corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » running in

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author running in
blackula

User status: Offline
1st May 03 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats the general concensus on running in new cars ?

Still keep below 3000 rpm for 1000 miles..has motor technology not advanced since me grandad ran in his allegro ?

[Edited on 01-05-2003 by blackula]
Red_SXi

1st May 03 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They told me to keep it easy for the first 500 miles, my Dad's Porsche had to be kept below 4,000RPM for the first 2000 miles, D'oh
CopyWrite

1st May 03 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ooo posh.
StuartVRS

1st May 03 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got my corsa c with 17 miles on clock and was told to hammer the hell out of it by the salesman so any problems would show up early while i still had a form of warranty before i modified it, took his advice too, gave it some serious shit on way home from picking it up and never had a single problem
blackula

1st May 03 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They say it can shorten life of engine if you don't take it easy when its new, I think regular oil changes and warming the engine from cold before booting it is a better long term plan for engine longevity. Most folks rag their car from cold. This geek over the road from us sits on the drive revving the bollocks out of his Saxo to warm it up from cold then thrashes it out the road. Its Xreg and smokes like a twat on the overrun.
blackula

1st May 03 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyway mines a new sxi 1.2, I'd say this car has more than 75 bhp, nearer 85, comparing it with a bout a dozen small cars or so I've lived with in past five years, saxos, corsas, fiestas etc.

I wouldn't call it fast, but its damn nippy for a 1.2 and that keeping the revs down cos its new.

It feels as quick as the missuses West coast 1.4 saxo at under 4 grand, and have not revved it over to compare there.

Impressed, and the build is so damn solid.
Mav 3000

1st May 03 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dad's beemer had no running in period. they said doesn't need it. Thats a 5 series.

Our corsa's we've been told to take it easy for the first few miles - keep it below 60 etc.
miles

2nd May 03 at 00:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You would be a fool not to run it in whether you were told to or not.

Should do 500 miles, change the oil, another 500 miles and change the oil again, during this time taking it very easy.

Thats the procedure for running in rebuilt engines anyway, and as they are engines I imagin its the same.

Whats the point in risking it anyway? For the sake of 2 weeks driving it steadily, you can ensure a long engine life!
FrankP

2nd May 03 at 07:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if ur that worried, get it dyno run in.
OzzySRi

2nd May 03 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as stated in the handbook:

Drive your car at various speeds. DO NOT USE FULL THROTTLE. Never allow the engine to labour.
Make good use of all gears. Depress the accelerator pedal a maximum of around three quarters of the available pedal travel in all gears and drive ranges.
In the interest of the engine and final drive, do not drive faster than three quarters of the maximum speed.
Unless necessary, try not to brake too hard during the first 200km or after new brake pads have been fitted.

I also changed my oil and filter after the first 1000km

[Edited on 02-05-2003 by OzzySRi]
paul_spurrell

2nd May 03 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Corsa C has a run in period of 600 miles. Dont thrash it. Your engine will be smooth and quiet after a few thousand miles.

New Poll