corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Battery light problems

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Battery light problems
Johnyboy18

User status: Offline
20th Apr 05 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right ive changed the battery for my car, as the battery light was flicking and stayed on. However it still flashes and stays on. I think its the alternator, how much would a new alternator cost and how much in labour?what do people think? thanks John
Johnyboy18

20th Apr 05 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anyone? i got ring around 2mora and i dont wana be ripped off.
ed

20th Apr 05 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, best thing to do is:

Buy a multimeter
Check batter voltage while engine is off - it should be between 11v and 12v roughly depending on how healthy the battery is.
Turn the car on, the voltage should read about 14v when the car is running. if it is reading the same voltage as it was when the engine is turned off then your alternator is completely buggered.

If the voltage was low at first with the engine turned off replace the battery. If you have stuff like amps or neons on your car consider getting a calcium battery for a diesel Corsa - much better!
If the voltage remains low when the engine is on (most likely problem) remove the alternator - its held on by 3 bolts - dead easy to do - and take it to Halfords or a Motorfactors, they should exchange your shot alternator for a re-conditioned one for about £40-£50. If you pay a mechanic to do the work for you then expect an hour or two of labour, that costs as much as your mechanice charges. Tyre shops usually have fixed rates for alternators though, so are a good bet becuase they are pretty cheap...
Johnyboy18

20th Apr 05 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just been outside checking the volts, it starts at 12, then goes up to 14 so the alternator isnt buggered? what could be the problem, maybe the alternator is on the way out? i havent a clue. my gfs dad knows quite a bit about cars apparently just need a rough idea about what the problems are? thanks 1800ed very helpful!
ed

20th Apr 05 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

14 volts means the battery is charging... Battery wouldn't charge if the alternator was broke... er....

Something must be getting a low voltage somewhere along the line. CHeck the earths for the ECU and the speedo. The ECU earth goes into the negative terminal on the battery.... Does everything work properly? Are your lights bright, can you have them on full beam with the stereo on e.t.c...
Johnyboy18

20th Apr 05 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just went out in the car and ragged it a bit. the battery light faded and went out. yeh worked fine with full beam and stereo on etc. Could it be something to do with the fact that ive put a new battery in and some sort of recharging process is happening for this light to come on? also on the rev counter near the '7' the red light used to come on when i went high on revs (the light looks a figure of a person in a seat) this was before i changed the battery however.
ed

20th Apr 05 at 23:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The figure of a person light is a seatbelt light or an airbag light

You were probably getting a low voltage because of the low battery if it has gone away now... But anyway, should be sorted now

[Edited on 20-04-2005 by 1800ed]
Johnyboy18

20th Apr 05 at 23:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol its below the 7 on the rev counter, and came on when i went high in the revs or when i put my foot down. weird hey. Hopefully its sorted, im not so sure - cos the same symptoms occured when i put the new battery in. maybe if i leave the car idle for a while the new battery will sort itself out and battery light will disappear
Johnyboy18

21st Apr 05 at 07:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

drove the car this morning, the battery light still flickers and stays on for periods of time. Also the red light under the 7 on the rev counter comes on when i hit about 3 thousand revs. Its so annoying. Anyone?
Joff

21st Apr 05 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The light that's coming on, what does it look like again...?

Johnyboy18

21st Apr 05 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its light just under the 7 on the rev counter. it could be a loss connection, hopefully my gf's dad will beable to check it 2day.

New Poll