corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 1.6 or 2litre

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1.6 or 2litre
Robin
Premium Member

User status: Offline
14th Oct 05 at 20:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

carl, the reason you have to spend lots of money to get 140 odd out of a c/x16 is because vauxhall spent thousands reducing its power to suit their model range

having said that, its not overly expensive anyway, my 1.6 build will be costing me under £800, although i've pulled a few strings and got some cams free, but if i'd paid full price for everything, it woulda been about £1000, including the 1.6 engine, and i'm expecting 140-145bhp from it, so it is infact, cheaper than a c20xe transplant in this case

[Edited on 14-10-2005 by robmarriott]
and-m

14th Oct 05 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by robmarriott
an xe corsa stripped to the same standard as a 16xe corsa would still weigh 50kg more

agreed the torque wont match it, but vauxhall alledgedly had to detune the development c16xe's so much as they were making more power than the c20xe

the x16 would be easier for you anyway, as it uses the same mounts

I doubt seriously they were making more power.

[Edited on 14-10-2005 by and-m]
Robin
Premium Member

14th Oct 05 at 20:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

read previous page, or ask someone who works for vauxhall
broster
Premium Member

14th Oct 05 at 20:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

seriously this arguement will come up so many times, and already has, its getting kind of dull! some say 2ltr and some say 1.6 those thta say 2ltr are hood winked into thinking its better those with the 1.6 are the same.... its PERSONAL PREFERENCE! do you want a 1.6 or a 2ltr.... your call, you have to live with it........... you gotta pay for it so your bound to think its better!
Robin
Premium Member

14th Oct 05 at 21:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry mark.... i wont express my opinion anymore as people may argue
broster
Premium Member

14th Oct 05 at 21:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good lad.....

1.6 is better
Ant

14th Oct 05 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here we go again! lol i find it highly nulikely that a c20xe is 50kg heavier than a x16xe if you spend the same money on your 20xe that you do on x16xe 20xe WILL produce more power and torque, however you also have the cost of the engine mounts and drive shafts to think about when fitting 20xe
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

14th Oct 05 at 21:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

does anyone have the weight of an x16xe?? I weighed my c20xe with everything including gearbox and it was 130 Kg, is the x16 really only 80 Kg???

Corsa C Z20Let

Black Sleeper Turbo Project
Robin
Premium Member

14th Oct 05 at 21:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'll find out
Ant

14th Oct 05 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this would be good to know i reckon there will be about 20kg between the c20xe and x16xe
Robin
Premium Member

14th Oct 05 at 21:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well... including shafts and hubs and mounts of course, apparently an let is 75kg more than ac16, and i doubt a c20 + conversion kit is more than 25kg less
Rexy

14th Oct 05 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This argument comes up with novas all the time as well...

In My opinion, go for the engine conversion that suits your needs. Ie if your going for a 1/4 car then 20XE it. If you want a nice light nimble car then 16xe it... But remeber, power is nothing without control so either way sort the handeling out/braking first. Then add more power from there.

Robin
Premium Member

14th Oct 05 at 21:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rexy

In My opinion, go for the engine conversion that suits your needs. Ie if your going for a 1/4 car then 20XE it. If you want a nice light nimble car then 16xe it... But remeber, power is nothing without control so either way sort the handeling out/braking first. Then add more power from there.

i like you
Rexy

14th Oct 05 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers fella...

Ant

14th Oct 05 at 23:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think the let exhaust manifold ways a ton on its own!!! there is no answere here its exactly as rexy said, Will be interesting finding out the weight difference though
Cybermonkey

15th Oct 05 at 04:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rexy

well put
Cybermonkey

15th Oct 05 at 04:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by and-m
quote:
Originally posted by robmarriott
an xe corsa stripped to the same standard as a 16xe corsa would still weigh 50kg more

agreed the torque wont match it, but vauxhall alledgedly had to detune the development c16xe's so much as they were making more power than the c20xe

the x16 would be easier for you anyway, as it uses the same mounts

I doubt seriously they were making more power.

[Edited on 14-10-2005 by and-m]

well you better believe it
Cybermonkey

15th Oct 05 at 04:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa120
yeh maybe cyber but but x16xe's only made around 140bhp in pre-production and never read was c16

also what to say this is true, we all though new astra vxr handled crap till tv mag said it was not using full running gear, and u say in certain developments what are these developments

[Edited on 14-10-2005 by corsa120]

X16XE making less power than C16XE in pre-production was probably down to EGR, smaller exhaust ports and lower compression
Cybermonkey

15th Oct 05 at 04:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh and by the way, 140bhp on the standard 6750 rev limit is pretty bloody good for a 1600 4cyl
Kyle T
Premium Member

15th Oct 05 at 07:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For the guys with highly tuned 1600s, I assume that your modifications are mainly bolt on bits, tbs, uprated bits n bobs etc and according to brosters garage, hes running just under 140bhp.

Is it not possible to reverse vaux's doing to get 140bhp on the standard engine, and THEN bolt on all your uprated mabobs. Surely this will smash your current power outputs and put corsas into serious competition with the other similar cars (IE citroen pugs and fords.)

OR... am I just rambling on a load of bullshit?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Cybermonkey

15th Oct 05 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
For the guys with highly tuned 1600s, I assume that your modifications are mainly bolt on bits, tbs, uprated bits n bobs etc and according to brosters garage, hes running just under 140bhp.

Is it not possible to reverse vaux's doing to get 140bhp on the standard engine, and THEN bolt on all your uprated mabobs. Surely this will smash your current power outputs and put corsas into serious competition with the other similar cars (IE citroen pugs and fords.)

OR... am I just rambling on a load of bullshit?

yes. in all honesty, there is no info on the exact spec vauxhall used when they were developing the C16XE, but it was probably the use of wilder cams, and a very short inlet tract. the whole idea and practice with the aftermarket inlet manifolds is to try and gain back some of that power lost when the engine was detuned, hence why fitting a lexmaul inlet manifold plus a few bits here and there can release a potential 20bhp.
if you were to spend a fortune redesigning the whole inlet from the airbox right through to the throttle body, you may well see some very impressive gains with the use of a custom exhaust.
Kyle T
Premium Member

15th Oct 05 at 09:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah ok I see, but IF the exact proccess used by vaux could be obtained, theoretically (sp?) you could unlock more power than what people are achieving right now?

Im trying to word my questions properly but Im not quite sure what Im on about

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Cybermonkey

15th Oct 05 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes, in theory i reckon its probable, but remember that Vauxhall/Opel/GM spent millions developing the 16XE
Kyle T
Premium Member

15th Oct 05 at 09:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah well. Cheers anyway

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ant

15th Oct 05 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but early xe's also made silly power before being down tuned for production did they not?

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 1.6 or 2litre 23 database queries in 0.5789301 seconds