corsasport.co.uk
 

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » difference between 5 speed and 6 speed?


New Topic

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.


Author difference between 5 speed and 6 speed?
mwg
Member

Registered: 19th Feb 04
Location: South Lakes
User status: Offline
   7th May 04 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wots the difference between 5 speed gearbox and 6 speed gearbox apart from the extra gear so I mean which is better for top speed and which is better for acceleration? and which engines can u link a 6 speed to? Also best engine and gearbox combo in a Corsa?

Just thought it would make an interesting thread
simonp
Member

Registered: 12th Jan 01
Location: Portishead Drives:Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo
User status: Offline
7th May 04 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends what 5 speed you're talking about. F28 6 speed has similar ratios to the F20 as found in Cav GSi's, Astra GTE 16v's etc. But has the 6th gear for cruising. This is basically the same final drive as you'd find in any wide ratio gearbox. So at the end of the day, you have all the benefits of a close ratio box (deisgned to keep the power in the power band) and that nice 6th gear for motorway cruising.

You can fit it to any big block engine, so is a nice compliment to an XE or LET.

You can fit it to a small block engine, but then you'd have problems with engine geometry. You'd need to make some offset engine mounts to shift the the whole lot over so that the drive shafts will fit.

It's a practice used when fitting an F28 to a C25XE (2.5 V6).

[Edited on 07-05-2004 by simonp]
mossy
Member

Registered: 22nd Jan 04
Location: Manchester Drives: GSi
User status: Offline
7th May 04 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1 GEAR
mwg
Member

Registered: 19th Feb 04
Location: South Lakes
User status: Offline
7th May 04 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mossy
1 GEAR


I allready said apart from that fool
mwg
Member

Registered: 19th Feb 04
Location: South Lakes
User status: Offline
7th May 04 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by simonp
Depends what 5 speed you're talking about. F28 6 speed has similar ratios to the F20 as found in Cav GSi's, Astra GTE 16v's etc. But has the 6th gear for cruising. This is basically the same final drive as you'd find in any wide ratio gearbox. So at the end of the day, you have all the benefits of a close ratio box (deisgned to keep the power in the power band) and that nice 6th gear for motorway cruising.

You can fit it to any big block engine, so is a nice compliment to an XE or LET.

You can fit it to a small block engine, but then you'd have problems with engine geometry. You'd need to make some offset engine mounts to shift the the whole lot over so that the drive shafts will fit.

It's a practice used when fitting an F28 to a C25XE (2.5 V6).

[Edited on 07-05-2004 by simonp]


thats sounds good then. still have the acceleration but get a good cruising gear too for motorways. the Vaux gearboxes arent as clunky and shit as the Ford ones are they? cos every Ford Ive been in (including my cousins ST170) is really noisy and clunky. sound shit!
simonp
Member

Registered: 12th Jan 01
Location: Portishead Drives:Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo
User status: Offline
8th May 04 at 00:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, I've never got on well with Ford gearboxes. The term 'Stirring custard' springs to mind. But then again, Ford Owners think the same about the Vaux boxes.

The F28 feels the same as any normal gearbox, reverse can sometimes be a total bitch to select though. Never understood why that is though.
clarkie
Member

Registered: 24th Jun 03
Location: Nuneaton Drives:1.4 sport
User status: Offline
8th May 04 at 07:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it'd be cause reverse has no syncro mesh i guess
simonp
Member

Registered: 12th Jan 01
Location: Portishead Drives:Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo
User status: Offline
8th May 04 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very very few gearbox's have syncromesh in reverse. Ford's MTX75 gearbox has it, but no gearbox in any Vauxhall has syncro in reverse.
Mattb
Member

Registered: 2nd Feb 03
Location: Under your sisters bed
User status: Offline
8th May 04 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is also the F16 off the cav sri 8v, fits to the Xe (and let if you fancy blowing the box up) shorter ratios than the f20, but gives a lower top end
miles
Member

Registered: 25th Mar 02
Location: plymouth Drives: Astra Sport
User status: Offline
8th May 04 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The 6 speed box is a fair bit heavier, obviously its for 4x4 as standard but can be converted easily. You'll also loose more power through the F28.

No idea how you'd fit it to a small block, you'd need a adapter plate and all sorts. Would also need big block drive shafts.

F28 = about 350
F20 = about 50

F28 will take much more power without a problem.
Ian
Site Administrator

Avatar

Registered: 28th Aug 99
Location: Liverpool
User status: Offline
8th May 04 at 11:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Both boxes can handle the output of a standard XE without problem. The F28 may be that little bit tougher but at 5-10 times the price I'd stock up on F20s myself.

There's also a chap in Redline this month who has fitted one to a normally aspirated 2 litre and said it was all wrong and he planned to change it to F16.
ainsley_brader
Member

Registered: 24th Mar 02
Location: Tattershall, Lincolnshire
User status: Offline
9th May 04 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by simonp
Very very few gearbox's have syncromesh in reverse. Ford's MTX75 gearbox has it, but no gearbox in any Vauxhall has syncro in reverse.


Vauxhall frontera
simonp
Member

Registered: 12th Jan 01
Location: Portishead Drives:Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo
User status: Offline
9th May 04 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Technically the Frontera is an Isuzu Rodeo.
Adam-D
Member

Registered: 11th May 02
Location: Cheshire
User status: Offline
9th May 04 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by simonp
No, I've never got on well with Ford gearboxes. The term 'Stirring custard' springs to mind. But then again, Ford Owners think the same about the Vaux boxes.

The F28 feels the same as any normal gearbox, reverse can sometimes be a total bitch to select though. Never understood why that is though.


i own a mondeo a corsa and marc has a fiesta

the corsa is nice and direct the fiesta is a little stodgy and the mondeo is a little sticky between but u get used to it

 
New Topic

New Poll

  Related Threads Author Forum Replies Views Last Post
Wheel Problem Matt.H Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice 2 538
17th Apr 03 at 16:32
by CRB 553
 
anti flash plates / photoblocker spray ?????? jono22 Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice 41 2621
15th Mar 04 at 22:16
by GoldPenguin
 
speed limits corsa-sxi General Chat 19 628
10th Feb 04 at 20:44
by luca2020
 
any ideas sassyminx General Chat 27 982
17th Feb 04 at 18:26
by the_legend_of_yrag
 
I want i want i want!!! Mattb General Chat 8 925
12th Apr 04 at 18:04
by Mattb
 

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » difference between 5 speed and 6 speed? 27 database queries in 0.0112801 seconds