corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » I'm sure my car should be quicker..........

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author I'm sure my car should be quicker..........
hayley b

User status: Offline
   6th Apr 05 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey everyone, i've recently brought a 1.6 16v sport Corsa, supposedly it's chipped and has enlarged throttle bodies. I know it has had a de-cat but i'm not convinced it's chipped. I've had 110mph out of it but i'm sure it should go quicker. 1st & 2nd gear are good, better since the plugs & leads were changed, but the power just doesn't all seem to be there. Do you think that if it is chipped it could be making it run worse somehow? Or can anyone suggest anything or no a decent place near to me where i could take it(i live in Suffolk) any help would be very much appreciated! Cheers,

Hayley
Ajones_17

6th Apr 05 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My car pulls up to 125mph quite comfortably, with just an exhaust and panel filter. Somethin musn't be right wiv yours hayley, get a diognostic check on it.

Andy
Greasemonkey

6th Apr 05 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

easy one this, undo the screws on the drivers side kick panel to expose the ecu, unscrew it, unplug it then undo the 2 star headed screws on ecu and you will see the chip, tell me what it says, it will probably say superchip or unichip if it is chipped, does it rev past 6500rpm also. my car had 132bhp and struggled to get past 125mph never found out why
Rob H

6th Apr 05 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds interesting that the only mods are stuff that you cant really see . Did you get a reciept with the car for the stuff thats supposedly fitted?
3CorsaMeal

6th Apr 05 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

alot of cars are sold saying "chipped", because most people just believe it and unsure how to check

should go faster than 110mph, even in standard form, my 1.4 does that if i torture it enough
adelcorsa

6th Apr 05 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im near u im in ipswich

it does not sound like it is chiped
i had mine to 120 no probs and its on got a filter so far
a_j_mair

6th Apr 05 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine got to bout 115 didnt think it would have went much further, thats with a filter abd decat 2" exhaust engine managment light is on mind, maybe sumthin to do with it??
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

6th Apr 05 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but without other mods a chip and so called "enlarged throttle body" will do fuck all for performance (not anything noticable anyway)

diagnostics is also a waste of time as well, unless the engine management light is on!

personally, i would check the timing is spot on, as a cam pulley being out by 1 tooth is enough to make a big difference in performance.

stick it on a rolling road, only £50 ish and will give a good idea for the reason of any loss of power if there is any.

a_j_mair

6th Apr 05 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i need to get mine on the rolling road to get it running properly i think
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

6th Apr 05 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by a_j_mair
i need to get mine on the rolling road to get it running properly i think

id check the reason for the management light being on first mate, a lot of rolling road places wont do a run on the car with it being on.

do a paperclip test.
a_j_mair

6th Apr 05 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tried that, couldnt get it. had it plugged in to diagnostic. aparently low voltage to air intake solenoid heard the x16xe doesnt have one of them
sorry for hijackin ur thread
calidus

6th Apr 05 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my c16xe does 105-107ish in 4th and thats with backbox n induction kit so if its almost topping out at 110 it sounds a bit iffy
oli_h

6th Apr 05 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i used 2 b able 2 get bout 107 b4 i put ma weels on that was jus a standard 1.2 but no i get 2 90 n' no faster lol
MoNkEy MaGiC

7th Apr 05 at 00:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my car with induction kit and exhaust gets to 110mph in no time!! then slows down a bit to about 122mph!

your car is similar so should be doing the same if not better coz mine is not chipped!!

make sure your leads are ok, and your using the recommended spark plugs and oil, (champion and vaux 10w40)

the power band should be around 5000+revs!! thats when it pulls hardest! not fade out as your saying! with just you in the car 1st, 2nd, 3rd and even 4th should pull quite well!

quote:
Originally posted by calidus
my c16xe does 105-107ish in 4th and thats with backbox n induction kit so if its almost topping out at 110 it sounds a bit iffy

is that with larger/non standard alloys and to the redline in 4th??
coz i think your speedo may be out!

my C16xe Gsi with standard alloys does exactly 100mph at about 6100-6200rpm in 4th

[Edited on 07-04-2005 by MoNkEy MaGiC]
Ajones_17

7th Apr 05 at 00:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MoNkEy MaGiC

my C16xe Gsi with standard alloys does exactly 100mph at about 6100-6200rpm in 4th

Same as my X16xe

I agree Hayley, get it rolling roded
broster
Premium Member

7th Apr 05 at 06:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Greasemonkey
easy one this, undo the screws on the drivers side kick panel to expose the ecu, unscrew it, unplug it then undo the 2 star headed screws on ecu and you will see the chip, tell me what it says, it will probably say superchip or unichip if it is chipped, does it rev past 6500rpm also. my car had 132bhp and struggled to get past 125mph never found out why

not true, if its the sport it wont have a piggy back chip, itll just be mapped over(if its a super chip) but you should have been givien a customer key. if its a uni chip there will be a little purple box there too
oli_h

7th Apr 05 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ye i got 16's, ye i cain the f**k out of my gears n' ye i do believe my speedo is out i jus need 2 go along road wiv some 1 else who ent got allys 2 c how fast theyr goin dwn a hill c how fast they get
leeshez

7th Apr 05 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine was great i got 120+ out of it
hayley b

7th Apr 05 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for your suggestions everyone, i did have a brief look at the ECU and did see something purple on it, i'm gonna have to take it to a garage i think. I want to get it rolling roaded but because the front bumper is blended in and also it's really low so i don't think i'll be able to get it on there! Yeah there were some receipts with it. I just want it sorted! The acceleration-1st & 2nd is good, it's just after that, the power just isn't there!
3CorsaMeal

7th Apr 05 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

could be something else totally, some kinda engine fault, is the exhaust smokey?
hayley b

7th Apr 05 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jim
could be something else totally, some kinda engine fault, is the exhaust smokey?

No exhaust isn't smokey at all?

New Poll