corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 1.6 or 2litre

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1.6 or 2litre
CorsaSi

User status: Offline
13th Oct 05 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im thinking of doing a engine conversion on my 1.4 16v sport and was going to go with a 2litre but heard that the 1.6 sport had to be down tuned because it was kicking out too much power, and that if retuned it would give out alot more power/speed, is this true and which what would be better and more reliable?

Thanks
SetH

13th Oct 05 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes was detuned in that the air takes a silly long route to get to the inlet manifold. but this was true of the 1.4 16v as well.
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

13th Oct 05 at 14:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you'll get alot more power from a 2.0 still, but it depends what your after...cheaper insurance on a 1.6 but would costs loads to get it near the power of a standard 2.0

Corsa C Z20Let

Black Sleeper Turbo Project
broster
Premium Member

13th Oct 05 at 14:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

getting good power oout of the1.6 that will threaten a 2ltr corsa will cost a hell of a lot..... depends what your using it for really mate....
Rileysport

13th Oct 05 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sly_SRi
you'll get alot more power from a 2.0 still, but it depends what your after...cheaper insurance on a 1.6 but would costs loads to get it near the power of a standard 2.0

Bhp figure can be got close to... torque is another matter
Teddy

13th Oct 05 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So is weight
Rileysport

13th Oct 05 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats why i sold my 20xe
broster
Premium Member

13th Oct 05 at 15:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SRi-Co
Thats why i sold my 20xe

i took my c20se apart to make it lighter!
Teddy

13th Oct 05 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Makes you wonder why the Vauxhall opel works teams have ALWAYS used 1.6's in both 8b and 16v form doesnt it
CorsaSi

13th Oct 05 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so from what ive read a 1.6 wouldnt get anywhere near a c20 max speed or accelleration, i could put a turbo in which would give it alot more accel but is it worth it?
Rileysport

13th Oct 05 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsaSi
so from what ive read a 1.6 wouldnt get anywhere near a c20 max speed or accelleration, i could put a turbo in which would give it alot more accel but is it worth it?

till it goes bang
Andy GSi

13th Oct 05 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SRi-Co
quote:
Originally posted by CorsaSi

till it goes bang

that wouldnt take long at all either!
Rexy

13th Oct 05 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No replacement for displacement...

Xe it
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

13th Oct 05 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no replacement for a nimble, light, responsive.........

x16xe
corsa120

13th Oct 05 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

biggest thing is ppl say 2ltr is too heavy and u get torque steer, its bollocks a myth, if anything its amount of torque ur trying to push through the wheels not weight, i can make mine keep with a 106 gti on twisties and yeh my m8 is looney who owns it all about setup, powerflex bushes, decent suspension etc etc

teddy yes weight but u can also strip an xe corsa

i love 1.6 engine and think its gr8 lump once manifolded, but im gr8 believer in no compensation for CC. but like broster said what u using it 4

torque is best factor, i mean i was driving home from mk dons car park other nite down a5 in my xe floored in 5th from 45mph and befor i new it i was doin 125 mph (road was empty peeps)

i get 1.6 be different
Robin
Premium Member

13th Oct 05 at 21:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

an xe corsa stripped to the same standard as a 16xe corsa would still weigh 50kg more

agreed the torque wont match it, but vauxhall alledgedly had to detune the development c16xe's so much as they were making more power than the c20xe

the x16 would be easier for you anyway, as it uses the same mounts
Dave A

14th Oct 05 at 01:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have now had the priveledge of driving both a tuned 1.6 and 2 litre corsa

specs:

1.6 16v (my car) on bilstein suspension and bilstein tarmac rally springs, front arb removed.

v.s

2.0 16v corsa on coilovers set up correctly, front arb removed.

the 1.6 was so much more fun to drive, throttle response is great with throttle bodies, handling is spot on.

the 2.0 was fun, but felt a bit unstable. the extra weight is definitely noticeable and just felt as if you had to be a bit more 'carefull' with it through the corners.

i suppose i could get used to driving the 2.0 quite easily, but when we took both cars out for a run mine left the 2.0 through the corners and power was very similar on the straights up to about 80mph. then the 2.0 pulled past.

corsa120

14th Oct 05 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats bullshit rob if vauxhall x14xe/x16xe engines was producing more power than xe why are ppl having to spend thousands to get it same power, even mark only got upto 140 bhp, and that andy's 1.6 has bin tuned to out of this world amounts of money

yeh c16 maybe but x16xe no

[Edited on 14-10-2005 by corsa120]
Cybermonkey

14th Oct 05 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa120
thats bullshit rob if vauxhall x14xe/x16xe engines was producing more power than xe why are ppl having to spend thousands to get it same power, even mark only got upto 140 bhp, and that andy's 1.6 has bin tuned to out of this world amounts of money

you have mis-read yeh engines produced more power but was not more than xe ive got the printout somewhere here from opel in germany

no mate the pre-production C16XE was producing nigh on 155bhp in certain spec levels, such was the engines great design and efficiency. power was brought down from this level to 109bhp, because A) it was deemed too much for the Corsa chassis, and B) they didnt want it overshadowing the Astra GSi in the performance stakes, which was their flagship hot-hatch at the time.
corsa120

14th Oct 05 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well any1 will say if dont setup xe corsa then wont handle, set it up and it as good as rest.

another thing rob heavy part of xe is gearbox u can fit f15 same as 1.6 which will ditch some weight, and any1 would thing ur swopping a lump of metal for a feather the x16xe still weighs somat u no

corsa808 i drive a 1.6 corsa pretty much everyday (its mrs) and can say i cant notice any handling difference must be the person, only thing i notice is braking but just becaue xe has far more acceleration so u think ur not goin quicker but u are.
corsa120

14th Oct 05 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh maybe cyber but but x16xe's only made around 140bhp in pre-production and never read was c16

also what to say this is true, we all though new astra vxr handled crap till tv mag said it was not using full running gear, and u say in certain developments what are these developments

[Edited on 14-10-2005 by corsa120]
Balling
Premium Member

14th Oct 05 at 17:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's this about it being expensive to tune a 1.6?
Mate of mine bought a mantzel copy, got it fitted, got the engine chipped and 2" stainless exhaust! All in all set him back less than 800£ and it pushed out 146 bhp on the rolers!

[Edited on 14-10-2005 by Balling]

Dave A

14th Oct 05 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
What's this about it being expensive to tune a 1.6?
Mate of mine bought a mantzel copy, got it fitted, got the engine chipped and 2" stainless exhaust! All in all set him back less than 800£ and it pushed out 146 bhp on the rolers!

[Edited on 14-10-2005 by Balling]

hmmm a tad on the optimistic side on the rolling road i think
corsa120

14th Oct 05 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh bit high 130 maybe
RKS

14th Oct 05 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

imo small block all the way! unless you are trying to do drag racing

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 1.6 or 2litre 23 database queries in 0.2021139 seconds