corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 1.6 16v Beast - peoples advice needed

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1.6 16v Beast - peoples advice needed
ChrisD16v

User status: Offline
8th Oct 04 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right i need some advice i am thinking of either gettin a conversion or tuning my car early nxt year. If i went down the route of tuning the car what sort of power could i expect to get, and what sort of performance would this give me. Bearing in mind i already have a full stainless steel custom exhaust and a k&n induction kit? Advice appreciated!!
ChrisD16v

8th Oct 04 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anybody?????
tobyD

8th Oct 04 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alrite chris,
nowadays a 2.0 16v conversions are the most popular route, u can get them done fairly cheaply:
eg - you can pick up a red top engine + g/box for about £500, but dont forget you will need to change the clutch, brakes (rear discs too), possibly an Lsd etc etc. you may think this is a bit too expensive but you will get 150+ bhp just like that and work up to 170bhp v.easily with just a chip (u already have induction kit and exhaust).
If you stuck with the same engine, the most you can really do is chip, induction kit, exhaust whch will be cheap but only expect to get 120bhp max, then your into the lines of throttle bodies, nos etc which is an expensivbe route for what it is.
my advice would be a 2.0ltr conversion which will set you back a bit, but if you think of all the benefits, max speed, easy tuning, higher torque levels etc, it is a worthy investment, and to say you a got a 2.0ltr corsa...well, you would be the daddy.
PaulW

8th Oct 04 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1.6 16v tuning is fun

best people to chat to on here will be broster, greasemonky & andy, as they all have tuned 1.6 16v lumps (except greasemonkey as his momma raised a fool cos he sold his car)

Easiest way to start, get a performance exhaust manifold, SBD sell some for around the £350 mark, and a mantzel power box, followed by a UniChip remap. Should be lookin around 130bhp mark there

follow with some cams & uprate a few bits here & there, possible of around 145bhp I reckon with that...

Or go down Andy's route... TB's...

SBD do a few kits for the 16XE engine, TB165 and TB185 kits (numbers represent the BHP mark) there best route to go but will cost you mega £££'s

2ltr is a bit front-heavy for the corsa, yeah ok you can get it set up perfectly, but the car would feel so much happier round corners if you tuned the 1.6 up

I'm lookin at tuning up my X16XE engine with either a fanimold like Broster & Greasemonkey, or go straight to TB's... Depends how much cash I can save up by next summer as will be when I do the work on the engine

[Edited on 08-10-2004 by PaulW]
PaulW

8th Oct 04 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and ditch the K&N for a BMC CDA...
Rhino

8th Oct 04 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldnt do a rear disk convertion, uprated front brakes would be better and rear durms are more than good enough!

You could prob get a 2ltr 16v in your motor for about 1500 quid supplied and fitted.
Tuning a red top is pretty easy and power and torque is good, easly tunnable as well. exhaust, and chip and you could be looking at 170 bhp.

On the other side a 1.6 16v is extreemly tunable, and acheiving 150bhp is realistic with a fully exhaust, exhaust manifold, inletmanifold and chip.

a 2ltr 16v is always goin to have more torque than a 1.6 16v, but i like then idea of tunning a 1.6, that why i did it.

My 1.6 16v has full exhaust and the inlet manifold and is pretty close to keeping up with valver corsa's, hits the limiter in 5th as well.
If it was me i would stick with the 16..

Choice is yours...
broster
Premium Member

8th Oct 04 at 17:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rhino
I wouldnt do a rear disk convertion, uprated front brakes would be better and rear durms are more than good enough!

You could prob get a 2ltr 16v in your motor for about 1500 quid supplied and fitted.
Tuning a red top is pretty easy and power and torque is good, easly tunnable as well. exhaust, and chip and you could be looking at 170 bhp.

On the other side a 1.6 16v is extreemly tunable, and acheiving 150bhp is realistic with a fully exhaust, exhaust manifold, inletmanifold and chip.

a 2ltr 16v is always goin to have more torque than a 1.6 16v, but i like then idea of tunning a 1.6, that why i did it.

My 1.6 16v has full exhaust and the inlet manifold and is pretty close to keeping up with valver corsa's, hits the limiter in 5th as well.
If it was me i would stick with the 16..

Choice is yours...

id stick with the 1.6 too, i went from a 1.4 16v to a 1.6 16v, did the conversion and a few toher bits and bobs, very happy with the outcome. not come accross a valva corsa yet tho....
Siberia

8th Oct 04 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive just installed a c16xe with a mantzel power box into my corsa and the thing fecking flys......

haven said that if i was aloud have a 2litre i would have gone down that route.
miles

8th Oct 04 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would go the C20 route tbh, but I wouldn't pay anywhere near £1500 for the privilge!
corsa120

8th Oct 04 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a 1.6 with 160 bhp only just keeps with an xe corsa as donna and daimo proved

stick with 1.6 gr8 engines just 2.0 i think is a better starting point as u got spnd over 2000 quid to get 150bhp which xe already has for 1500, with 500 left over u should already have zorst/filter etc and u got 500 for remap etc if u like
ChrisD16v

8th Oct 04 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well i was looking at around the £1500 to £2000 mark, on the other hand though i might just buy the engine now (1.6 or 2.0) and spend 12months workin on it, tune it up.

Has anybody here had any engine balancing or blue printing done on the there engines cos av heard this is really beneficial when it comes to revvin it up. I have heard you can get upto 10,000 revs safely if eveything is done right!!!!!!
RobHayes

8th Oct 04 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've got a tuned 1.6 16v too

New Poll