them...
Cosmo

26th Oct 05 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, cheers dan b. its got a 192.168 dns server, so must be their end.

will ring them tomorrow if its not back on, or get hold of nismo as he works for them ;p

oh, and sorry for that multi-post!
Dan B

27th Oct 05 at 00:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
yeah, cheers dan b. its got a 192.168 dns server, so must be their end.

will ring them tomorrow if its not back on, or get hold of nismo as he works for them ;p

oh, and sorry for that multi-post!

If the DNS server(s) is/are shown as a 192.168.xxx.xxx address (ie. a private-network, or LAN (local-area network), address), then that means your computer is querying your modem for DNS (ie. the modem has its own DNS settings). It's been a while since I had a play with a BTVoyager 105 in work, so I'm not 100% sure where the DNS settings are in there, but it's likely they'll either have corrupted/vanished, or your ISP's DNS-servers are a little flaky...

Either way, probably best to give them a call in the morning, and see what they say......they'll either confirm flaky-ness, or be able to talk you through checking your modem's DNS settings.
Cosmo

27th Oct 05 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wahoo, Im back online! Cheers Dan

New Poll