corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » FAN not working

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author FAN not working
russb

User status: Offline
10th Apr 05 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, after putting my engine back in, my rad fan dosnt seem to be working, after i had just been running the engine for a while, realised it wasnt working when the needle went into the red, i left the engine running opened the bonnet, having a look at the electrical connection between the fan and the wires, fine looked up and

PISHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

something of the header tank came off and i got absalutly soaked in boiling dirty engine water, now i am completly soaked, have a burnt face and have a broken fan

what else could cause it to do that, i do notice i have a spare connecter coming off my starter motor loom bit, i will take a pic once my car and me have cooled down!!!
AdamF
Premium Member

10th Apr 05 at 15:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

more than like the switch in the rad mate. is it a different engine you have put in?
russb

10th Apr 05 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

same engine....it worked before!
AdamF
Premium Member

10th Apr 05 at 15:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

try cleaning the connections on the switch and in the plug. other then that id try a new switch bout 7 quid i think
russb

10th Apr 05 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

where is the switch located? the switch on the fan itself?
AdamF
Premium Member

10th Apr 05 at 15:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there is a plug on the fan but thats the main feed.

there is a temp controlled switch in the bottom left hand corner of the rad which cuts the fan in at a certain temp
russb

10th Apr 05 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea i just noticed that when i went out to have a look.....it wasnt plugged in so i plugged it in, it still dosnt work
AdamF
Premium Member

10th Apr 05 at 15:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

has it boiled up again? go out there with a paperclip and stick it across the two ends of the plug and see if the fan works then. if it does then new switch
russb

10th Apr 05 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok...will give it a go
CorsAsh

10th Apr 05 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm havin same prob with mine atm. Get the end of the connector that goes into the switch on the rad, put a piece of wire across the two metal contacts inside it, then turn your ignition on. If the fan fires up, it's the switch that fucked. If the fan doesn't come on, then its either the motor or the wiring loom thats up the spout.
russb

10th Apr 05 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it worked with the paperclip....just cleaned the connections and its overheating its self as i type this...better go lol is it best to have the header tank cap on or off? and how do i get rid of air locks? ta

russ
CorsAsh

10th Apr 05 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AdamF
has it boiled up again? go out there with a paperclip and stick it across the two ends of the plug and see if the fan works then. if it does then new switch

Didn't see this before posting last reply, d'oh
russb

10th Apr 05 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

workes fine now ive cleaned the bits up! Thanks......any i think ive got a big airlock now
AdamF
Premium Member

10th Apr 05 at 16:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

best to do it with it off so air can escape. there is no actuall way of bleeding them really. make sure you have the heater to hot.
CorsAsh

10th Apr 05 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whenever I've drained my rad, ive given the pipes a good squeezing, you'll see water gushing back into header tank when you do it... that should in theory force any air out of the system.

Works for me.
russb

10th Apr 05 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the pipes are too hot ouch ouch ill wiat for them to cool down!
Kerry

10th Apr 05 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

best way to bleed system is leaving it ticking over with heaters on full and hot and the header cap off

New Poll