corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Torsion Bars???

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Torsion Bars???
Ryan L

User status: Offline
20th Jul 04 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats the deal with them as on saxo's / 106's it always says lowered torsion bar and wondering what they are and what they do. Is it possible to convert a car back to std suspension after its been altered
Adam-D

20th Jul 04 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes its possible to put it back the way it was they just adjust it
Ryan L

20th Jul 04 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how do they lower the car or do they just need to be altered so the tracking / allignment isn't out
Adam-D

20th Jul 04 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a metal bar and spring "ithink" and they adjust the tension so it sits lower/higher
there isnt any tracking on it i dont think

like the corsa's rear beam no tracking
Ryan L

21st Jul 04 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so the springs on the rear are not replaced when lowering the car then, only the ones at the front
deany

21st Jul 04 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theres not springs on the back i think
Greasemonkey

21st Jul 04 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right a torsion bar is exactly like it sounds, imagin a round steel bar, if you twist it, it would be under 'torsion', instead of springs retuning the car the is ride height the twisting action or torsion on the bar gets the car back to normal ride height, the twist in the bar is controlled by dampers as a corsa is, only down side is when you drop it a few clicks the bar is under more load (torsion) and is harder to twist so the rear end becoms very hard
Ryan L

21st Jul 04 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers for clearing that up for me
L330wnz

21st Jul 04 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mate had his saxo 'lowered' 60mm at the back when he had the standard 15" saxo alloys..they had to 'cut' the torsion bar to drop it 60mm he then stuck some 16's on and now when he has peeps in the back the tyre catches on something metal in the arch... any ideas? He went back to the place that lowered it but they sed its his fault for changing the wheels afterwards and they cant adjust it as its been 'cut'.. I dont understand neither does he..!
Greasemonkey

21st Jul 04 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think the wheels on saxos catch on the rear bumper bracket, this need trimming, as for cutting the torsion bar, thats bollox, i have never ever ever heard of that, basically when ya take it down clicks you are putting what hold the wheels on a bit further round some splines so at rest the car returns to a lower height. Its not really a DIY job but can be done, but if gone wrong you can either hurt your self very badly or lose all torsion in the bar. I really carn think what they must have cut!!!!!
Had a think and a fag, only thing i can think of is when you twist something it naturally shortens in length as the material compreses, what they might have done it trimed the splines to get the rear hub assembly on meaning that when you take the compression off of it to take it back to factory settings the bar will be too short, i dunno, im no expert on the subject, im just guessing really

[Edited on 21-07-2004 by Greasemonkey]

New Poll