corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Meta tag information and submitting to search engines

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Meta tag information and submitting to search engines
SetH

User status: Offline
18th Feb 05 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, have added keywords into the META tags but what else can i do to make sure my website is added to search engine indexing?

micra_pete
Premium Member

18th Feb 05 at 13:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

erm, submit it sometimes helps, but the best way is for your site to be linked from other sites setH

also it can take ages, it took 3 month for my site to be listed, and google went crazy with bandwidth
Gavin
Premium Member

18th Feb 05 at 13:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

took about 2-3 weeks for mine to be aded to google

had a few meta tags in index and then submitting it to google using

clicky

pew pew pew pewwwww
Mark Petty

18th Feb 05 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was told by someone in the website industry that having keywords to improve the search index is a myth. (Not sure how true that is)
Best way as pete said was through links from other sites. Then web crawlers will pick them up.

[Edited on 18-02-2005 by Mark Petty]
SetH

18th Feb 05 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks chaps.
Nismo

18th Feb 05 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SetH check this page out

http://www.webmaster-toolkit.com/web-page-analyser.shtml
Joff

18th Feb 05 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Petty
I was told by someone in the website industry that having keywords to improve the search index is a myth. (Not sure how true that is)
Best way as pete said was through links from other sites. Then web crawlers will pick them up.

Keywords and Description META tags are used by some search engines, but IIRC Google ignores them and instead relies on PageRank values and page content.
Mikorsa16v

18th Feb 05 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

apparently a html front page with info/text on it will be better listed than a flash index page
Ian
Site Administrator

18th Feb 05 at 15:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Keywords aren't used so much these days as they're too easily fiddled.

Best way to be ranked is to have lots of content - text, not pictures, which can be read by the search engine and be linked to from other sites.

If those sites in turn are highly ranked then yours will be proportionally better.
Mark Petty

18th Feb 05 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also do not use frames as the webcrawler will only go in to the first frame as they are not linked in any way.
Another idea is to put a site map link at the bottom of every page to make sure it can freely go through every page without a dead end.
Joff

18th Feb 05 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Petty
Also do not use frames as the webcrawler will only go in to the first frame as they are not linked in any way.
Another idea is to put a site map link at the bottom of every page to make sure it can freely go through every page without a dead end.

Which is why you make use of the <noframes> tag.
Have a sitemap and link to the sitemap from within the <noframes> tag of your frame page.

New Poll