corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » The Big 3 Question

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The Big 3 Question
corsacman

User status: Offline
31st Dec 04 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anybody done this on the Corsa C and does it improve the electrical system by much. I get slight light dimming with bass notes, my amp has 3x40amp fuses, but under the bonnet i am using a 60 amp AGU fuse and 4 awg cable from the amp to the battery. I have upgraded the battery (-) to chassis with some 4 gauge but just need the other 2 done. Is it difficult and anybody got any guides etc on how to do them.

thanks
Richie

31st Dec 04 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Serious problem there.

Your amp has 3x40 amp fuses, max load of 120 amps. You MUST have a 120 amp fuse at the battery, and your cutting it fine by using 4 awg wiring.

You should be using 2 or 1/0 awg wiring, and defo a bigger fuse up front. Your ground should also be bigger.

You just need to upgrade the ground from the alternator and the power lead from the alternator. No guide needed really as its as simple as getting to the alternator and adding some wires.
corsacman

31st Dec 04 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thought it would be pretty straight forward doing the other two(never knew the alternator had a ground on the vauxhalls?). Yet again if im stuck i could always ask my vauxhall machanic friend Surley if the current draw was exceeding the fuse rating it would blow. Therefore i cant be drawing that much current do justify the power cable upgrade to 2 gauge or 0. The amp has 4 awg input terminals as well.
Richie

31st Dec 04 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If its not blowing a 60 amp fuse, your amp is not performing near its stated output. And the reason for 4 awg terminals is because you should run the 1/0 awg to a distribution block, then 4awg from there to the amp. The shorter the cable the more current it can deliver.

To be honest now though, thinking back through my head, 4awg can handle around 125 amps up to 18-19 feet, but there is still quite a bit of a voltage drop due to distance. I have the chart here somewhere.

You should still definatly upgrade that fuse though

[Edited on 31-12-2004 by Richie]
corsacman

31st Dec 04 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Upgrading the fuse would that not only be needed if the fuse kept on blowning, due to to much current flowing throw. I thought 4 gauge was fine over that distance. You stated around 125 amps, is the current draw or the fuse size.
Richie

31st Dec 04 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

125 amps is what the cable can handle over 18-19 feet, so you are ok there.

Im just stating that you are using half the rated fuse that you should be using. Yeah it maybe safer but its best to do it all properly to start with

New Poll