corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » gearbox/ speedo cable question

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author gearbox/ speedo cable question
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

User status: Offline
10th Feb 05 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will a gearbox from a 1999 corsa 1.6 sport have a speedo cable? or are the clocks electronic?

if it hasnt got a speedo cable then where does the reading for the electronic speedo come from?

reason is, im fitting the engine, gearbox loom, and ecu from a 1999 corsa 1.6 sport into a 1995 gsi.

any helpers
myke

10th Feb 05 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

same place on the box asfaik.
just swap the transducer over from the elctric one to the cable drive one?
AJBek

10th Feb 05 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a 1998 corsa sport and it has an electric speedo with a solid state sender in the box. If your car runs a cable speedo you will have to swap the clocks over as the sender is solid state, if it is like mine (no gears on the diff, so the plastic speedo drive gear won't fit). You would be better to use the box you have on your own engine mate, should still be an F15 and will have cable drive. Some corsas have a mechanical drive on the gearbox and an electric sender driven off this. This is the sender I am using for my 2.0 conversion. If the F15 you are getting has this arrangement then the speedo cable will fit, but I am sure all the 16V sports use the solid state sender.

[Edited on 10-02-2005 by AJBek]
Dave A

12th Feb 05 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

using my own g.box would be the easy option but i cant

if i fit a set of clocks from a 1999 sport, what wiring will i have to do?
AJBek

12th Feb 05 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only wiring would be the three wires to the sender. The colours are black brown and red/blue. These are (I think) black = ignition controlled live, brown = earth, blue/red = pulse signal to the clocks. I am assuming this because that is the normal VX colouring system, but you would be best to check the wiring diagram for the R to X reg corsas. Cant be too hard to wire though.
Dave A

12th Feb 05 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers matey! anyone got a set of corsa 1.6 16v clocks laying around
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
13th Feb 05 at 01:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tigra stuff will also do the job - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10404&item=4525478011&rd=1

[Edited on 13-02-2005 by Ian]

New Poll