corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » question for anyone who knows anything about superchargers?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author question for anyone who knows anything about superchargers?
Dr Pepper

User status: Offline
27th Nov 04 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When i first start the car i always try to wait for the temperature guage to get up to running temperature before i pull off. I went into a ford dealership today to get a part for my mums car and when i was sat in the car waiting to pull away one of the mechanics there came over to my car---- he reckoned you shouldnt leave supercharged cars standing for long after you have started the engine... I asked him why but he was pretty vague on his reasons.

anybody know if hes right or if hes just a retard who walks round ford dealerships talking shite? I cant see anything in the handbook that mentions this
jr

27th Nov 04 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

je works for ford, who as far as im aware have never produced a supercharged car, ignor him
MarkW

27th Nov 04 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what car you got?
Dr Pepper

27th Nov 04 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cooper s
jr

a cooper s i think, we work on G40 and G60 at work and ive never heard anyhting like that
J da Silva

Load of shit.

[Edited on 27-11-2004 by VenomTurbo]
Dr Pepper

27th Nov 04 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
je works for ford, who as far as im aware have never produced a supercharged car, ignor him

Thats what i thought--- but he is a mechanic.. and im not so i took him a bit more seriously
jr

27th Nov 04 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it not like leaving it will do any damage as all its doing is turning over with the engine
J da Silva

27th Nov 04 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Crankshaft driven so I can't see how it would get mashed. Maybe the guy had nothing to chat about?
Dr Pepper

27th Nov 04 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think he was just bored and wanted to impress me with his knowledge of my car lol
Dr Pepper

27th Nov 04 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also why im on the subject of supperchargers--- im thinking of getting a 15% reduced supercharger pulley.....will this put much more stress on the supercharger and engine-------just a bit worried about putting lots more stree on a very new engine
jr

27th Nov 04 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well it puts more stress on the engine, but surely the s works will put out more power even if yours has the smaller pulley on it, finds out if its the same charger on that, if it is the charger/engine will be fine
CORSA NUT

27th Nov 04 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a vid of a M3 CSL with a supercharger Schweeet!
Dr Pepper

27th Nov 04 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the noise it makes is unbelievably addictive--- the induction kit seriously magnified the supercharger whine.....roll on the long cold winter ... cold is good lol
vibrio
Banned

27th Nov 04 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Pepper
When i first start the car i always try to wait for the temperature guage to get up to running temperature before i pull off. I went into a ford dealership today to get a part for my mums car and when i was sat in the car waiting to pull away one of the mechanics there came over to my car---- he reckoned you shouldnt leave supercharged cars standing for long after you have started the engine... I asked him why but he was pretty vague on his reasons.

anybody know if hes right or if hes just a retard who walks round ford dealerships talking shite? I cant see anything in the handbook that mentions this

well they do spin fast but not as high as turbos and don;t produce as much heat. as far as I know S/C are not water cooled so don't need the water flowing round to cool them( seat's still pump even after the engine is switched off for this reason).
nickyboy01

27th Nov 04 at 23:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As said the S/C is crank driven and no they arent water cooled, all it does it spin up the rotors to forsce air into the inlet.

He's talking out his ass if he was right then you'd have to switch the engine off each time you stopped in traffic

Good thing about the Cooper S is that they use the Eaton S/C same as a Ford F150 Lightning and is a very reliable make
Dr Pepper

27th Nov 04 at 23:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no its definately not water driven-- its a crank....here is something i just found on a mini website..

quote...

"

I think the idea is that if you sit there idling for an extended period the oil can become contaminated by moisture (combustion by-product) and fuel (they run rich at start in the cold). By driving away gently, you help the rings seat, and the engine to get up to temperature more quickly.
"

doesnt sound right to me ? surely it would have to sit for a considerable amount of time for any of this to become an issue

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » question for anyone who knows anything about superchargers? 23 database queries in 0.0149450 seconds