corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Running problems

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Running problems
Visionz

User status: Offline
15th Aug 04 at 01:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK.

Ive got a Corsa B, 1.2 8v SOHC engine.

My problem is that i get intermittent lack of power from the engine, sometimes it seems to be revving low or sometimes it even flares up on its own. When this occurs the engine revs wont pickup and hittin the excelerator can stall it.

Now i think this sounds like a flooding problem or a lack of ignition. I can smell fuel when it does this so im guessing that this is the unburnt fuel getting pumped out the exhaust. At first my thoughts were with the single point injection system that the car has, but then with the unburnt fuel and everything im inclined to believe its the distributor-less ignition system (dont ask me why they call it that it looks like a coil pack to me).

So tomorrow morning im gonna take off the HT leads, check out the resistance i get through them to make sure it isnt them at fault, remove the spark plugs and give them a cleaning (but i dont think its them), then if that doesnt help im thinking of going a vauxy scrappers and picking up a 2nd hand ignition system for it (i would buy a new one, but since i dont know if its that a fault i dont wanna waste my cash).

So have any of you lot got any thoughts or advice with this fault finding, if so i would be hugely greatful for the advice.

+ Just another quick question.

The alternator belt is worn and im gonna replace it, now to me it looks like its manually tensioned by the bracked that the altenator sits on. So im guessing you just mark out the position of where the bracket sits on the slider, then slacken it off, change the belt and then screw it back to its previous place on the adjuster.

If im wrong, feel free to let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help, ive just bought the car and so dont know a lot bout Corsas atm.
mossy

15th Aug 04 at 01:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

come again
Icy

15th Aug 04 at 01:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ICV?
mines like that gona stall when accelerate so gotta push clutch down then add more power
DJGoMatt

15th Aug 04 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine used to do this too, couldnt solve it, did all the above, so i sold it and bought an astra. everyone will tell you its the ICV
Cybermonkey

15th Aug 04 at 08:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine used to do this a lot, same engine. Found out it was knackered power terminals on battery. Check for corrosion.
Visionz

15th Aug 04 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK, so im going to go and check the battery as well as all the other previously mentioned stuff on the ignition side.

+ I was wondering what the icv is exactly (i would search the forum for it but you cant search for something with 3 characters in it). I know that its the 'idler air control valve, but i was just wondering where it is and if it would cause bad running on my engine when it wasnt running. Cause my car seems to misfire when running, another thing that i forgot to mention is that when it does stall from me pressing the accelerator to start it again i have to start it with my foot floored to the accelerator. Then i have to rev the shit outa it for a short while until i let go and it'll idle.

Also do what are the side effects of a mostly bolloxed alternator belt, as as ive previously said mine is pretty much on its last legs.

And thanks for your input guys (and icy thats what i have to do to pull off, get the revs going and then pull off)
Mikorsa16v

15th Aug 04 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Help zone?
Corsa Sport Gav

15th Aug 04 at 13:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

icv - idel control valve..
Visionz

15th Aug 04 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As already stated by me, i know what ICV stands for, Idler air control valve. I just dont know where it is or what it looks like on my engine.

Can any of you guys help there plz?
CorsAsh

15th Aug 04 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a little black box on the front of the throttle body. If you look at the TB, its on the front at the left hand side, has a cable running into the underside of it... There's two torx screws that hold it in, take these out, clean the spring and piston bit inside, then put some oil on the piston and gently push it back into the body of the ICV...

You'll know what I mean once you get it out and have a look at it. When you done the above, put the ICV back in place, reassemble any bits you've taken apart to get to it, then start your engine. Revs will go sky high for a couple of seconds then settle down once the ICV resets.

Hope this helps. Invest in a Haynes manual too unless you got one already...
Visionz

15th Aug 04 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the guide Ash, i will get onto it 2morro after work.

Ive got a haynes for my car, i just fucking hate them.

Im a mechanic by trade, but i dont generally work on small cars like these and as most mechanics will tell you, Haynes manuals generally suck.

I would much rather get my info from someone who knows what they are talking about, like the population of this forum.

[Edited on 15-08-2004 by Visionz]
Cybermonkey

15th Aug 04 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

errr this engine might not have an ICV since its a fairly old design that used to work on carbs in Novas. It has a hot air valve going into the airbox which adjusts according to the vacuum pressure. Comes off the manifold.
Cybermonkey

15th Aug 04 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Check the valve inside the airbox, it may be all crapped up and stuck.
Visionz

16th Aug 04 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It does have an icv as it happens, although i had no time at work today or afterwards to clean it. So thats been persponed until Tuesday lunch time.

Ill also take a look at the airbox flap, i take it that you mean the vacuum controled one from the inlet, that (i think) runs off the red cable?
Visionz

18th Aug 04 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well it solved it. Thanks for all the help guys.

N it was a piece of piss to do, i did it in 10 min at the start of my lunch at work. Its ran the best it has for a while now.

Cheers you lot for the help.

New Poll