corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Fishy People

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Fishy People
GREG 1

User status: Offline
13th Sep 05 at 08:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I now have the fun in waiting for the cycle to start before i can put any fish in !!

Grrrrrrrrrrr
3CorsaMeal

13th Sep 05 at 08:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get a couple of cheap goldfish and let them help
GREG 1

13th Sep 05 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gold fish ?!!

I have 1 annoying fish, in the shop he looked like a bottom feeder but for some reason he does his job for 5 mins then he bolts up and down non stop for 15 mins then stops again... Random fish so may throw him in there
3CorsaMeal

13th Sep 05 at 08:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some people use goldfish to help cycle a new tank as people don't care if they die

i want to find out about piranha now, quite fancy getting one etc

Cosmo

13th Sep 05 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal

The are quality fish, go over an join www.piranha-fury.com, best place to learn about them as there are about 7k members!
Graham

13th Sep 05 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
some people use goldfish to help cycle a new tank as people don't care if they die

actually known as suicide fish
GREG 1

13th Sep 05 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldnt mind a piranha but slightly pointless just having the 1 or what have ya !

Should i put my other fish in the tank then to help the cycle ? even though it will 99% die ? Will it actually help or not ??

Also does anyone here feed there tropical fish live food ? im slightly tempted would be rather cool

3CorsaMeal

13th Sep 05 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my convicts eat most things i throw in tank, spiders, flies, daddy long legs etc

i found fish are quite hardy things, as long as there isn't too many fish they seem to survive

things that have killed mine were the temp was way too high, and i had a gap where fish were swimming into filter and getting liquifyied
Cosmo

13th Sep 05 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GREG 1
I wouldnt mind a piranha but slightly pointless just having the 1 or what have ya !

Should i put my other fish in the tank then to help the cycle ? even though it will 99% die ? Will it actually help or not ??

Also does anyone here feed there tropical fish live food ? im slightly tempted would be rather cool

You need some sort of ammonia source to help it cycle, so the only point of live fish is that they shit and that gives off ammonia. If you can find another source (pure household ammonia, a bag full of prawns, etc) then this saves you killing the rest of them!

You can get shoals of Piranha which are fine together and dont eat each other, my type is a single species though, so cant shoal them!
corsa120

13th Sep 05 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have 3 tropical frogs in my tank there really funky and hilariously funny, they look just like budweiser frogs ha ha

crabs i horrible things they rip other fins of fish off etc AVOID

Cosmo

13th Sep 05 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa120
i have 3 tropical frogs in my tank there really funky and hilariously funny, they look just like budweiser frogs ha ha

crabs i horrible things they rip other fins of fish off etc AVOID

tropical frogs are tiny, the ones in the bud advert were bull frogs which are about 200x larger
GREG 1

13th Sep 05 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your frogs ok with other fish then corsa120 ? can they get out of the water ?

Cosmo - what should i do then ?? I was thinking of adding a couple (stronger fish) later this week and then adding the rest of the fish (albino shark, cardinals, plecko) etc later on..

Not sure on what to do !

At the moment i have the plants in there etc, its just getting to correct temp now but no fish in new tank (all still in old tank)
Graham

13th Sep 05 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tropical frogs are shit and pointless, always end up dying for no reason.

but saying that my texas probably ate them seeing as he's getting on the hefty side now still has amazing colours though
Graham

13th Sep 05 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok lets break this down Greg

how long has the tank been up and running?

have you used any water conditioner?

is there any fish in there?

how big is the tank?

what filter have you got?
GREG 1

13th Sep 05 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham

but saying that my texas probably ate them seeing as he's getting on the hefty side now still has amazing colours though

So do you have marine fish then ?
3CorsaMeal

13th Sep 05 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i always seen frogs and crabs etc as gimmicky

my crabs lasted about 1 weeks and then got eaten as they tried to reshell
Cosmo

13th Sep 05 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Cosmo - what should i do then ?? I was thinking of adding a couple (stronger fish) later this week and then adding the rest of the fish (albino shark, cardinals, plecko) etc later on..

Once there is an ammonia source in the tank you need to give it a week or so for the bacteria in the filter to grow and begin to filter the ammonia into NitrItes and then NitrAtes. This is when the tank will be cycled, so do a large ater change of about 40% then add a few fish at a time over a couple of weeks.

If you add too many fish straight away you will get an ammonia spike as the filter still wont beable to handle that many fish yet, this would probably kill off most of them as ammonia is highly poisonous to fish.

I know it sounds like a long process, but if you dont do it you will definitly keep getting fatalities as it will take months for the filters to fully colonize with the bacteria.
corsa120

13th Sep 05 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh frogs are so calm and placid, why u worrying about temperatures etc long as it has couple of days to filter round fish will be fine.

the fish shops always say leave tank going for least week b4 introducing fish, this is to cover there arse mostly, remember these fish come from very rough/calm rivers swamps with changing currents and temperatures an acqurium is savour for these fish really

biggest trouble why ppl lose fish is not because there tank is setup wrong its because we dont no how old fish are most the time if there old they peg it
Graham

13th Sep 05 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Graham

So do you have marine fish then ?

nope, working in a fish shop i have the advantage of ordering fish on the one off when we get our delievery.
GREG 1

13th Sep 05 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought the frogs were funky and the crabs are interesting, kinda gives your tank that live marine effect.

I'd love a marine tank in time, live coral, crayfish etc etc
Graham

13th Sep 05 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

the fish shops always say leave tank going for least week b4 introducing fish, this is to cover there arse mostly, remember these fish come from very rough/calm rivers swamps with changing currents and temperatures an acqurium is savour for these fish really

biggest trouble why ppl lose fish is not because there tank is setup wrong its because we dont no how old fish are most the time if there old they peg it

STFU if you dont know what your talking about
corsa120

13th Sep 05 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no i think i do no m8 ive had successful tank for 4 yrs now dude so shuct fuck up
GREG 1

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:

Once there is an ammonia source in the tank you need to give it a week or so for the bacteria in the filter to grow and begin to filter the ammonia into NitrItes and then NitrAtes. This is when the tank will be cycled, so do a large ater change of about 40% then add a few fish at a time over a couple of weeks.

If you add too many fish straight away you will get an ammonia spike as the filter still wont beable to handle that many fish yet, this would probably kill off most of them as ammonia is highly poisonous to fish.

I know it sounds like a long process, but if you dont do it you will definitly keep getting fatalities as it will take months for the filters to fully colonize with the bacteria.

Ok dude, so shall i leave it empty till say weekend then do a water change ? (seems pointless??) and then introduce my worst / strongest fish only for a week ?
Cosmo

quote:
yeh frogs are so calm and placid, why u worrying about temperatures etc long as it has couple of days to filter round fish will be fine.

How wrong can you be?!!

You have to cycle the tank as you need to colonize the filter with de-nitrifying bacteria. Without this your filter may well get rid of the bits and bobs in the tank but it wont get rid of Ammonia which WILL kill your fish.

It would take even the smallest tank a week to fully cycle, and large ones alot longer...it took my 265Gal 5 weeks to fully cycle correctly.

And no matter what conditions they come from they dont experience high ammonia, if you dont cycle a tank it will build up in ammonia and kill the fish, simple as!
Graham

13th Sep 05 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
no i think i do no m8 ive had successful tank for 4 yrs now dude so shuct fuck up

just because you have had a tank doesnt make you know what your on about.

Im OATA trained, you know what that stands for? type it in google

cosmo knows his stuff, he goes through the effort of typing it out to explain. i cant fault anything he writes, unless its neon tetras are hardy

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Fishy People 22 database queries in 0.1955521 seconds