corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Head porting and polishing

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Head porting and polishing
Aussie GSi

User status: Offline
   12th Oct 04 at 06:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey guys,

Well, seeings as my valve stem seals are on their way out, and it seems the head has to come off my X16 to get to them, was thinking about perhaps fettling with the head a bit. What kind of gains could I be looking at from porting? What about skimming? Have many people done this? If so, how'd she go?

Aus
broster
Premium Member

12th Oct 04 at 06:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not many gains to be had from skimming, just a better higher compression ration, gains of 4-5bhp i belive can be had on a goos job. get the manifolds matched to it
James R

12th Oct 04 at 09:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Courtnet give a 15% gain as quoted, but I thikn that's unrealistic, It's more like 10% (ish) depending on what you have done. Also to get the long radius on the exhaust port the exhaust guides have to come out ( to do the bes job possible) I had this done and took the oppertunity to have bronze high flow guides put in.
JJ

12th Oct 04 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When i was doin mine i was told not to polish... so i just ported it... Also fitted the bronze guides
James R

12th Oct 04 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You should highly polish the exhaust ( in theory) and leave the inlet slightly rough to add turbulence in the inlet tract, but by rough it's more like the finish of 1200 grit wet and dry, virtually smooth.
Aussie GSi

12th Oct 04 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey fellas,

Yeah, that's what I've been told also, leave the inlet ports rough. If they're too smooth, they fuel mixture can form large fuel bubbles, which isn't optimum. Rough ports keep the mixture fine.

Aus
masterx81

12th Oct 04 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm also need to say if there is any optimization to the x16xe cylinder head...
I have one engine (from a crashed corsa) to exchange with my actual...
So there isn't any modify to make better this head?
I'am thinking minimun to do a gasket mathing, intake ports rough and chamber & exhaust polished and rise the cr (lowering the head) to 11:1 (like the c16xe), and exchange the cams and giude valves (if they aren't too expensive, with broze ones), an surely changing all the gasket...
I wont to run the head always with original tappets (hydraulic, for the maintenance free operation) and i don't think to pass the 8000 rpm line, if possible a good torque from low rpm...
Is possible?
Enlarge ports?
I have also read to restrict the intake port to increase the air velocity (I have also an open thread on the argument on migweb...)
Any comment?
masterx81

12th Oct 04 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ops, I think that i have forgotten more hard coil...

New Poll