corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Corsa B VIN Plate & Wiring

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa B VIN Plate & Wiring
billy-whiz

User status: Offline
3rd Jan 05 at 03:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi everyone, excellent forum, hope some knowledgeable people on here can help me out.

With regard to the 1997/8 3 Door Corsa B 1.2 Merit SOHC Unleaded Engine model, where would the VIN plate be located on this model. There is no plate on the 'slam panel' at the front of the engine bay. There is a barcode on the left hand side of the dash board visible through the windscreen, but should there not also be a metalic VIN plate?

Also, as the below items were not fitted as standard, can anyone advise if the actual wiring is installed but hidden in the loom.

Cigarette Lighter
Boot Light + Switch
Front Speakers (tweeters)
Rear Speakers

Sorry if these are basic questions answered eleswere!
I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help. Thanks in advance.
Ian
Site Administrator

3rd Jan 05 at 03:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure about the VIN, someone with that model/year may be able to compare.

Its unlike that you have the loom for parts which were either not fitted or not a factory option but additions shouldn't be too difficult.

Cigarette lighter - radio has a perm live that can be tapped in to and is suitable I think.

Boot switch, may be there in the bootlid and taped up behind the side panel which you also need to take off to check for the speakers, check quite a way back in to the loom as they're not left dangling.

Front speakers may also be present as the high pass filter is in the tweeter itself and there's only two wires go to door audio per side.

Best answer will be got by a strip-down unfortunately.
billy-whiz

3rd Jan 05 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the quick reply Ian.
I'll let the forum know if I discover the wiring already fitted.

Regarding the VIN, I'd appreciate if someone with a 1997/8 3 Door Corsa B 1.2 Merit SOHC Unleaded Engine model could confirm where the VIN plate is located on thier car.
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

3rd Jan 05 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think theres a plate under a cover thing on the door sill by the seat?
billy-whiz

3rd Jan 05 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the reply flameredcorsab

Beneath the cover you mention a number is stamped into the frame of the car. This matches that found on the barcode on the left hand side of the dash board visible through the windscreen, and that on a sticker inside the drivers side door area.

Do 1997/8 3 Door Corsa B 1.2 Merit SOHC Unleaded Engine models not have a metalic VIN plate on the slam pannel at the front of the engine bay, and just the above. There appear to be fittings for the plate on the slam pannel!
eskiboy

3rd Jan 05 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right there should be a plate on da slam panel, has car been in a accident?????? slam panel may have been removed and plate not replaced?? tweeter wires r in da door u have 2 strip it 2 find it coz it spilt of da lower speaker. rear speaker wires r also in aswell, u got 2 take side panels off in boot, think my wires were green??? boot light wires are also in. have fun hunting!!!
dna23

3rd Jan 05 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah was gonna say maybe it has been in some sort of smack or they have taken it off for a reason :O anyway you could contact previous owner?
1600power

3rd Jan 05 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you should definetly have a plate on the cars slam panel, if one is not there it might be a ringer/stolen car!
Adzy2k2

3rd Jan 05 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

guessin all the wiring is the same jus the bit son the end r missing then? i looked for my rear speaker wires but gave up as i was jus looking at wires without knowing wot i was actually looking for!

may have another look now being astho i know wot wot i am looking for!
billy-whiz

5th Jan 05 at 00:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks everyone for the replies so far.

The car passed MOT successfully last May (so next one not far away), and I have taxed it twice now, so I assume everything is legally OK with the car, and the issue of not actually having the VIN plate. All the other identification marks mentioned above tally up.

Reason for asking about the VIN plate was I needed some touch up paint, and was told the code is on the VIN plate so I thought it worthwhile making some enquiries as to where this may be, or why it is not where you would expect.
Richie

5th Jan 05 at 08:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There should be two plates rivited onto your slam panel. If you have neither then its probably had the slam panel replaced but not had the plates put back on
welshdude

5th Jan 05 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My corsa hasn't got a VIN plate on the slam panel and niether has my dads 52 plate Asrtra that was bought new so that deffinately hasn't had the slam panel replaced
billy-whiz

7th Jan 05 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks to everyone for thier replies so far.

welshdude, what model and registration is your Corsa?
Mine is a 1997/8 3 Door Corsa B 1.2 Merit SOHC Unleaded Engine.
1600power

8th Jan 05 at 01:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by welshdude
My corsa hasn't got a VIN plate on the slam panel and niether has my dads 52 plate Asrtra that was bought new so that deffinately hasn't had the slam panel replaced

i wouldnt be so sure of that mate, ive seen plenty of brand new cars as in 20 miles on the clock 54 reg cars in salvage yards......just because its nearly new doesnt mean a thing these days!

(unless he brought it from Vauxhall brand new in which case why the feck didnt he complain cuz i bet he will have trouble selling it!)

New Poll