corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 5 speed gearbox on a 1.2 8v

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 5 speed gearbox on a 1.2 8v
martint2k3

User status: Offline
25th Jan 05 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my car screams like feck when its in 4th gear at 80-90mph, would it stop this if i added a 5 speed gearbox? also, would it damage the engine in anyway? thanks
Carr

25th Jan 05 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not sure cus my 1.2 8v has a 5 speed but 4 speed gearboxes are meant to be set differently to stop this i thought? maybe ure car just cant go that fast?
Filby1

25th Jan 05 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine is 1.2 8v and it screams anythnig after 4+ RPM Thats about 80mph im my car with a 5 speed box
martint2k3

25th Jan 05 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

probably! lol! jus pisses me off when im goin down the motorway n all i can hear is the engine screamin its balls off, i cant even see how many revs im doing either, coz it aint got a bloody rev counter, thin ki must add one of them soon
Filby1

25th Jan 05 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to be honest 1.2 88v cars arnt realy made for M-ways, well maybe in the slow lane. i know when im coming home from places in the Lexus in the middle lane all we get is novas and corsas screaming past in the outside lane and thats when we pushing 95 sometimes
Siberia

25th Jan 05 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i done this when i had my 1.2 8v engine...

well worth it if you do it yourself.... if you have to pay someone to do it i wouldnt bother....

also its only to stop it form screaming.... dont think that yer gonna be able to go faster cos ya wont....

deffo worth it though i did mine in a few hrs.....
Carr

25th Jan 05 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by martint2k3
probably! lol! jus pisses me off when im goin down the motorway n all i can hear is the engine screamin its balls off, i cant even see how many revs im doing either, coz it aint got a bloody rev counter, thin ki must add one of them soon

i think i need to get myself a rev counter soon. is there anyway to just get the dash with a rev counter from the scrappy and wire it up to that?
martint2k3

25th Jan 05 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not sure, wish i knew, i heard somewhere that the wiring is already there for it, but i aint a clue lol
Cybermonkey

25th Jan 05 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Martin mate, i would reccomend you grab yourself a 5sp box. Used to have the 1.2 8v with 5 speed, and it was always a little better in 5th gear. Gearbox is F10 and can be found in both Nova's and Corsa's, although the 4 speed was the only F10 in Nova, and Corsa Merit. All other 1.2 8v's got the 5 speed.
However the 5th gear is an overdrive gear and will not increase top speed. that is obtained in 4th gear at 96mph
If you do a lot of motorway miles, get the 5speed, you can pick them up for next to nothing. And my car was quite happy to sit on the outside lane of the motorway at 85-90.

[Edited on 25-01-2005 by Cybermonkey24]
Greg W

25th Jan 05 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry to hijack your convo Martin, but these questions could/will help you aswell
my cars got a four speed box aswellhow much u lookin at for a replacment gearbox and how will the insurers take it?

Greg.
Richie

25th Jan 05 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Insurance doesnt even have to know, its the same as your gearbox going bang and you only being able to source a 5 speed box, it really doesnt matter.
Siberia

25th Jan 05 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gearbox about 40-50 quid.... fits straigh in....

do ya really need to tell your insurance company about it?
Greg W

25th Jan 05 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Siberia
gearbox about 40-50 quid.... fits straigh in....

do ya really need to tell your insurance company about it?

O right i see.

Is it just a case of taking the old one off and replacing it with the "new" one?
Siberia

25th Jan 05 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh..... simple swap out....

New Poll