corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » help/advice needed re: engine temp

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author help/advice needed re: engine temp
geordiecorsa

User status: Offline
26th Mar 05 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could anyone give me some sort of indication as to what engine temperature is 'normal' for my corsa?

I have a 1994 1.2 corsa; and the engine temp guage on the dash hasn't really moved from around 85 degrees C., this morning its levelling at about 90 degrees C.

The sudden moving has gotten me a bit worried, i'm supposed to be driving from newcastle to preston today!!

thanks folks - geordie.

"hey all - first post and its a cry for help - not the greatest of starts i know!"
TOMAS

User status: Offline
26th Mar 05 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well for a kick off dont be too worried as it sounds as though its running cold - this is not quite as bad as running hot! First thing is to establish if the gauge is reading correctly.

You need to pull the wire off of the temp gauge sender and touch it to a clean earth anywhere around the bay, it should shoot the gauge upto full temp on the gauge - if it does it means the gauge itself is working properly.

Next thing is to test the sender - there is no sure way to do this except replace it - they are about £12 from Vaux. Someone will tell me but maybe you could stick a thermometer in the header tank to see what the temp is although this isnt the most accurate temp reading.

If it is deffo reading the correct temp then it sounds like the thermostat is stuck open, does the radiator get warm very quickly from running the engine from stone cold? - if yes that deffo sounds like a stuck thermostat, especially as the car is very old it may never have been replaced.

Another thing would be that you dont get very good fuel economy as your engine is running cold always. Normal temp should be 92-94 deg and stuck in traffic should not go above 98/99 deg - does your rad fan ever come on if you leave the car idling for say 15/20 mins?

New Poll