corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Engine whine from cold

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Engine whine from cold
alli Ronald

User status: Offline
   18th May 05 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok so heres the problem!

i go out and start the car... it whines (like a fanbelt noise) for the duration of warm up... then itll start to settle down and be fine soon as were up and running.

i had my fanbelt/timing belt changed bout 2 months ago, had them adjusted (as you do) etc etc.. took it back to the garage and no they had no clue at all (tw@s)

any ideas what it could be?
its bloody annoying - i think my wee sri is not bad lookin' but the whine on startup is really starting to pi55 me oFF!

Thanks folks, i wait with baited breath!
alli Ronald

18th May 05 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh yeh 4got to mention,

it whines when idle, when running, when in gear, when not in gear, doesnt really seem to be affected by speed at all, seems pretty constantly whining... tar!
Ant

18th May 05 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

16v??? secondry air pump or whatever it is called
alli Ronald

18th May 05 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh its a 1.4 16v SRi

44k on it, had timing belt done, fan belt, water pump, fuel pump....

is that the hoover type thing over the top of the engine bay? (right hand side as u look @ it)

it sounds like from the fan/timing belt area but they are fine
MoNkEy MaGiC

18th May 05 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive got almost a identical problem dude....

when starting my car up, Somtimes it will squeel/whine from the fan belt area!!

this started happening few weeks after i had my cambelt and alternator belt and tensioner pulley replaced!!!

but... i think the problem on my car is the alternator, that is making the sound... see if u can pin point the sound exactly
alli Ronald

19th May 05 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so i tried spraying the hell outta the alternator with some WD40 last night to see if the lubrication of bearings would help....

went out and started her this morning, much quieter! - think that must be the problem.

how much is an alternator anyways?
5chaap2k

19th May 05 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it's the vaccuumcleaner, that bloody thing also known as the secondary airpump, if u feel anoyed by it..

ditch it!
alli Ronald

19th May 05 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can you do that- just dump it? doesnt it have a purpose?

wouldnt this have any adverse effects?
CorsAsh

19th May 05 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alternator problem I reckon - the whining is down to the battery using more power than the alternator can supply if it's knackered, so resistance in the alternator build up to a point where the belt slips and you get the noise. Replace the alt or you may find yourself stuck on the side of a welsh mountain in shit weather with a dead car... like I did.
MoNkEy MaGiC

19th May 05 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh
Alternator problem I reckon - the whining is down to the battery using more power than the alternator can supply if it's knackered, so resistance in the alternator build up to a point where the belt slips and you get the noise. Replace the alt or you may find yourself stuck on the side of a welsh mountain in shit weather with a dead car... like I did.

what a coincidence... because i have a heavy duty battery in my car as well, and it has fooked up , because it keeps going flat now!!

but the whinining in my car started after i had the belts replaced... the battery was put in a few months after that!!
alli Ronald

19th May 05 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

n1 CorsAsh,
i thought thats what it may be but your explanation confirmed it in my terms "Replace the alt or you may find yourself stuck on the side of a welsh mountain in shoot weather with a dead car" thats all i needed to know!!!

new alt. it is then

Cheers m8
MoNkEy MaGiC

19th May 05 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can pick up a 2nd hand alternator for about £30 easliy!!!

vaux charge over £200 for a new one!!

but it may be worth putting in a heavy duty/more powerfull alternator if you have or are planning to do a big ICE install
alli Ronald

19th May 05 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just had a quote from my local garage for the alt... £200 excl. labour :/ seems bit steep, must be a brand new one. although he did say hed have to take it off to find out what power rating the one thats on it is....

is he taking the piss?
alli Ronald

20th May 05 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oooookay, so ive put the car in the garage today, the guys phoned me back to tell me that "ive checked he alternator and it seems fine - good current on full load and no drop off, no whine from that son"

he then told me that i should change the timing belt, again, even though it was done bout 2 months ago.... hmmmm this is getting interesting, any ideas??

New Poll