corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » three quick questions

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author three quick questions
red_12v

User status: Offline
   28th Jul 04 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

car is 98 `b` 12v , `breeze` model. 3dr.
has eps but no e/w c/l.

1. whats the best way to go about fitting central locking to this ? (just the doors, not bothered about boot plus i would need to buy the c/l type boot lock)...
car has 11 (if i remember correclty) pins in loom going to drivers door, the fuse contacts and some wiring in the fuse box are there for central locking as well but its only got two pins in the passenger door. ive not taken the door trims off but is there any wire in there already on this model ? if not am i better getting s/h vaux stuff or an aftermarket kit ?

2. how easy is it to change the aerial cable ? the plug on mines breaking up looks like the things part of the loom , and its a bit short on space behind the dash , so i was thinking of just buying a extension aerial cable, cutting one end of and joining it to the original cable , prob behind the glove box where theres a bit more space ?

3. my car only has front speakers looking at the car loom theres all four connected to the stereo and i think they are already fitted ? if so where to , do they stop behind the glove box or are they already run down the car and hidden in the rear door trim ?

thanx in advance.

[Edited on 28-07-2004 by red_12v]
Greasemonkey

28th Jul 04 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

answer to question2, its not a good idea to cut aerial cable and re-join it, someone did it on my GSI before i bought it, i havnt had a radio for 3 years, ya have to replace the cable all the way from the headlining back to the head unit
L330wnz

28th Jul 04 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

question 3 seems odd..wot do u mean? have u got rear speakers? or are they connected up to the rears?
Greg_M

28th Jul 04 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all corsas came with rear speakers
Corsa Wheels

28th Jul 04 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry m8, gotta disagree with u on that one, my old car, a '96 corsa merit didnt have rear speakers. it came with the CAR100 standard radio that only supports two speakers. Think the CAR200 was the same. the wires are already there for the speakers, they are connected to the plug that goes in to the headunit, but the wires are fairly hard to find in the back. u need to take off the two pastic rear light blub replacement covers in the boot and look for the wires that run in on the passenger side and the wires that go under the boot lip plastic on the drivers side.. there will be two wires (think brown and white off the top of my head) with plastic clips on the end that are designed for vauxhall speakers, snip these and put on spades for kenwood or what ever u are installing. u might initially struggle to find the wires as they are insulation taped to the main wiring. hope this helps!

[Edited on 28-07-2004 by Corsa Wheels]
L330wnz

28th Jul 04 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ur right mate not ALL corsa's came with rear speakers, but its not hard to install them really. as long as the hu has the right connections its all a matter of wiring them in and finding where u wannt put the rears.. i.e. parcel shelf or in the small enclosures where ya will probaly only fit small coaxials or summink of that kind
Greg_M

28th Jul 04 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well all novas had rear speakers, and the standard radio in these supported the speakers. and as far as i know so do all corsas. so why doesnt yours? but then again merits have hardly anything in it anyway. so i dont know
Corsa Wheels

28th Jul 04 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dunno, i wired in my kenwood 7*10s and the standard head unit sent no singal to the them. stuck in my kenny headunit and they were pretty bloody good! yeh merit had sod all quippy, the enclosure for rear speakers was there, but none were installed and we had the car from new, ah well. gave that car to my sister and bought a brand new 1.4 sxi, so no worries about any of that now
L330wnz

28th Jul 04 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

red_12v

28th Jul 04 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Greasemonkey
answer to question2, its not a good idea to cut aerial cable and re-join it, someone did it on my GSI before i bought it, i havnt had a radio for 3 years, ya have to replace the cable all the way from the headlining back to the head unit

thought that might be the case.
red_12v

28th Jul 04 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by L330wnz
question 3 seems odd..wot do u mean? have u got rear speakers? or are they connected up to the rears?

no rear speakers are fitted (yet) i noticed that the wiring was coming out of the back of the head unit and wondered if it was already down the car, looking at others replies it seems so... i will go and have a good look

red_12v

28th Jul 04 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well thats question 2 and 3 sorted cheers!
what about the c/l ? have tried a search but not sure whats best really.

quote:
Originally posted by red_12v
car is 98 `b` 12v , `breeze` model. 3dr.
has eps but no e/w c/l.

1. whats the best way to go about fitting central locking to this ? (just the doors, not bothered about boot plus i would need to buy the c/l type boot lock)...
car has 11 (if i remember correclty) pins in loom going to drivers door, the fuse contacts and some wiring in the fuse box are there for central locking as well but its only got two pins in the passenger door. ive not taken the door trims off but is there any wire in there already on this model ? if not am i better getting s/h vaux stuff or an aftermarket kit ?

:
red_12v

28th Jul 04 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by red_12v
quote:
Originally posted by L330wnz

no rear speakers are fitted (yet) i noticed that the wiring was coming out of the back of the head unit and wondered if it was already down the car, looking at others replies it seems so... i will go and have a good look

erm help

cant find any spare wires at the rear, looking throught the trim covers, i can see 8 wires to the n/s light unit, 8 across the boot to the o/s light unit, none under the boot trim

four wires running through a multi plug then straight up (1 thick black , 1 thick brown , 1 thin brown with white stripe and 1 thin blue ) rear wiper maybe ?

and three more running up together with the aerial lead, two of which go to the boot light.

do i need to look further forward ? or dont i have any ?
Corsa Wheels

29th Jul 04 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do you have a 3 or 5 door mate? i found the wires there on the 3 door.. are your speakers under the grilles on the left and right of the parcel shelf?
red_12v

29th Jul 04 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a three door mate.

yes, factory speaker grilles are there in the parcel shelf trim thing already ...

cant see any wiring at the back though ...

had a quick look up front behind the glovebox and could just about make out the wiring from the stereo plug to this point , so its fitted somewhere ... im beginning to wonder if it stops behind the rear panel on mine though...

any more ideas or should i pull off the side trim in the boot and / or the trim in the rear to see ?

Adam-D

29th Jul 04 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right question 3
not all corsa came with rear speakers but yes the wiring is there was the same on my old corsa

question 2 you may nee a new ariel but if you get a cheap ariel from halford and fit it somwhere hidden behind a panel or summit.

question 1
i got cental locking fitted with my alarm so i had remote locking its a fiddly job best left to someone who gets paid to do it
red_12v

30th Jul 04 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers for answers

as for speaker wiring i will pull out the rear trim in the boot and have a close look.

red_12v

31st Jul 04 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just took trim out of side of boot , untaped wiring ,couldnt find any spare wiring for speakers, worked back towards front of car and ended up taking trim out of passenger footwell, found two large plugs linking front half of wiring loom to rear half.

theres no wiring from these plugs any further back for the rear speakers! (took the top of the plugs to be sure) so my car doesnt have any rear speaker wiring further fitted beyond the passenger footwell,

ah, well...

New Poll