corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » ECO TEC engines?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author ECO TEC engines?
Pete

User status: Offline
28th Feb 03 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I never said your engine was crap. See my earlier comment about you being over dramatic.

As for the cambelt roller problem, Vauxhall claim this is rectified by fitting the newer specification rollers which we know is crap. The red top is notorious for being a solid engine that goes on forever. The ecotec's aren't.
Pete

28th Feb 03 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Donna Corsa GSi
VKR done me a deal on my engine i can't remember pvd fitting my mantzel box/superchip etc

No they sorted you out a free Pipercross and a discounted exhaust manifold. Ungrateful cow.
Pete

28th Feb 03 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And fook knows why I'm arguing, I've gotta go! Cya later........
Donna Corsa GSi

28th Feb 03 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pipercross gave me a free induction kit as they used my car to make one for the GSI and u done me a discount on the manifold because i do soooooooooooooooo much for PVD like give up my whole weekend to do ur accounts and get up at 6am in the morning on the saturday to drive for 1 1/2hrs to do ur accounts for 1/4 of the cost u should pay.

[Edited on 28-02-2003 by Donna Corsa GSi]
Patrick

28th Feb 03 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
My head gasket went at 66K miles. Could happen to any car even if i did hit the limiter 4 times in the same day @ 7500 rpm

I had my cars rev limit raised to 7,500rpm when I still had all the original engine internals and I used to run it to the limiter all the time sometimes dozens in the same day and my head gasket never went!
Donna Corsa GSi

28th Feb 03 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lucky bastard
Pete

28th Feb 03 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Pipercross gave me a free induction kit as they used my car to make one for the GSI and u done me a discount on the manifold because i do soooooooooooooooo much for PVD like give up my whole weekend to do ur accounts and get up at 6am in the morning on the saturday to drive for 1 1/2hrs to do ur accounts for 1/4 of the cost u should pay.

[Edited on 28-02-2003 by Donna Corsa GSi]

Sorted you out as in I arranged the Pipercross for you. And gave you free accomodation!

And I know that's why I gave you the discount on the manifold. Did I ever say otherwise?

NOW STOP ARGUING I HAVE TO GO!
Donna Corsa GSi

28th Feb 03 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well before u go let me remind u of the time i left at 6am to come and do ur accounts worked solidly for 10hours, finished what i come to do and cause i needed to go and couldn't do what u wanted me to do. U told me ud fucking pay me when id fucking done some work. if thats not ungrateful i don't know what is?!?!
OFcorsa

28th Feb 03 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Phuck neighbours i wanna keep watching this soap!!!!
Andy

28th Feb 03 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pete - sorry I have to disagree with you here. The red top is a great engine - one of the best that Vaux ever made but:

1 - How do you know the 1600s are inherently unreliable (cam belt tensioners aside)? Being a newer engine, I think it's too early to say.
2 - Tuned properly, the 1600 engine produces MORE torque virtually everywhere. With gas flowed head and Unichip, I increased mid range torque up to 127ft/lb
3 - who says the standard internals of the 1.6 are not strong. The pistons will take 8000rpm no problems. Steve Broughton at SBD runs 1600 engines up to 9250rpm on the standard crank!! Try doing that with the red top and watch it explode...

It's true that you won't get as much torque from a tuned 1600 as a 2L but that's hardly a criticism of the 1600. As they say, there ain't no substitute for cubes. But a 1600 can be more cheaply tuned to 100bhp per litre than a 2L and has the weight advantage. Also it's inherently revvy nature means that its lower torque can effectively be 'multiplied up' with proper gearing.

Patrick - 127ft/lb and 170bhp just goes to show what happens when you go to Regal for engine tuning...
Daimo B

28th Feb 03 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Andy, Pete is ALWAYS right, never wrong.

SBD must be fools, listen to Pete

1.6 16v Engines forever.

Oh, just one other thing. I dont actually know of people with High milage GSisSports yet. Because they are newer engines.

I should imagine a 1.6 16v engine will still be rocking on after 120,000miles easy.
Patrick

28th Feb 03 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've gotta sort out some proper engine management soon, My car is over fuelling really badly! Flames all the times but now keeps backfiring too! The amount of black shite coming out of the exhaust ain't too healthy either!
Andy

28th Feb 03 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do it soon matey - if it's over-fuelling badly, there's a risk you'll end up 'washing the bores' (diluting the bore lubricant) and that's a recipe for serious bore wear...
Patrick

28th Feb 03 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd saying it's doing it really badly. It flames and pops almost everytime I change gear now and has backfired about 4 times this week. On £10 of petrol my car is doing about 22 miles!

[Edited on 28-02-2003 by Patrick]
Mo

28th Feb 03 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok after all that arguing is the eco tec engine good or not?
m4tt_c

28th Feb 03 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep good engine
RickV6

28th Feb 03 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pete
Reliability issues? Cambelt tensioners for a start - even Vauxhalls "fixed" ones still break. Vauxhall just pay people off when this happens to stop people making a big deal out of it.

Also the standard to which the C20XE was built is great. Much more solid block, forged pistons as standard, etc. I know plenty of these with 140K + miles on the clock going strong. The Ecotecs tend to blow up by this point.

Did you forget the pourus head issue on the two litre and the fact you cant even put an induction kit on without it getting confused!
All engines have their faults, i think all vaux engines are excellent and everyone will have their fave lets not argue girls! compare with shitty ford or peugeot engines instead
RickV6

28th Feb 03 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do you know they blow up! i dont think any car would have that kind of mileage on it yet and its got the same bulletproof bottom end as the 8 valves which have been known to get up to 200,000 miles or more
RickV6

28th Feb 03 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This says a lot about this cracking little lump
'The addition of the taper throttles to this management system, on this remarkable little engine is startling and produces a greater power increase than the same modification does for the 2.0L. We have achieved a genuine 164BHP(STD engine is 109BHP) and still have not touched the engine. The engine is on song at very low revs, and has a torque curve which is virtually flat from side to side of the graph, whilst the power curve simply climbs at a very steady gradient.'
Courtesy of SBD
mmmmm flat torque curve nice
leeshez

1st Mar 03 at 02:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a ecotech engine on my motor keep it going and smiling Lee
Cybermonkey

1st Mar 03 at 09:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This has been a great read and i think Pete is treading in deep water now! The 1600 lump is superb, full stop.

Dave
Daimo B

1st Mar 03 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pete isn't argueing about the engines, i think he just has a problem. He doesn't like me really and is really really arrogent, he just won't accept it. He loves an "argument" but i found this an interesting "disscussion" as it proved the all so mights righty Pete
Cybermonkey

1st Mar 03 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he he yeah, and also the fact that the 16xe doesnt have any reliability issues apart from the cambelt tensioners!

Dave
ainsley_brader

1st Mar 03 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey24
he he yeah, and also the fact that the 16xe doesnt have any reliability issues apart from the cambelt tensioners!

Dave

and headgaskets!

oh wasnt there also a sticking valve problem?

oh yes and dont gsis burn oil really badly?

Cracking argument i mean discussion,

Ainsley

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll