corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » ECO TEC engines?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author ECO TEC engines?
Patrick

User status: Offline
28th Feb 03 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Torque is bad on these engines, like I said I've only got 124ib/ft with 170bhp and Andy has about 144ib/ft and thats with 214bhp!

The 2.0 16v has 147ib/ft as standard and with mods the torque goes up quite respectably also!
Daimo B

28th Feb 03 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Patrick
Torque is bad on these engines, like I said I've only got 124ib/ft with 170bhp and Andy has about 144ib/ft and thats with 214bhp!

The 2.0 16v has 147ib/ft as standard and with mods the torque goes up quite respectably also!

Doesn't go into the 200lb ft though.

Andsy got 155lb ft n 220bhp now

Just gets better and better
Pete

28th Feb 03 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daimo B
quote:
Originally posted by Pete
Reliability issues? Cambelt tensioners for a start - even Vauxhalls "fixed" ones still break. Vauxhall just pay people off when this happens to stop people making a big deal out of it.

Also the standard to which the C20XE was built is great. Much more solid block, forged pistons as standard, etc. I know plenty of these with 140K + miles on the clock going strong. The Ecotecs tend to blow up by this point.

IF your going to tune an engine you would do research and realise that there are parts that need changing like cam belt tensioners. And if ur gonna mod it properly you would get decent aftermarket jobbies.

Someone woke up on the wrong side of bed this morning

X20 is good, and the X16 is good. I prefer the smaller, lighter revvy 1600 and 1400 engines.

No I woke up out of the right side thanks. Just too early! Agreed the tensioners could be replaced for SBD ones, but these engines just don't last as well. They're not built as well. The red top wasn't just Vauxhalls best engine yet, but a truly great engine full stop.

Think of it this way. You want 200bhp from a Corsa. This would cost less than 2 grand to do to a red top. And you'd have over 180 lb/ft of torque. To do this to a 1.6 would cost much much more money and you'd have less torque than a standard red top.

I know what you're saying - you're just opinionated without knowing the facts. As always
Donna Corsa GSi

28th Feb 03 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i agree the 2.0 litre is a better engine but unless fitted properly and serviced well its not reliable at all. I think Petes forgetting the problems he's had didn't u use ALL of ur free recoveries with the RAC and more one year?
Pete

28th Feb 03 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My problems weren't with the engine but with shit MAN tranmission driveshafts. Which are sorted since we fitted M Tech ones

Your engine has done you well but how many miles has it done since the Mantzel box went on? And it's already packed up on you once. Also you have no torque and have to rev the tits of your engine to get your power figure.
Donna Corsa GSi

28th Feb 03 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My head gasket went at 66K miles. Could happen to any car even if i did hit the limiter 4 times in the same day @ 7500 rpm

Still doesn't mean my cars unreliable. Ive had a head gasket go in three years ooooooooooohhhh best get rid of it
Pete

28th Feb 03 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stop being a typical fukking over dramatic blonde..... I didn't say get rid of it! Just said your engine is hardly the definition of reliability. Jeeeeeesus.
Pete

28th Feb 03 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Donna Corsa GSi

why not its had one problem in 3 years that pretty reliable?!?
Daimo B

No, i know what im saying, and i know its cheaper to do the 2.0litre. I do know the "facts" Peter, i've just not written them.

2.0litre is the easier, cheaper option to do, but the 1.6 (which is my opinion) is the better unit FOR the CORSA.

Funny Pete, thought u loved Donnas engine though?

Besides, i'd rather spend the £1500 on getting a TB setup on a 1600cc than putting a new engine in the car thats older, usually been thrashed, and is heavier.
Pete

28th Feb 03 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Loved Donna's engine? I think it's good for a 1.6, but I'd have had the 2.0 over that any day.

And having driven and been in plenty of tuned 1.6's and 2.0 Corsa's I know which is better value for money.
Pete

28th Feb 03 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Donna Corsa GSi

Two if you count the major problem the day you bought it. You smoked too much your memory isn't what it was
Donna Corsa GSi

28th Feb 03 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my brothers head gasket went wivout a mantzel box and so did Daimos and im sure quite a few others have to.
Daimo B

28th Feb 03 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Loved Donna's engine? I think it's good for a 1.6, but I'd have had the 2.0 over that any day.

And having driven and been in plenty of tuned 1.6's and 2.0 Corsa's I know which is better value for money.

Sod whats better for money. IM talking about Fun Factor.

Andy Hamiltons car is iincreable. Lucky B's was mental (been in both), but Andys was far more fun, and sounded lots better.
Donna Corsa GSi

28th Feb 03 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Two if you count the major problem the day you bought it. You smoked too much your memory isn't what it was

Yup and ive said many a time before that i had that problem any vauxhall paid for all the repairs AND i said in 3 years. I think ur find that happened more then 3 years ago so get ur facts right
Donna Corsa GSi

28th Feb 03 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my engine mods cost be £800
Pete

28th Feb 03 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And you don't think your 7500rpm rev limit or whatever it is makes a difference? I never said your engine was crap, just that it's not as reliable as a red top. Not many people would argue with that!

I've got to go out now, so it's been nice arguing with you Damien. You're still wrong so naah naah naah. And I'll see you bright and early in the morning Donald.
Donna Corsa GSi

and the engine was free
Pete

quote:
my engine mods cost be £800

And they'd cost Joe Public how much?
Pete

28th Feb 03 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
and the engine was free

See nobody wants those crappy 1.6's, they're giving them away
Donna Corsa GSi

28th Feb 03 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dunno u work in the trade im an accountant
Pete

28th Feb 03 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I just remember both VKR and PVD doing you a bit of a deal....
Pete

28th Feb 03 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Sarcastic mare.
Donna Corsa GSi

28th Feb 03 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u never said my engine was crap when i took u out in it and u have no proof that 1.6's are unreliable apart from the fact that they have a cambelt roller problem which can easily be rectified
Donna Corsa GSi

28th Feb 03 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VKR done me a deal on my engine i can't remember pvd fitting my mantzel box/superchip etc

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll