corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Changing Speedo cable

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Changing Speedo cable
Karnage Corsa

User status: Offline
12th Aug 04 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right Iam trying to change the speedo cable now I understand that the cable must be taken out of gearbox end and out of the bulkhead and routed correctly to the same places when refitted. Do I have to take my clocks out to do it just dont ubnderstand if Ihave to do this as the cable does not look long enough to get all that way or if it actually connects to something inside can someone help me fast please I am growing very impatient need this done in the next hour
Greasemonkey

12th Aug 04 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

check the cable dont split in two and you got one half, and yes you have to remove the clocks to plug it in the back, there aint allot of give in the cable its a stretch
Karnage Corsa

12th Aug 04 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right I have it al in place but I took out the other one first so if it snaps I will just have to put it donw to experience and learn from it next time its all in place ready to go in the clocks but the only thing is the end at the gearbox will not go in propperly now because the other one snapped at the gearbox end does it mean it could be blocking the hole if it is what can I do cos I am really stuck here how far should the end part go in the hole cos its sticking out and Iam thinking to myself surely it should not fit like that
Siberia

12th Aug 04 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'd disconnted the battery too... i put me finger on somthing me fingers not supposed to be on behind the dials and got zaped
Karnage Corsa

12th Aug 04 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never even thogh tof that but im nearly done now right the thign that the cable connects too its white ont he gearbox can this be taken off and if so how cos I just can not get the cable connected and I think something may be stuck helpme before Iscream
Karnage Corsa

12th Aug 04 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhh help me
Siberia

12th Aug 04 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right as u look toward the bulkhead of the car from the front the cable is on the right handside of the engine going to the gearbox.

sometimes u can get them of by twisting them with yer had but sometimes there to tight so a long nose pliers i find is the best. u screw it either way.

then disconnect the battery and then uscreww all the screws around the dials and slide them out

then get yer fingers behind them and u will feel the spedo cable there a clip holding it onto the back of the dials press it and the cable should pop off

then just pull the cable out from the engine bay side.

Karnage Corsa

12th Aug 04 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right mate I have done everything but the cable does not go in the hole the part where the gearbox is I have got the old one out got it out of the dials put the new one into the dials have it all routed and in position to fit at the end where the gearbox is but what I am saying is it wont go in it just will not fit at all its the propper cable and everything but the old cable part that snapped must be stuck how the hell do I go about things now I just dont know what to do been on with this for thre hours now a job that should take 1 hour at the most
Adam-D

12th Aug 04 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right you are saying that the inner bit of the cable "the bit that spins" a piece is stuck in the gearbox?

if so the bit the cable connects to unbolts from the gearbox
a 10mm bolt i think it is undo it pull the speedo drive gear out making sure you have all of it
pull out the bit thats stuck in and refit carefully, dont lose anything.
then fit new speedo cable
Siberia

12th Aug 04 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh the fun..... get a size 10 socket and a long extension put the car in third gear and then go back and look u should be able to see a nut undo that ans the thing yer trying to get the cable onto will be able to pull out.

yer right if ya cant get the cable onto it the old piece is broken in it.

ya could try and get this out in the car but its kinda dark were yer working and a bastid to get to.

P.S ive only ever done this on a 1.2 8v F10 box so the f20 on a valver could differnt.
corsafreak

12th Aug 04 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you could put some superglue onto a rod, press it onto the bit the is stuck then pull it out. only use a tiny amount of glue though.
corsafreak

12th Aug 04 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam-D
right you are saying that the inner bit of the cable "the bit that spins" a piece is stuck in the gearbox?

if so the bit the cable connects to unbolts from the gearbox
a 10mm bolt i think it is undo it pull the speedo drive gear out making sure you have all of it
pull out the bit thats stuck in and refit carefully, dont lose anything.
then fit new speedo cable

this happened to me i did as above but the spindle fell into the gearbox on refitting and i needed to drain the gear box, and drop the inspection plate to recover it. be careful.
Karnage Corsa

12th Aug 04 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right I have took out the 10mm bolt but the bracket or whatever it is is realy hard to get off the car is currently in first does it have to be in third or does that not matter at all
Adam-D

12th Aug 04 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

try neutral
Siberia

12th Aug 04 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get yer long nose pliers and pull it gigle it too.

and the only reason y u have to put the car in gear is cos the linkage will be right in the way if ya dont

BTW the hard part is getting that back in

[Edited on 12-08-2004 by Siberia]
Karnage Corsa

12th Aug 04 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have givenm up I cant do it I justr cant do it its p!ssed me off that much its getting dark and I am starving I dont know what I am doing wrong I have done everything but this last part what else can I do ?
the white part thats stuck to the gearbox does that part has something else sticking out of it or does that part have the hole in it because I just cant work out whats wrong thinking about it I should of took some pictures but I never thought
Siberia

12th Aug 04 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the end of yer speedo cable has a square piece sticking out... this slots into a square socket in that plastic

if yer having problems gettign the new cable into the piece that broke off the old cable is still in there and u will never get it out while its in the car.

this is the piece yer taking out

Karnage Corsa

12th Aug 04 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes thats the fu@ker but I think mine is white the problem is how the hell do u get that part out I tried getting a screw driver underneath it to wedge it out but had no luck I have the hard part out of the way so its just lying there now waiting for that end to go inh so all I need to do is get that white thing off and get the old cable out and bobs me uncle but how can I get it off without breaking it

[Edited on 12-08-2004 by Karnage Corsa]
Siberia

12th Aug 04 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theres a size ten bolt that holds it in place once that bolt is out u should be able to pull the part out of the geabox with a longnose pliers
Karnage Corsa

12th Aug 04 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ialready have the bolt out its definately 10mm its out but I cant get the plastic out Ihave tried everything I can think of I am just going to have to try again tomorrow thats all Ican do its p!ssing me off so much I started this at 4 o clock and still itrs not done got a rolling road event booked on Saturday morning and I am supposed to be going but I cant go if this is not done I will look like a right walley
Siberia

12th Aug 04 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pack it up for tonight man get a beer into ya and relax start again fressh tommorrow it should just pull out though....

[Edited on 12-08-2004 by Siberia]
Karnage Corsa

12th Aug 04 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have going to start again tomorrow hoping it will just come off with some pliars just put it down to a nightmare really shoutl be able to do it a lot quicker no need for the ramps either now the cable is firmly fixed into the dials and propperly routed to the correct area
corsafreak

12th Aug 04 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

paul have you tried rotating it 90 degrees then get something under it like a knife or screwdriver to ease it out. rotating it may break the seal allowing it to come out easier.
Adam-D

12th Aug 04 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rock it backward and forward in a gear it may free it
Karnage Corsa

13th Aug 04 at 07:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I will try both things chaps I need it sorting out today cos I want it done for the RR day tomorrow, I am dead busy though going to see about my appeal of my sackign at the union going to the bank to see about a business account and got a bloke coming to see me about a job the pleasures of being a busy lad ha ha

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll