corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » new gearbox for my baby 1.2 8v

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author new gearbox for my baby 1.2 8v
corsa_lover

User status: Offline
3rd Jan 05 at 09:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im new to the whole idea of messing around with gearboxes and stuff but a) im brave and b) i have a trusty haynes manual. To cut a long story short some fcuker drove into the back of my car nearly writing it off, so have been given a brand spanking new 1.6 fsi golf with 6 gears by the insurance company for a while, problem is i cant get used to driving my car again because the ratios in my gearbox are shite! I've done a search and so far i think ive worked out ive got an f10 gearbox (my corsa is M 95) and the best upgrade for my car would be the f13 out of a 1.2 16v, because the linkage wouldnt need changing and it would match my car better. Am i talking bollox?

If im going to do all that work will it make a nice noticeable difference or could i jump to a 1.6 gearbox, im so confused!!

infinitycorsa

3rd Jan 05 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

adam d had one for sale, off a 1.2 8v if thats anyhelp
TOMAS

3rd Jan 05 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They did two F13 boxes - ones CR the other WR (close/wide ratio's). Think the CR is on the SXI models. TBH I'd just get used to your box, a new gear box is going to be quite a bit of work for minimal results out of your wee engine. Just pull the whole lump out and fit a bigger engine if I were you...

P.S I have a F13 box for sale out of a 2000 B 1.2 16V... And can deliver if your near to Notts?

[Edited on 03-01-2005 by TOMAS]
James_DT

3rd Jan 05 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're jumping to a 1.6 gearbox, jump to a 1.6 engine as well.
TOMAS

3rd Jan 05 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^ exactly... with the extra weight of a F16 your wee 1.2 8V will prolly die! There is a reason WHY they cam with an F10, because the F10 makes the most of the wee engine. Seriously i'd say your wasting your time, I think the problem your having is not getting used to the ratio's but getting used to the sheer lack of power...
Siberia

3rd Jan 05 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the only gearbox change for a 1.2 8v i'd recomend is if you have a 4 speed f10 box..... get a five speed f10....

the 1.2 8v is not going to have the power to turns the ratios in the f13 properly....

as mentioned above do the engine at the same time gearbox change......
corsa_lover

3rd Jan 05 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well like i said i am new to all this gearbox stuff and as i cant afford a new engine just yet (just spent over a grand on my ice and still going) ill leave it as you all seem to know what your talking about, ill have to get back used to it!

Thanks for the advise, 1 last question, as i'm just after a smoother ride not really performance yet is there nothing i can do? (obviously i dont expect it to run like a brand new 1)

[Edited on 03-01-2005 by corsa_lover]
jr

3rd Jan 05 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a F13 Cr for sale

is a closer ration gear box, but will give you a hiher top speed becasue of the longer 5th
Adam-D

3rd Jan 05 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes i have a gearbox for sale

New Poll