corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 1.2 8v problems :(

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1.2 8v problems :(
mikehiow

User status: Offline
10th Jun 05 at 01:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a P reg (think it's old bumper type, but may have been a replacement bumper) Corsa-B and just wondered where the airflow meter was, I've seen alot of other corsa's (not 1.2 though) that have it just past the airbox, I have an induction kit on mine and no air meter where I've seen them on other corsa's

I'm just wondering if this is related to my problems, the car is sluggish as hell, I'm talking like 0-60 in about 30 seconds I know its only a 1.2, but I'm sure it should be better than this.

It almost sounds like the rev's are there but it's just not pulling.
Cybermonkey

10th Jun 05 at 02:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i didnt think the C12NZ had an AFM. i thought it was controlled by the MAP sensor? P reg is post facelift by the way .
Cybermonkey

10th Jun 05 at 02:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BTW, 0-60 should be about 18 seconds, but if you tihnk its a LOT slower than this, perhaps the intake air temperature control flap is stuck in the open like mine was. Check inside the airbox and make sure the spring loaded flap is functioning properly.
mikehiow

10th Jun 05 at 02:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not sure, just having a think, theres no cold air intake, so I'm getting the performance problems could be due to no cold air going into the induction cone and it just sucking in warm air from the engine.

Cybermonkey

10th Jun 05 at 02:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats it like from cold? say first few minutes driving along? still sluggish? if so, i doubt its anything to do with heat from the engine, although you could do with some cold air ducting if you have none already. What did you do with the exhaust manifold shroud that used to go from exhaust manifold into airbox? also, what did you do with the little red vacuum tube that ran from the inlet to airbox?
mikehiow

10th Jun 05 at 02:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The induction kit as it is now was like it when I bought it

the exhaust manifold is just open, and the vacuum is just sat there, open.
mikehiow

10th Jun 05 at 02:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh, also, pic here: http://mike.bz/pics/pictures/my%20car/IMAG0021.JPG

not that much in view though
Cybermonkey

10th Jun 05 at 02:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok dude, i think thats your problem. Find a screw or nail and block the little red vacuum pipe and tuck it away somewhere. That measures the tempeature of the air inside the airbox by pressure. having it just open will give false readings to the ECU. Try and find a blanking plate for the exhaust manifold, since it will just piss hot air all over place. remove the trunking entirely. Also, your filter could do with a clean.
Cybermonkey

10th Jun 05 at 02:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ph yeah, disconnect the ECU overnight too so it loses its memory, refit in the morning and let it recalibrate itself. Will probably help loads if you have been driving around lots with induction kit in that state. DONT press the throttle when resetting ECU, even if it sounds like it will stall. It will stabilise after a minute or so on idle. then go and see how it goes
mikehiow

10th Jun 05 at 02:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers dude, if I wasn't so tired I'd go try all this now, I'm actually quite excited to get my little car going as it should do.

Only passed my test a couple of days ago, and its really been pissing me off that my mates with crappy little 1.1 fiesta's are pissing all over me acceleration wise, even off the mark to 30mph
Cybermonkey

10th Jun 05 at 02:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol, the 1.2 8v is a bit crud to be honest. I put up with it for 6 months until i got the 1.6 Sport. soooo much better. By the way, dont waste your money on performance parts for your engine, it aint going to get any faster. just take care of it and it will be reliable a anything
oh yeah, be careful
mikehiow

10th Jun 05 at 02:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right, extremely quietly (its 4am)

I've gone and disconnected the ground from the battery (have done this before, but I don't think I did it for long enough, as I never got any of this stuttering when starting it you talk about)

before I reconnect it all up tomorrow and start it up I'll plug that vacuum hose.

What would you suggest I do with the exhaust manifold?

I know It's crap, but I can't argue with the economy and insurance, I've done 200 miles since I passed my test on tuesday and have only put £15 (or maybe £20) in it.

what about if I found some hose and directed the hot air away from the induction kit (say to the other side of the engine and down?)

[Edited on 10-06-2005 by mikehiow]
Cybermonkey

10th Jun 05 at 03:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do you not have the trunking that was there previously? for a quick fix solution you could just point it down and fix it somewhere so the hot air is being blown down and away from the engine.
If driven right, its easy to get 300+miles from a full 44 litre tank. I managed it on a few occasions, its just that motorway driving takes its toll since you constantly have your foot planted to the floor.
Good luck with it mate, send us a U2U and tell me how you got on

Dave
mikehiow

10th Jun 05 at 03:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will do cheers,

I don't have the trunking that was there originally, as I say it's all as I bought it

However I will take a trip the the scrappie and find one of another similar engine.

New Poll