corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Sound Cutting Out

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Sound Cutting Out
pmoz84

User status: Offline
   4th Jul 04 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have the following set-up

Alpine CDA9835R h/u
Vibe 12" Active Sub
Front: MB Quart PSD216 Components
Back: Pioneer TSA6920 6x9's
Fronts & Backs powered by Rockford 501X Amp

On my old h/u (Pioneer DEH-P8400MP) it was fine

But if I whack the sound up on my Alpine h/u the sound from the fronts & rears is fine, but after about 5 mins the sound cuts out for about 10-15secs, then comes back on and keeps doing this, but the sub still pumps out the bass, and if i turn the sound down it stops doing it

Any ideas as to why this is happening, look like a right pillock when it cuts out

[Edited on 04-07-2004 by pmoz84]
Dom

4th Jul 04 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like its over heating mate or not enough juice is getting to the HU. First thing to note, is that if the alpine unit is one of those 4x60w jobbies, then you need a direct positive feed from the battery to the HU.

Although is it the HU thats cutting out or the amp? If its the amp, it probably lack of power (very unlikey) or its over heating...in which case you gonna have to increase the air flow around the thing, using fans etc

If its the HU, does it completely switch off or just cut the sound? If its the former, then i would check power cables and at worst run a direct feed to the battery anyways (alpine HU seem to take alot of juice eitherway). If its the sound only then its more than likey its over heating, in which case take the unit out (rest it on something) keep it connected and wack it up and see if it does it again. If it is over heating then your gonna have to increase the air flow again

pmoz84

4th Jul 04 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

headunit stays on, looks normal, and the sub still kicks out bass, just the fronts & rears that stop, connected to the Rockford amp

headunit is a 4x60 jobbie, but the bloke @ BassJunkies insisted that it didn't need a direct positive feed

reckon its airflow to the amp then?

[Edited on 04-07-2004 by pmoz84]
johns purple beast

4th Jul 04 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is the amp covered by anythin ?
pmoz84

4th Jul 04 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Amp is in the boot, screwed onto the back of the rear seats

Strange how I had no problems with the Pioneer h/u
johns purple beast

4th Jul 04 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how often does it do it ?
Dom

4th Jul 04 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i saw the piccy of your amp in the boot (in ye garage) and it looks fine, so i dont think thats over heating, but i bet you any money that its the lack of a direct power connection to the HU Its usually the most common problem with 4x60w Alpine units
pmoz84

5th Jul 04 at 01:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Assuming it is the fact that I need a constant positive direct from the battery, why would it just be cutting out sound to the fronts & rears, and not to the sub?
Dom

5th Jul 04 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmm....you have a point there mate wasnt thinking straight, since you have the fronts and rears amped

Does the amp loose power or switch off? (check by wacking a multimeter between ground and the remote lead and see if the HU is switching that line off) If not the remote lead, check that there is a signal going down the pre-outs on the speaker amp (not sub obviously).

Personally i would still get a perm feed from the battery, just to be safe, since the 4x60w HUs SHOULD have a perm feed But thinking about it, it could be your amp....but do the checks above, and see if its the amp thats cutting out or if the HU is shutting the amp down or cutting signal on the preouts If its not any of the stuff on the checklist, then wack a perm feed onto the HU and see if thats solves it. Otherwise, if its not the amp...and the amp is still getting a remote signal and preout signal...then fook knows mate. Im running out of ideas after that....the amp looks fine and theres plenty of space around the amp, so i cant see it over heating, thats why im thinking maybe its not the HU but more like the amp to be dying since you say the HU stays on.

good luck mate

p.s - make sure you've done the usualy checks of making sure cables are secured and connected properly and that there is a decent earth etc
AdiSRI

5th Jul 04 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if all 4 channels are amped u dont need a battery feed at all, as you should of turned off the onboard IC amp in the hu, at which point the draw from the power system of the hu will be very low.

Cheack that u have turned the onborad IC amp of, as if u havent that may be overheating as it has no load on it and causing the cutting u describe....
Richie

5th Jul 04 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you've snipped existing HU amp wires make sure they arent shorting on anything or together, this was a fault found in a mates car before.
pmoz84

5th Jul 04 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have turned off Power IC setting on the h/u so the onboard amp is not used.

The thing that is really confusing me is that I never had this problem with my Pioneer DEH-P8400MP h/u, it's only started happening with my new Alpine CDA9835R h/u, but the h/u doesn't lose any power
Richie

5th Jul 04 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it could be a fault with the headunit itself
Dom

5th Jul 04 at 23:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

surely the simplest way would be to make sure that the amp is still switched on and getting a signal from both the remote lead and preouts when the sound cuts? If not then the HU is at fault, otherwise ye amp is fooked

Then just trace it from there

New Poll