corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » c20xe in corsa, any models harder to wire in?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author c20xe in corsa, any models harder to wire in?
moddedcorsa

User status: Offline
26th Sep 04 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive tried the search function but theres very little posts on wiring a c20xe in.
, ive got a c20xe engine lined up and want to put it in a corsa (had a 1.2 8v corsa, sold it, bought a mk4 astra 1.8 sport, thats now sold and i want another corsa, but a faster 1)

So im on the look out for a cheap lowish spec model, eg 1.2 8v merit.

Are there any corsas that are harder to wire in the c20xe's ellectrics that i should avoid, eg 1.0 12v? (just with it being 3 cylinder id imagine its gonna cause problems? eg rev counter??)

please help me out
deanmcreynolds26

26th Sep 04 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive hear of the 1.0 12v u have to change more but im not 100% sure, try buy a cheap corsa sport or SRI as they have better interiors and that as well
RobHayes

26th Sep 04 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1.0 12v and 1.2 16v are the worst apparently, due to havin newer technology loom
moddedcorsa

26th Sep 04 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers, so as i thought im better goin 4 a pre 97 1.2 8v then?

would like a sport/sri, but it will cost alot more to insure, with it being a higher insurance group, and having an engine from a group 15ish car.
deanmcreynolds26

26th Sep 04 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the ins will be the group that the engien is in, so shouldnt cost anymore imo

can get them for pretty cheap nowadays or try an auction place as u arent worrieda bout the engine...
moddedcorsa

26th Sep 04 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it will cost more, goin on the principal if u had a bog std sport with c20xe, and a std merit with xe, the sport is going to be more tempting to theives as its of better spec in the first place
ed

26th Sep 04 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You completely remove the engine bay wiring loom and any associated wires when putting in a C20XE and replace the whole lot with the Motronic loom and ECU. Shouldn't be any harder as you are basically starting from scratch, obviously apart from the dash sensors which are wired in by colour from the engine bay wiring loom....
ed

26th Sep 04 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Obviiously there will be more wires in the bay if your car as A/C or electronic PAS e.t.c... but you don't need to touch those - could cause confusion...
moddedcorsa

26th Sep 04 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers. the whole conversion is straight forward just the wiring thats worrying me a bit, but with help should manage no bother
AdamF
Premium Member

26th Sep 04 at 18:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the wiring is colour for colour. there is a plug with nine wires next to the ecu in the drivers footwel. cut the plug off the corsa engine loom and connect to xe loom and tit will plug straight in to the other plug in the car
ed

26th Sep 04 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The conversion would seem to be very straight forward, but in practice it is more than likely it will take a bit of extra work as this is your first go...
myke

26th Sep 04 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

here's where the 2ltr engine loom needs joining to the corsa body loom.
as said, just match colour for colour.

other thing to note is that the alternator/starter motor loom needs to be swapped from the corsa engine onto the 2ltr.
moddedcorsa

27th Sep 04 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks everybody.

so the 2.0 engine loom is fed through the bulkhead whilst the corsa engine loom is cut as shown in pic, then removed from engine bay.

but the starter motor and altenator wiring is left in engine bay,and conected to the 2.0

Once done, will all the dash lights work ok? ie engine management, and any other warning lights
moddedcorsa

27th Sep 04 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i take it that the c20xe ecu sits in the original corsa location, and any wires/conections will plug in??

1800ed you are quite right, im bound to have few wee problems, thats why im trying to see exactly how everything id done before i attempt it.
J100RSA

27th Sep 04 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there all piss easy 1.0 12v.1.2 16v takes about 10 mins to wire all the rest take around 5mins
ed

27th Sep 04 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea the ECU sits in the same position. There is a big plug from the engine bay wiring loom that plugs into it and the speedo wires are colour matched as myke has shown.
moddedcorsa

28th Sep 04 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cool!! (Just out of interest, what is different on the 1.0 and the 1.2 16v looms that makes them more difficult, and take longer to wire in?)
Richie

28th Sep 04 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The ECU on 1.0 12v and 1.2 16v engines are on the engine! NOT behind the drivers side kickpanel!
ed

28th Sep 04 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But he said that he wanted to put it in a 1.2 8v, he was only questioning if it would be harder in a 1.0 so quit laughing.
moddedcorsa

29th Sep 04 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thabnk you for pointing that out, and 1800ed, thank you for sticking up for me (ive never seen a 1.0 or 1.2 16v engine, apart from pics, so how should i know where the ecu is)
Richie

1st Oct 04 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wasnt taking the piss out of you! just the people that said that the ECU is in the same position on a 1.0 and 1.2 16v!

When you come round to doing the c20xe im sure you have to run the loom into the car itself and down into the kickpanel.
James R

1st Oct 04 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The MK2 astra loom are less tidy to wire in cause the plug for power etc... is in the engine bay.
moddedcorsa

1st Oct 04 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thank you people, i cant wait until its all done, been doing sooo much research and its sounds more appealing by the day

New Poll